Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:58 PM

669 posts, read 3,194,485 times

Advertisements

This is kinda just for fun, and I know every state has problems. In your opinion though, which one is the best? I'm talking about: weather, not growing too fast, good economy, good housing, fair taxes, etc. Nothing is perfect but which state(s) achieve the balance well enough?

My nomination would have to be PA. No -- it's not perfect, or anywhere close, and I haven't ever lived anywhere else. Taxes can be high, but seem fair. Housing is pretty moderate. The weather is 4 seasons. Not overcrowding at any fast rate. Not a huge risk of natural disasters though quakes, hurricanes and tornadoes have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
I'd have to say Texas has the best balance.

PRO's:
Affordable housing
4 Large cities
Booming economy
Great job growth
Crime isn't horrendous
Good weather
It's TEXAS!
I can wear a cowboy hat and not look loony.

CON's:
High taxes
It gets a bit cold in winter

Old 02-09-2007, 03:49 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'd have to say Texas has the best balance.

PRO's:
Affordable housing
4 Large cities
Booming economy
Great job growth
Crime isn't horrendous
Good weather
It's TEXAS!
I can wear a cowboy hat and not look loony.

CON's:
High taxes
It gets a bit cold in winter
Actually Dallas is at the top of the list in crime, with Houston not too far behind. The weather sucks! Extreme heat in North Texas and humid hot in the south part. The west is barren desert.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:18 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
Quote:
Actually Dallas is at the top of the list in crime, with Houston not too far behind. The weather sucks! Extreme heat in North Texas and humid hot in the south part. The west is barren desert.
Actually it isn't. It isn't even in the top 10 according to Sperling. Tuscon is the worst city for crime then Memphis and Miami. Houston is pretty far down on the list, it's a fairly safe city. The weather isn't horrible (if you want extreme heat try Phoenix in the summer). Houston is the only city with a substantial amount of humidity.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:38 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
No if's and's or but's...Alaska...

Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Virginia gets my vote, if Fairfax Co, Loudoun Co, Alexandria, and Arlington can be cut off. The rest of the state has most of the things mentioned in the op.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I'll second the vote for PA, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in particular. We're within a two hour drive of the wonderful amenities that NYC and Philly have to offer, yet we're a fraction of the price! It's nice to live in a community where you can leave a wallet and cell phone on your front passenger seat, accidentally forget to lock your car doors on a weary night after work, and then arise to find your wallet and cell phone still intact and undisturbed (has happened to me on several occasions, being the clumsy Italian stallion I am).

Our weather isn't perfect, but I love the volatility and variety we receive---including triple-digit heat waves, paralyzing blizzards, tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, and everything in between! Our economy is improving, and Wall Street West, the upcoming medical school, and the proposed commuter rail link to Manhattan should all combine in the next 10 years to make Scranton an "up-and-comer" in the employment sector. Only in Scranton could you hit the ski slopes, go undergound on a coal mine tour, gaze at a waterfall, dabble in yoga, see an off-Broadway production, and go hiking all within the city limits. Our city is by no means a utopia, but month by month, Scranton is truly bouncing back to becoming a wonderful place to live again after many years of neglect. I have yet to speak to one former resident who hasn't been pleased by the positive changes that have occurred here in the past decade, and while our cost-of-living is rising, we're still a bargain compared to nearby NYC/NJ/CT.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 PM

669 posts, read 3,194,485 times
I really hope Scranton doesn't skyrocket in prices, cause it's a nice place as far as I've seen.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:05 AM

184 posts, read 902,203 times
Currently living in Utah and loving it... but the wages are lower than what they should be because of the 'reluctant to move anywhere else' mormon population is easily exploited by national companies. The weather is great if you appreciate dry heat and snowy cold... the scenery is the best in the U.S. and there is a ton of things to do. I only miss NHL.

I loved California when I grew up there for totally different reasons (the cars, weather, palm trees, diversity, the Dodgers, the Ducks and of course freakin' Disney Land)

Old 02-10-2007, 04:24 AM

127 posts, read 925,107 times
There could be a few here, but in my opinion Oregon is the best balanced state. It has a really nice big city, with a solid economy. Plenty of smaller cities which are very attractive, with their own special charms. And the weather there is fairly mild, although a bit rainy and gloomy in the winter time, but it will never be blistering cold there. The housing prices are fairly reasonable for such beautiful areas, and Eugene attempts to work the houses in to the environment in various ways. The only problem up there is people relocating from out of state, making the population growth fairly high...
BTW, you could really make an arguement for almost any state really with this...it just depends on your point of view and what is most important to you personally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.