Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yes or No
Yes 7 14.00%
No 43 86.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
With the exception of tribes in the Southwest, Natives that we had here in the US didn't build structures. They were a mostly nomadic people and never settled anywhere for long.
Riiiight, like Cahokia near present St Louis: Cahokia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"One of the greatest cities of the world, Cahokia was larger than London was in AD 1250."

"Cahokia's population at its peak in the 1200s was among the largest cities in the world, and its ancient population would not be surpassed by any city in the United States until the late 18th century."

There was a whole rich Mississippi River culture with cities extending from Wisconsin to the delta and east to the Atlantic; They extracted copper from Upper Michigan and traded with other natives all the way down to South America.

Educate yourself.

----

This is but one example of pre-European "Indian" culture. Sans a plague that makes the Black Death seem like sniffles, Euros may never have "settled" this country at all - 96% of them were wiped out by small pox: Guns Germs & Steel: Variables. Smallpox | PBS

Some entertaining info at Cracked: 6 Ridiculous Lies You Believe About the Founding of America | Cracked.com

----

I agree that the "noble savage" idea is bunk and these people were conquerors just like the Euros. Let's not pretend, however, that your average native has it good at this point and "just needs to get over" the genocide sanctioned by the same government that still governs them. Check out a rez some day. I think most would find it quite shocking, depending on the tribe (some have done well with gov money/gambling).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
No, I think it is impossible at this point.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
Quote:
Aztecs weren't even in the United States! They were in Mexico and Central America.

With the exception of tribes in the Southwest, Natives that we had here in the US didn't build structures. They were a mostly nomadic people and never settled anywhere for long.

As for the media is that a joke? The media loves to portray the natives as these people sitting around a camp fire eating corn on the cob with white people jumping out of the bushes and killing them all. The media glorifies the supposedly innocence of the Natives to a point that just isn't truthful. I have never ever seen on TV or in a book that the Natives were portrayed negatively. You have to do that research yourself to see the gruesome cultures that they lived in.

As for this, it is just pure NONSENSE! How does telling people to not dwell on the past support the mindset that genocide is okay? This statement is so absurd I don't even know where to begin.

"This is the same mentality that legitimized native genocide, slavery, and the colonization of the Americans, Africa, and pacific islands while attributing it to racial inferiority."
You really do not know what you are talking about, do you? The Mississipian tribes lived in a city called Cahokia for over 200 years. The city was larger then contemperous London. You dont think they had to build structures to house the people and food?

And do you really think the European settlers that first got here found a virgin landscape? Of course they didnt! The Indians had been adapting the land for centuries and there was plenty of evidence of large scale farming socieities. The reason the Americas appeared pristine was because diseases brought over by Europeans killed 90+% of all the people in less then a century.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
Quote:
Aztecs weren't even in the United States! They were in Mexico and Central America.

As for the media is that a joke? The media loves to portray the natives as these people sitting around a camp fire eating corn on the cob with white people jumping out of the bushes and killing them all. The media glorifies the supposedly innocence of the Natives to a point that just isn't truthful. I have never ever seen on TV or in a book that the Natives were portrayed negatively. You have to do that research yourself to see the gruesome cultures that they lived in.

As for this, it is just pure NONSENSE! How does telling people to not dwell on the past support the mindset that genocide is okay? This statement is so absurd I don't even know where to begin.

"This is the same mentality that legitimized native genocide, slavery, and the colonization of the Americans, Africa, and pacific islands while attributing it to racial inferiority."
The irony of you telling someone to do research when your past is full of inaccuracies about native americans. It's downright disrespectful that Americans have so many misconceptions about natives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear5599 View Post
Poor blacks and latinos aren't violent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear5599 View Post
Had me fooled with the whole "They are a small minority yet an overwhelming majority in prisons"

Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
The Amerindian population is actually growing in the US. Many of these so called "Hispanics" who immigrated here in recent years are racially Amerindians.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
The Amerindian population is actually growing in the US. Many of these so called "Hispanics" who immigrated here in recent years are racially Amerindians.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Are you sure about that? In many Latin American countries, they distinguish Amerindians from Mestizos and acknowledge the difference like we do in this country.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Are you sure about that? In many Latin American countries, they distinguish Amerindians from Mestizos and acknowledge the difference like we do in this country.
No we don't, the US Census is a joke in this regard. If your mestizo or mulatto your "Other". This is the reason many Hispanics don't know what to put and end up counting themselves as Native American. Thus the huge increase within Native Americans, Other races, and White. Oddly enough it gets too precise on Asian races. Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese are all different races.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:38 PM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
No we don't, the US Census is a joke in this regard. If your mestizo or mulatto your "Other". This is the reason many Hispanics don't know what to put and end up counting themselves as Native American. Thus the huge increase within Native Americans, Other races, and White. Oddly enough it gets too precise on Asian races. Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese are all different races.
Doesn't necessarily make them native american, it's more of a cultural difference, most Mexicans have a sizeable degree of Indian blood. There are native americans from Mexico like Zapotec and Tarahumara that come over here, they're native american. There are Mexicans that try to embrace their indigenous heritage, and with the right influences they're native as far as I'm concerned, I mean I know some that kick it with natives and join in their activism and such. The average Mexican-American is mestizo though.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
You consistently display a pattern of racism in more than one topic. First against Asians then against native Americans. I hadn't had the time to revisit the thread about skin lightness due to work but it was consistent there as well and when I spoke up against it because of my knowledge, you resorted to making assumptions about other posters' ancestries.

True enough, I chanced upon this by you, chest thumping and proclaiming the US to be the "most beautiful country in the world", you probably wear Old Glory bandanas and T shirts as casual wear.
You went to two European countries on short trips and lived your whole life in one southern state before recently moving to another, no wonder you can't imagine the concept of understanding of world cultures.

//www.city-data.com/forum/world...l-country.html
Ah! I see you want to troll this thread as well. Okay, I'll play along, but it is Chinese New Year and I have to meet my friends soon.

Firstly, that thread of mine was awesome! lol. And I purposefully created it because of all the insults that get thrown at Americans on the world forum. And it is quite a true statement actually. America is indeed the most beautiful country on earth. Feel free to debate your thoughts on that thread and I will join you.

Secondly, regarding my clothing style, I am much more of an H&M guy when it comes to my close. LOVE H&M. I don't own any bandanas or hats but I do have two beanie hats (one of them I purchased in Amsterdam and I still take good care of it).

I don't know where you are from, but I still think you have some insecurities about who and what you are. And I have actually been for four countries: Holland, Spain, Canada, and Germany (though I admit, in Germany I was stuck at the airport for the day). That is considerably more than most Americans make it to.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 01-30-2014 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.