Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:34 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times

Advertisements

As opposed to highly overrated.

For me, it has to be Michigan. I get so tired of reading all of the "rust belt" comments and the way that people, many who have never even been to Michigan, assume that the entire state is Detroit. Detroit makes up less than 0.01% of our land area, yet people seem to think that the entire state is filled with Detroit!

Michigan is a beautiful state with a rebounding economy and friendly, laid back people. The weather is never boring, because it can change on a dime. The COL is not that high, and aside from the very occasional, random tornado in the spring, we have no natural disasters. We also have more beaches and waterfront property than any other state except maybe Florida. Michigan is filled with inland lakes and forests and is a sportman's paradise. There are a lot worse places to call home than Michigan!

So, any others?

Last edited by canudigit; 02-19-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Phoenix imo is underrated. They have great weather 8 months of the year and then 4 months when you need to be in a pool. The mountains and rocks and vegetation is beautiful (though not as beautiful as my state of Washington but the weather makes up for it). Housing is really inexpensive, they have great roads and traffic flows smoothly. I also found some excellent restaurants.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
I agree with canudigit. The Midwest is really not as boring or bad as people say. I visited several times and liked it. Not that I would live in a major city like Chicago, but the region in general is pretty nice. I especially found Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio and Michigan to be beautiful.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Phoenix imo is underrated. They have great weather 8 months of the year and then 4 months when you need to be in a pool. The mountains and rocks and vegetation is beautiful (though not as beautiful as my state of Washington but the weather makes up for it). Housing is really inexpensive, they have great roads and traffic flows smoothly. I also found some excellent restaurants.
This could also probably apply to many desert Southwest metros. I've been to Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas and found all of them to be very interesting places unique from the rest of the U.S. Plus the architecture of buildings, especially the more expensive homes, is pretty interesting too. The freeway art designs on the bridges and exit ramp walls makes them easier on the eyes than the concrete slabs that you usually see in most U.S. metros. Driving between El Paso, Phoenix, Flagstaff/Grand Canyon, and Vegas was probably the best scenery I've seen on a roadtrip, better than anything I've seen in the east. I had no idea it snowed in Flagstaff, which was 2 hours away from 65-degree Phoenix in the winter.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think the surrounding scenery close to Phoenix(and Tuscon) gets ignored a lot when the city is rated against others in favor of just mentioning the more suburban nature of the city. It's sort of unfair because whenever the Pacific NW cities or Denver or SLC come up the scenery and daytrip possibilities are viewed as an attribute, but Arizona's landscape and outdoor opportunities sort of get passed over.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,244 times
Pittsburgh doesn't get enough love 'round these parts.

Same goes for Louisville, KY.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Virginia Beach/Norfolk and Salt Lake City

Old 02-20-2014, 12:35 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
The Southwest.

I think it fits a lot of things about what people want but immediately count it out because of... Well, I don't really know. Probably the heat.

I can think of a million of my own stories that can prove the heat really isn't that bad. If I can make it through what I used to deal with on nearly a weekly basis, anyone can do it. Really. I'm not very hot tolerant either; I fare much better with cold weather.

But yes. Great scenery, great outdoor options nearby, good freeways/roads, etc. I will have to disagree on restaurants, unless you went to the hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurants, those are the secret treasures of the Sonoran desert

Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I think the surrounding scenery close to Phoenix(and Tuscon) gets ignored a lot when the city is rated against others in favor of just mentioning the more suburban nature of the city. It's sort of unfair because whenever the Pacific NW cities or Denver or SLC come up the scenery and daytrip possibilities are viewed as an attribute, but Arizona's landscape and outdoor opportunities sort of get passed over.
I'm not saying there isn't beautiful scenery in Arizona (I love the Joshua trees in in Western Arizona, the mountains around Tucson, the Mogollon Rim, and the Painted Dessert), but the drive between Tucson and Phoenix, along Interstate 10, is IMO among the ugliest places in the entire country.

London, Ontario is the most underrated city I've never visited. If you're ever around that corner of the world, it's worth an overnight stay. And, no, I'm not a Belieber.

I feel that people don't talk much about the interior Northwest on this forum. Spokane, Pullman-Moscow, Boise, Missoula, and Coeur d'Alene often get ignored while Seattle and Portland rake in all the love.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 02-20-2014 at 12:54 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 12:59 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I'm not saying there isn't beautiful scenery in Arizona (I love the Joshua trees in in Western Arizona, the mountains around Tucson, the Mogollon Rim, and the Painted Dessert), but the drive between Tucson and Phoenix, along Interstate 10, is IMO among the ugliest places in the entire country.

London, Ontario is the most underrated city I've never visited. If you're ever around that corner of the world, it's worth an overnight stay. And, no, I'm not a Belieber.

I feel that people don't talk much about the interior Northwest. Spokane, Pullman-Moscow, Boise, Missoula, and Coeur d'Alene get ignored while Seattle and Portland get all the love.
That one part of Arizona... Haha It is pretty ugly though!

Now did you know Picacho Peak was a Civil War battle site? You drive right next to it on the I-10. Granted, it's probably the most interesting about that area of the state. Also, Picacho Peak is pretty aesthetically pleasing for a smaller mountain... very odd-looking. At least you get to see a tiny slice of American history on the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.