Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:06 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,282 times

Advertisements

Does the US have a lot of old money? I would tend to think not. As lot of people who have money earned it themselves in the US. In the US, people who come from money tend to marry people who don't. Another reason is my mom's great uncle became a millionaire in the 60s. In the 70s, his son tried to marry some girl he was dating. Supposedly, she said no because her parents didn't want her marrying new money garbage. I can't imagine such a situation playing out now a days in America. Maybe in Europe. Then, when I got to thinking of the few people I know who are rich, usually associations of people I know, none of them came from a rich family. Does America have a lot of "old money"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 02:58 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I would say that families that fit that description are a VERY small percentage of the US population.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:02 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
Does the US have a lot of old money? I would tend to think not. As lot of people who have money earned it themselves in the US. In the US, people who come from money tend to marry people who don't. Another reason is my mom's great uncle became a millionaire in the 60s. In the 70s, his son tried to marry some girl he was dating. Supposedly, she said no because her parents didn't want her marrying new money garbage. I can't imagine such a situation playing out now a days in America. Maybe in Europe. Then, when I got to thinking of the few people I know who are rich, usually associations of people I know, none of them came from a rich family. Does America have a lot of "old money"?
I can't speak in comparison to other countries, but yes, the US does have people who would be considered "old money." The percentage of old vs new money will probably increase in the future as well, as social mobility in America has stagnated.
America's economic mobility myth - Dec. 9, 2013

Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
There is plenty of "old money" still around. It's just that you usually don't hear about these folks because by definition they've inherited their money and haven't earned it from the places in the news that people usually think of when they think of making gobs of money, like Wall Street, Hollywood, or Silicon Valley.

Old money has trusts and private bankers and "family offices" to manage it all. They live discreetly in co-ops on Fifth Avenue or townhouses on Beacon Hill or horse farms in Virginia. They hang out in private clubs you've never heard of and still have debutante balls for the kids. They only make the general news when there is a huge row about breaking up the family fortune, or one of their kids gets busted for dope, drunk driving, or some greater indiscretion. And even then it may not be common knowledge that Mumsy and Daddy are in the Social Register.

But often their forunes are eclipsed by newer money now, especailly sine the original fortunes may have to be divided by numerous descendants and each one, while still wealthy by most people's standards, aren't in the same class as today's richest hedge fund managers o technology magnates.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:38 PM

462 posts, read 720,133 times
I know of the Rockefellers, Vanderbilts, Duponts, Fords, Astors, and a few other families. Some wealthy families are even older. Most of the famous ones, however, tend to be from the Gilded Age industrialists (even though these were considered "new money" in their time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Money

Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
........ Does America have a lot of "old money"?
No place has a lot of old money. The United States probably has more old money than any other country, except perhaps countries that still have a nobility.

Old money people are discrete. They don't flash their money around like rock stars or football players do.

They are not sitting around doing nothing. Their fortunes are tended to and expanded, and their children are trained in how to behave, how to maintain the money, and how to perform public service.

The people I know with old money, have all married people with old money. People with money don't live in the ghetto, so if their son marries his childhood sweetheart, she isn't the daughter of a drug dealer. She is a girl who also went to a top school.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:59 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
This little discussion I started last year on the NYC forum may be of interest to you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...york-city.html

Old 02-06-2014, 04:40 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,282 times
Thanks for the link, but I'm also interested in the topic in the US as a whole.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:03 PM

208 posts, read 603,980 times
There are more than I would've thought. In the American South, there are still many families with money from oil, landownership, etc. Being from SoCal, I had never come across folks with old money - that is, until I met them. Ones I know have trusts and never have to work a day in their lives, though they busy themselves with charities, travel, etc. I was pretty surprised to find that debutante balls still exist!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Only the Rothschilds have old money. All money today descends from their bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.