Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 PM

54 posts, read 75,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In a lot of ways, you get what you give; what goes around comes around. While I do believe that some places are friendlier than others, there's also a lot of truth to the notion that you, yourself, can have a big influence on your environment.
Good story, and I can see the truth in it. Reputation given!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePDX View Post
Oh, I know, Minervah. I actually grew up here! This may sound insane to people from larger places, but I think that Portland has outgrown me in the past decade. I have to go downtown every day, and I've grown to seriously dread my interactions there. Maybe it's time to think somewhere a little smaller. And, to be honest, most of the people I've encountered on the Portland board are really pretty nice! I expect a bit of adversarial behavior on a forum. Irl, maybe not so much
I understand. I didn't know your background. I moved from Chicago to Portland 35 years ago and am ready to move again. I think Portland has changed so that it is no longer the place for me. I am not knocking the city but I know what you mean. Sometimes things change and for one reason or another someone can feel it is no longer a good fit for them. It happens. I wish you luck in finding a new place if that is what you decide is the right thing for you.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 AM

54 posts, read 75,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I understand. I didn't know your background. I moved from Chicago to Portland 35 years ago and am ready to move again. I think Portland has changed so that it is no longer the place for me. I am not knocking the city but I know what you mean. Sometimes things change and for one reason or another someone can feel it is no longer a good fit for them. It happens. I wish you luck in finding a new place if that is what you decide is the right thing for you.
It really HAS changed, hasn't it? If you decide to move on, in what kind of place would you like to live?

I don't think we're quite ready to move yet. We would really have to uproot ourselves, and I'm not sure that this is the best time economically for us to try to find a niche somewhere where we have absolutely no social support net. But a girl can dream, right? I am definitely dreaming right now.
|
I'm surprised more people aren't plugging their hometowns in this thread, especially since my only two criteria were friendliness (ill-defined, I know, but still) and population size. On the other hand, maybe it's true that people who are really happy where they are aren't the ones who visit city-data. I know I started lurking here a good while back because I've been yearning for something else. *Sigh.*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.