Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

More strange lists from Forbes

Quote:
Over the next seven weeks, we'll reveal the areas of the country that most often commit what are commonly known as the seven deadly sins: gluttony, greed, lust, sloth, envy, wrath and pride.

The result? Based on our findings, the residents of the most corrupt cities will be crowned Most Sinful.
Stay tuned.

Most Obese Cities
Based on averpercentage of overweight adults
1 Memphis
2 Birmingham
3 San Antonio
4 Riverside-San Bernardino, CA
5 Detroit
6 Jacksonville
7 Nashville
8 Oklahoma City
9 Kansas City
10 San Diego

Most Sedentary Cities
Based on Body Mass Index, Physical Inactivity & TV watching habits
1 Memphis
2 New Orleans
3 Las Vegas
4 Detroit
5 Birmingham
6 Louisville
7 San Antonio
8 Jacksonville
9 Nashville
10 Miami

Most Murderous Cities
Based on Murders per 100,000 residents
1 Detroit
2 Baltimore
3 New Orleans
4 Newark
5 St Louis
6 Oakland
7 Washington DC
8 Cincinnati
9 Philadelphia
10 Buffalo

Most Vain Cities
Based on plastic surgeons per capita and dollar amount spent on personal care
1 Salt Lake City
2 San Francisco
3 San Diego
3 San Jose
3 Miami
4 Louisville
5 Nashville
8 Virginia Beach
8 New York
8 Los Angeles

Greediest Cities
Based on Forbes 400 Richest Per Capita
1 San Jose
2 San Francisco
3 Seattle
4 Denver
5 Boston
6 New York
7 Dallas
8 Los Angeles
9 Washington DC
10 Miami

America's Most Sedentary Cities - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 01:36 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,502,395 times
Buffalo, NY is extremely depressing and murderous. Last year it wasn't even in the top 30 on the 'Most Dangerous Cities' list. I loved the north side around Elmwood Ave, Delaware Ave, and Delaware Park with all the old tudor mansions, but once you get to the Broadway Market and the east side you see the has-been city that is Buffalo. Extremely, extremely depressing to see such beautiful buildings rotting into a heap of trash. Even the downtown, which has endless potential with the beautiful lakefront, is dreary and dead. Buffalo was named the 2nd poorest city in America this year, behind Detroit.

And since I just blasted Buffalo with negatives, I'll give the positives. The people are some of the nicest people you will EVER meet. And when you think sports, you have to think of Buffalo. Although they only have the Bills and the Sabres, you can't go to a game and say they're not great sports fans. Buffalo was named Hockey Town, USA last year and the Bills fans are on the verge of taking over the 'Most Loyal Football City' crown. Hard times, but the fans stick by their team. The festivals are amazing - Italian Fest, Taste of Buffalo, Chicken Wing (Buffalo Wing) Fest, Art Fest, etc. If you go to Buffalo, having a plate of chicken wings is a must (and use HOT sauce, not mild, don't be a baby or Buffalonians will laugh at you).

Buffalo is a great town with loads of potential, it just needs to get a grip on the rising crime, jobs, and taxes. Buffalo is definitely for the rough bunch of people and it's also for the people who can see the character in old, industrial cities that provide you with viewings of some of the best architecture in America, if not the best.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 PM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
More strange lists from Forbes

Most Obese Cities
Based on averpercentage of overweight adults
1 Memphis
2 Birmingham
3 San Antonio
4 Riverside-San Bernardino, CA
5 Detroit
6 Jacksonville
7 Nashville
8 Oklahoma City
9 Kansas City
10 San Diego

Most Sedentary Cities
Based on Body Mass Index, Physical Inactivity & TV watching habits
1 Memphis
2 New Orleans
3 Las Vegas
4 Detroit
5 Birmingham
6 Louisville
7 San Antonio
8 Jacksonville
9 Nashville
10 Miami

Most Murderous Cities
Based on Murders per 100,000 residents
1 Detroit
2 Baltimore
3 New Orleans
4 Newark
5 St Louis
6 Oakland
7 Washington DC
8 Cincinnati
9 Philadelphia
10 Buffalo

Most Vain Cities
Based on plastic surgeons per capita and dollar amount spent on personal care
1 Salt Lake City
2 San Francisco
3 San Diego
3 San Jose
3 Miami
4 Louisville
5 Nashville
8 Virginia Beach
8 New York
8 Los Angeles

Greediest Cities
Based on Forbes 400 Richest Per Capita
1 San Jose
2 San Francisco
3 Seattle
4 Denver
5 Boston
6 New York
7 Dallas
8 Los Angeles
9 Washington DC
10 Miami

America's Most Sedentary Cities - Forbes.com

I'm surprised that New Orleans or Las Vegas didn't make the top 10 list for most sinful cities.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:39 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,934 times
Lol, Memphis. That would suck to be on top of those 2 categories.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:55 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
I wish they would have included a list in the lust category, like the cities with the highest rates of adultery per capita. Or it could be even the cities with the most attractive women. Maybe the vain cities are under lust, but I think it's more under the envy category.

Last edited by SEAandATL; 12-07-2007 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: wrong wording

Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
lol, of course Vegas is going to be the most sedentary.

all those slots & table games don't encourage a lot of movement.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 PM

520 posts, read 1,854,038 times
I was surprised to see Salt Lake City as the most vain city. I didn't think Mormons were all that into plastic surgery. I guess there is a reason there are so many hot Mormon girls.

I would have guessed LA or Miami was number one. Crazy.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times
Obesity and sedentariness are not actually sins, so when I saw the title I was expecting to see a list of the most murderous cities or cities where gambling is wide spread.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Obesity and sedentariness are not actually sins, so when I saw the title I was expecting to see a list of the most murderous cities or cities where gambling is wide spread.
Actually gluttony (obesity) and sloth (sedentariness) are among the seven deadly sins. I should know because my friends and I just convened during Thanksgiving break to watch the movie "Se7en" together.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Actually gluttony (obesity) and sloth (sedentariness) are among the seven deadly sins. I should know because my friends and I just convened during Thanksgiving break to watch the movie "Se7en" together.
Those "seven deadly sins" were created by the Christian churches, but they have no reference in the Bible. Laziness and gluttony (specifically greed) are mentioned a few times, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.