Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 PM

40 posts, read 101,668 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm probably in the same boat as a few here, and I'm looking for a city where I can actually find a decent job.

I am graduating May 1, and I will officially be underemployed (not a pleasant prospect). I have a high GPA (3.4), leadership experience (President of a large club at my college), as well as lots of official recognition from my current employment. I was also an intern for a successful congressional campaign.

I have 2 problems that I see: 1st, I live in Buffalo, and jobs here for new grads are pretty much collections, or sales by telephone. Not my goal. 2nd, I am a bank teller for a big bank, and they prefer outside hires over promotion from within (weird to me too) My manager said she'd promote me to an officer, but they literally will not let do that unless I officially resign first

Anyhow, is YOUR city, or a city you know good for grads? I am a business major. I come across well in interviews, the problem is getting one. I am primary looking at the Southeast, but if your city has plentiful jobs, let me know (as long as it's not further north than Buffalo )… No city is too small, as a matter of fact, I like smaller more Conservative towns, but big cities have their perks too… I'm not looking for my future employer to move me either…

If your city sounds like the place for me, let me know! If you have any tips please feel free to DM me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 06:03 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
There are a lot of jobs in North Dakota, and a dearth of college grads. The banking industry is big in the Fargo area, specifically. ND is also fairly conservative, though not nearly as conservative as the South. By your post, it sounds like you'd prefer somewhere warmer.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
There are a lot of jobs in North Dakota, and a dearth of college grads. The banking industry is big in the Fargo area, specifically. ND is also fairly conservative, though not nearly as conservative as the South. By your post, it sounds like you'd prefer somewhere warmer.
You assume right. I have a friend in Minot, and from what she's told me, I'd rather stay away. Cold weather isn't for me, even though I live in it.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:34 PM

137 posts, read 367,297 times
Maybe look at North Carolina, specifically the Raleigh area.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 PM

I've looked into Raleigh… Problem is that I've heard from many sources that alot of people are trying to migrate there, so if you apply for an entry level position, even if you are amazingly qualified, they assume you are looking for an in, and will quit for chance you get.

But I will keep looking in NC. Thanks alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.