Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 995 times

Advertisements

Hello friends!

My name is Dan and in October 2014, I'm moving to US. The company where I'll work asked me to choose a city to live. How I'll work in home office system, I can choose anywhere.

I'm married and have two boys, with 6 years old . So, I need to choose a city with great schools and safe. And the cost of life shouldn't be expensive.

Where do you recommend? The office stays in Chicago and I really liked the city. But I need your help to know more about New York City, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, etc.

Thanks a lot!

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:40 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
You might be able to choose anywhere, but will your income allow you to live in the area you choose?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
What else are you looking for? Mountains? Water? Suburbs vs Downtown? What type of climate do you wanna stay in? Is money a real issue? If it is I don't know if New York or LA will be good options. Chicago will work if you live outside downtown.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:28 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Teixeira View Post
Hello friends!

My name is Dan and in October 2014, I'm moving to US. The company where I'll work asked me to choose a city to live. How I'll work in home office system, I can choose anywhere.

I'm married and have two boys, with 6 years old . So, I need to choose a city with great schools and safe. And the cost of life shouldn't be expensive.

Where do you recommend? The office stays in Chicago and I really liked the city. But I need your help to know more about New York City, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, etc.

Thanks a lot!

Dan
Hey alright, São Paulo!

One thing you'll have to think about is how well you'll do with cold weather. Chicago and New York City are both quite cold for about 4-5 months...something you won't have experienced in SP. Even if you have enjoyed cold weather when you've visited a city like Chicago or New York, it's important to remember that you will be living in these conditions for many months!

Do you prefer to live in a city which has a large Brasilian population? If so, then you will probably want to focus on Miami and New York. However Miami is very dangerous (the most dangerous of the cities on your list) and it also has probably the worst education of any of those cities too. New York, however, is very safe and has very good educational opportunities...but it is also the most expensive city.

The problem with looking for a safe city with great schools and a low cost of living is that you can rarely find all three at a high level. New York is safe and has great education but is very expensive. Los Angeles too. Miami is expensive, but not very expensive...but it's not safe and doesn't have great educational opportunities. Chicago is cheap and has good schools, but has safety issues in the city.

Dallas, however, is pretty even in all of those categories. It has very, very low cost of living, decent schools and decent safety. However it's also the most uninteresting city on this list. It's a very fast-growing city, but mainly because it offers low cost of living and is very business-friendly, so companies are trying to move more employees to that area. Dallas doesn't have the same "cool" stuff that you can find in LA, Chicago, Miami or New York.

My personal list would go:

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Miami
5. Dallas

Parabéns pelo novo emprego e boa sorte!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:52 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Teixeira View Post
Hello friends!

Thanks a lot!

Dan
As a Brazilian native I think you're going to find Chicago and NYC winters (about 5 months long) too much and other cities such as LA or Miami can be rather expensive. Texas cities can be extremely hot (100+ degree temperatures) for long periods and not especially attractive either from that perspective. If you're looking for a family-friendly city with good schools, relative safety, a reasonable cost of living and weather that is not extreme for long periods of time I would recommend Atlanta which has excellent airline service as well for your business-related travel. Check out the northern suburbs of Alpharetta and Johns Creek which are beautiful areas with the best schools in the metro area and since you're not dealing with a work commute, traffic to/from Atlanta won't be a concern. Atlanta has a milder climate than most US cities though some will say it can be hot in the Summer (which is no different than most US cities in actuality) and lasts about a month at it's worst (certainly far less than Texas or Florida for example).

Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
You should take a look at San Francisco and Seattle. Both great cities with very cool summers. If you can handle rain and grey then you do fine in Seattle. San Francisco has great weather in fall and winter but is kind of cold in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.