Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 PM

398 posts, read 746,684 times

Advertisements

Okay, is it JUST me or people in LA doesn't seem to be geographically aware as East Coast? And by East Coast, that means Boston, NYC, DC, Philly.
Everytime I have visited LA, people ask where I'm from and I tell them Boston and they just have a blank stare. Either that, or they're uninterested It really seems as though people in LA doesn't know anything over the East side except for NYC-- they can't even spark a convo going further after I tell them I'm from Boston. But versus here, if you tell a Bostonian you're from elsewhere, most times people would be able to carry on the convo and discuss further about the cities.

Don't get me wrong- I love LA, lived there for a short term myself but a lot of people just kind of shrug me off after I tell them I'm from Boston. Perhaps it's not too exciting for them. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 08:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
That's because, in general, people on the west coast are air heads. They can't keep up with the pace of a solid A-B conversation. They're too slow and don't really make many facial expressions or reactions. They're on a different wavelength. They often go off on tangents and can't contribute much to a conversation as much as an east coast person can. I think it's because of the climate and way of life there (marijuana).

Besides, who cares. Boston is a much more characterful, charming and educated city than LA. LA is filthy, generic and the white population is only 30%. In Boston it's 75%. Also, Boston has MUCH smarter people than LA. I cannot stress that enough. There is also a full scale mass transit system, which LA doesn't even have. And Massachusetts is a more scenic state than California, with it's widespread deciduous greenery, Cape Cod, Boston and the most progressive politics in the nation (or maybe that's VT).

Old 03-30-2014, 08:16 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Everytime I have visited LA, people ask where I'm from and I tell them Boston and they just have a blank stare. Either that, or they're uninterested
Quote:
Don't get me wrong- I love LA, lived there for a short term myself but a lot of people just kind of shrug me off after I tell them I'm from Boston. Perhaps it's not too exciting for them. Lol.
They hate the Boston Celtics so that's probably one of the reasons.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
The Northeast is the most-educated region of the country.. so not surprising people in other areas wouldn't be too smart lol.

I'm from NYC Metro and I personally LOVE Boston and HATE LA.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
LA white population is only 30%. In Boston it's 75%
Not according to the US Census:

Los Angeles, White population:49.8%

Los Angeles (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Boston, White population: 53.9%

Boston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 03-30-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 09:25 PM

867 posts, read 1,398,291 times
Maybe people just don't care about Boston like people up north think they do. Plus, if you think those four cities make up the -East Coast- then maybe you come of pompous to WS Coasters. I'm from the East Coast (Norfolk, VA.) and I've NEVER had a desire to go way up to Boston. What do you think is suppose to happen...you think they are supposed to be in awe and kiss up to you because you're from a place called "Beantown"? Its not NYC and even if it was...

Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's because, in general, people on the west coast are air heads. They can't keep up with the pace of a solid A-B conversation. They're too slow and don't really make many facial expressions or reactions. They're on a different wavelength. They often go off on tangents and can't contribute much to a conversation as much as an east coast person can. I think it's because of the climate and way of life there (marijuana).

Besides, who cares. Boston is a much more characterful, charming and educated city than LA. LA is filthy, generic and the white population is only 30%. In Boston it's 75%. Also, Boston has MUCH smarter people than LA. I cannot stress that enough. There is also a full scale mass transit system, which LA doesn't even have. And Massachusetts is a more scenic state than California, with it's widespread deciduous greenery, Cape Cod, Boston and the most progressive politics in the nation (or maybe that's VT).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The Northeast is the most-educated region of the country.. so not surprising people in other areas wouldn't be too smart lol.

I'm from NYC Metro and I personally LOVE Boston and HATE LA.
What is with all the hate? not happy because we don't bow down to you when we find out you are from the almighty Boston?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What is with all the hate? not happy because we don't bow down to you when we find out you are from the almighty Boston?
Aren't you from Texas or Minnesota? I never knew you were from LA.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:06 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Not according to the US Census:

Los Angeles, White population:49.8%

Los Angeles (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Boston, White population: 53.9%

Boston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
According to your link, Los Angeles Non-Hispanic White population is 28.7%, while Boston's Non-Hispanic White population is 47.0%. Nice attempt at trying to mislead people. Anyone who has been to both cities will know that White people have a much bigger presence in Boston than in Los Angeles.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
According to your link, Los Angeles Non-Hispanic White population is 28.7%, while Boston's Non-Hispanic White population is 47.0%. Nice attempt at trying to mislead people. Anyone who has been to both cities will know that White people have a much bigger presence in Boston than in Los Angeles.
WHAT are you talking about? I compared White population to your apparently imaginary White percentages. Now you change the game? The truth hurts, eh? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.