Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times

Advertisements

Wow, I didn't even know states had official sports haha. I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland had those medieval fairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Wow, I didn't even know states had official sports haha. I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland had those medieval fairs.

They have one of those "Renaissance Fests" in Crownsville every year. My wife likes it. I found it uninteresting.

Unfortunately, jousting, as practiced for the state sport, does not consist of armor-clad horsemen trying to unseat each other with lances. Instead, a horseman uses a lance-like device in an attempt to skewer three little rings hanging from frames.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:05 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I've always loved Virginia's seal

Old 01-22-2014, 02:02 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
They have one of those "Renaissance Fests" in Crownsville every year. My wife likes it. I found it uninteresting.

Unfortunately, jousting, as practiced for the state sport, does not consist of armor-clad horsemen trying to unseat each other with lances. Instead, a horseman uses a lance-like device in an attempt to skewer three little rings hanging from frames.
The jousting in Crownsville is toned down for the safety of the participants. I have seen the "knights" unseated quite a few times though. There some element of realism to it, but they avoid having participants die (which was a huge problem in traditional jousting, you'd end up with half your knights dead or injured at the end).

I've been to many of the ring-jousting tournaments. They're still interesting for me, but if anyone is expecting to see something out of King Arthur they're better off watching staged productions like Medieval Times.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:31 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
The jousting in Crownsville is toned down for the safety of the participants. I have seen the "knights" unseated quite a few times though. There some element of realism to it, but they avoid having participants die (which was a huge problem in traditional jousting, you'd end up with half your knights dead or injured at the end).

I've been to many of the ring-jousting tournaments. They're still interesting for me, but if anyone is expecting to see something out of King Arthur they're better off watching staged productions like Medieval Times.

I didn't see any of the jousting in Crownsville. I figured that it was staged pretty much the same way as Medieval Times.

Never attended an official ring-jousting event.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:27 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post

So there's nothing like this huh?...

Full Metal Jousting - The Biggest Hits - YouTube

Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
My city's (St. Paul, MN) flag (I love it):

Old 01-23-2014, 03:05 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
I forgot about nicknames too. I think most of the midwest ones are interesting, not so much because the names are cool, but because of the history behind it. For example Wisconsin is the Badger state not only because of the animal, but because the first settlers were lead miners and apparently people said they lived like badgers. Hence the badger state.

Iowa's is a little more obscure with the Hawkeye state. Apparently a newspaper editor really liked last of the last of the mohicans and felt it represented Iowa. As usual my home state is boring. Were the Cornhusker state and we just named it after the football team unlike most state colleges who took their name from the state nickname like the Badgers or Gophers or Hoosiers or Hawkeyes or Buckeyes or Wolverines. I think Nebraska needs to go back to being either the Treeplanter state or better yet, the Beef State, which was on our license plates in the 50's and 60's. I think Beef State promotes a pretty cool image. I guess Cornhuskers is alright, but no pun intended it seems corny and contrived. Beef state just sounds better.
It's better than the Bugeaters.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM

375 posts, read 799,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
It's better than the Bugeaters.
I actually like Bugeaters. I think it sounds kind of cool. Also, the significance that people were so tough out here that they had to eat bugs, i like that.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Well, according to our license plates, MA = the spirit of America

Boston itself doesn't have any incredibly "cool" or creative names I don't think, but the city's seal looks nice I suppose....

DSC09137 by caveat.doctor, on Flickr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.