Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 AM

86 posts, read 124,565 times

Advertisements

hi I tried posting this in general moving issues but received no responses. Maybe this area is more active. I want to move to a new city after college but everyone has told me that its very difficult. If anyone has experience with moving to a new city after college I have some questions.
1 where did you move?

2 what was your overall experience?

3 what advice would you give?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
1 - I moved from Philadelphia to Minneapolis

2 - Overall it was pretty good. I found a good roomate situation and was able to make some good friends. Oh, I also met my wife while living there. Employment was challenging. My University carried no local weight and provided no local connections and there was definitely resistance in interviews based solely on the fact that I moved there - this attitude was typically with the older manager in a group. The typical interview was a situation where I'd have a great interview with the younger HR reps and then a miserable experience with the old until manager. I did a variety of temp work, etc but didn't hesitate to move out of the city after about a year.

3 - Fully understand your employment options and do whatever you can to secure employment before you get there. I think the job will drive a lot of happiness or discontent with an area. Other than that, all the typical moving stuff applies. Understand why you want to move and find a good spot. Keep an open mind. Put yourself out there to meet people. Your problems will move with you, so don't expect some magical clean slate where everything is dandelions and roses.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Depends

Old 02-06-2014, 12:29 PM

28 posts, read 32,020 times
For me it was easy. But I was ready to retire from college life. Couldn't wait to go to the next phase of my life.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:22 PM

86 posts, read 124,565 times
Thanks for the responses so far. To be more specific about myself, I live in Minneapolis and I want to move to Chicago after graduation. I
have seen alot of good entry level jobs online. I have visited the city before so I have some idea of the culture and flow of the city. If anyone knows about the city I would appreciate it.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
hi I tried posting this in general moving issues but received no responses. Maybe this area is more active. I want to move to a new city after college but everyone has told me that its very difficult. If anyone has experience with moving to a new city after college I have some questions.
1 where did you move?

2 what was your overall experience?

3 what advice would you give?
1. New York city

2. Very memorable experience (I lived there for 2 years), made friends, had lots of fun, started my career, but after the two years, I was drained from big city living and ready to move back home to CT.

3. Don't be afraid, and be yourself. Don't try too hard to fit the perception that outsiders have on the city. For example, before I moved to NYC, I always thought that New Yorkers were rude, jaded and harsh. But while I was living there, it turns out that most New Yorkers were friendly, albeit fast paced and busy. There is no persona that you have to be. Just be yourself, with minor adjustments maybe. But people and life are the same everywhere. Just a different environment, pace and mentality. People live, eat, work, sleep, play and love, no matter where you go.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. To be more specific about myself, I live in Minneapolis and I want to move to Chicago after graduation. I
have seen alot of good entry level jobs online. I have visited the city before so I have some idea of the culture and flow of the city. If anyone knows about the city I would appreciate it.
This is a very common move ..... Chicago is a larger city and one of the more common complaints is just dealing with traffic and the size of the place .... but it shouldn't be too much of a culture shock

Old 02-06-2014, 11:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Personally I think finding a good to great job is harder than moving to a particular city. I think a lot of college students are either a) able to save up quite a bit of money or b) their parents give them graduation money to move.

I originally moved to Chicago

Experience was good, I was very ready to move from a college town to a big city. I found a good paying job within a month at a company in the Loop. I knew nobody in the city at the time as far as work connections go.

Advice... I'd find a job first these days, my experience was almost 10 years ago when jobs were more plentiful and rent was cheaper, I paid 300 bucks and lived with 2 other roommates in a 3 bedroom apartment, but that was the cheaper rent prices in 05, not 2014... Since you are in Minneapolis, you are close enough to drive over for an in person interview if need be.

Last edited by grapico; 02-07-2014 at 12:09 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,522,370 times
No it's fun! I would suggest dating like crazy once you're settled in your new city. It's a great way to meet new people, as you'll meet your date's friends too.

I moved from Minneapolis to Chicago after college. I learned so much about myself during that year of my life. I'd highly recommend it.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,119,653 times
I moved from LA to Seattle after college, and the main adjustment besides weather was being away from family.

You automatically break out of the shell, and have that rejuvenating feeling of being in a new place where nobody likely knows you, the pros and cons of such & such.

In my case I moved from a bigger to smaller city. Your moving pattern is very common (Chicago attracts those from over- esp the Midwestern smaller cities), it has all the bright lights for your region- go for it! At least try it, and you can always move back but at least you learn from whatever moves you make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.