Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 04:49 PM

38 posts, read 102,450 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'll me making a road trip for a personal vacation from Boston to New Orleans at the end of May. We have about 6 or 7 days open for this trip...

Does anyone have any ideas for stopping places? The only place we have "penciled in" is the Bourbon Trail in KY. We will be in NOLA for a couple days but are interested in any ideas for cool places to visit or stop along the way. We are interested in: partying, hiking, mountain climbing, nature, shooting guns, music (except country). We would like to stay away from the "family-oriented" stopping points as we are both 25 year old males.

Here is a map of the *rough* route we plan on taking:

We would prefer not to visit anywhere in the state of NJ or north, although Philly might be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,114,480 times
Stop in Morgantown WV. It is a fast paced college town with a reputation for party/nightlife. Charleston, wv is more family oriented, but also a cool stop.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
If you're going to do the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky, then you might as well do the Whiskey Trail in Tennessee:

TN Whiskey TrailTN Whiskey Trail | Let The Fun Begin

Nearby is Fall Creek Falls State Park which has four waterfalls (including the country's highest east of the Rockies) and 32 miles of hiking trails.

Fall Creek Falls State Park — Tennessee State Parks

If you could hold off your trip for a couple of weeks you'll get to that part of Tennessee in time for Bonnaroo which has over 200 bands playing over four days with Elton John headlining this year.

Home Page | Bonnaroo

Since you're going to be near Nashville, too, you might as well check out its music scene. Trust me, it's not all country. For better or worse, Nashville's music scene has produced the likes of Kings of Leon, Black Keys, Paramore, Ke$ha, and Jack White. Here are some threads discussing Nashville's non-country music scene:

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...y-you-say.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...try-music.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...g-country.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-07-2014, 08:18 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
If you're bypassing NYC on your road trip you could take I-84 west to I-81 south (briefly) to I-80 west to I-99 south past State College, PA. Has both partying and hiking. Purple Lizard Maps

I-99 continues south as a fast two lane US 220 briefly before you pick up I-68 just east of Cumberland, MD to head west to Morgantown, WV.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:52 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Stop in Philly and head through Virginia and North Carolina on the Blue Ridge Parkway stopping in Asheville-not the fastest route but well worth it IMO. Stop in Atlanta too before New Orleans.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:18 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
If it were me I'd pick the more coastal route. There is more history and more of the oldest cities in our country. Savannah and Charleston are very unique. I'd also custom create a route that lets you enjoy part of the Appalachians somewhere.

When you hit the Gulf Coast between Pascagoula and New Orleans I'd use US90 for a slower alternate route. Some parts are boring, some parts hurricane rattles, and some parts beautiful and you won't see from an interstate. The gulf coast is very unique.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
You could drive some or all of the Natchez Trace Parkway/
http://goo.gl/maps/Z2c7d

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/

Last edited by jambo101; 05-09-2014 at 04:22 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I'd go the most eastern route and spend two days in the Historic Triangle in Virginia (Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown), then head over to Asheville, NC and spend a day at Biltmore Estates, then spend one night in Atlanta - get there early and in time for a fabulous dinner somewhere and spend the night in a swanky hotel and do the whole downtown Hotlanta thing - and then drive on to New Orleans but give yourself two days to do it so you can stop and tour a couple of plantations along the way.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Are 6 or 7 days enough time for this trip?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:14 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Put me in the "stop in Morgantown" camp. It's a really cool town. I usually do a good deal of research before I visit a town, but Morgantown still surprised me. Don't skip it. Charlestown WV is also a great town, but still a little sleepy.

If you can swing it, Asheville is a great stop too. Knoxville or Nashville are worth a stop too depending on which route you take. I hate country music but Nashville is still worth a visit. It's one of the friendliest cities I've ever been to. I prefer Knoxville between the two though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.