Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,569 times

Advertisements

Good comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
In NYC (where 9/11 happened, of course), darker skinned whites are often assumed to be Italian-American among other ethnicities. Maybe Jewish, too (as plenty of Jews are darker complexioned).

Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Despite the news stations saying "omg we changed so much after 9/11"
My life doesnt feel that different, except i aged a lot got a couple pay raises but thats pretty much it.... never experienced much prejudice before or after 9/11.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
There are a lot of Muslims in New York and New Jersey. The work in our stores, they work with us in our offices, they live on our streets, some of them even ran out of the World Trade Center alongside the rest of us. It seems to me that people outside the NY metro area are more concerned about them than we are.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
The Sikh from India were innocent victims of 9/11 because they were turbans and were beards too.
Yes, unfortunately, there were incidents against them because people are idiots. Not that it's OK to attack a Muslim because another Muslim did something wrong.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:37 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Sorry but your post is idiotic. The reason you feel this way is perhaps you come across thousands of Middle Eastern people and you don't realize that they are Middle Eastern. Go to Beirut and sit at a café (when it gets safer) and you might be amazed. Complexions vary greatly in the Middle East, but some generalizations is that people in the Persian Gulf are darker and more swarthy. However, people from Syria, Lebanon, Occupied Territories, Jordan, and Northern Iraq have varying complexions that you might just pass them at Costco and not realize that they are Arab.
CravingMountains is right. There is something about arabs that distinguishes them. Their complexion might or might not be dark but their facial features are typically different from europeans. Because I grew up around many of them, I recognize an arab when I see one. Just like some people in europe are able to tell a jewish from a non jewish when both would look the same to you. My friends from Greece were however unable to distinguish an arab from a white person.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
CravingMountains is right. There is something about arabs that distinguishes them. Their complexion might or might not be dark but their facial features are typically different from europeans. Because I grew up around many of them, I recognize an arab when I see one. Just like some people in europe are able to tell a jewish from a non jewish when both would look the same to you. My friends from Greece were however unable to distinguish an arab from a white person.
This is very true! If you live around/know a certain ethnicity of people, you learn to distinguish them by their characteristics, which might even be difficult to exactly describe to others.

I worked in NYC once with a woman from Kenya who had spent much of her life in the US. She could pick out other Africans on the street and tell you if they were West Somalians or from a particular tribe in Kenya. She just knew by looking at them.

She had a brother who was married to a woman from a Kenyan tribe that her tribe was not supposed to marry into for whatever reason. Her brother and her wife lived in Jersey City, where most people would probably not even realize they were from Kenya, let alone be able to make tribal distinctions.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:22 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I actually knew a woman who was Arab. She had brownish red hair, but her skin tone and features gave her away. I've noticed Arab women tend to also have very small eyes. I'm always able to tell Arabic women apart, because a lot of the Arabic people I know tend to marry outside of their ethnicity. With the men it's harder to tell. I've never seen a light skinned Arabic person, mostly in media (I've never personally ran into an Arabic person who was fair skinned), and thought "Oh, she/he's Irish or German" or some other white ethnicity. I'm not one to count anyone who's nonblack/asian as "white". Like this reminds me of a thread in the NJ forum, asking if Puerto Ricans were white? No. Why would you ask that? Then again, there's other nationalities, I don't consider white that Arabs would could pass for or vice versa. I really don't understand what a dark skinned white person is.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:42 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I don't consider white that Arabs would could pass for or vice versa. I really don't understand what a dark skinned white person is.

What about Jhonny Deep? He's had a role as a Native American in The Brave, and gypsy in Chocolat.

What about Italian-American Cake Boss?
Attached Thumbnails
Dark skinned whites after 9/11?-cakes.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.