Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:36 PM

10 posts, read 6,403 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have been wanting to move for some time. We seemed to have narrowed it down to a couple of places for various reasons of our own but I would really like an outside perspective on each place and why it's preferred over another. The three states are as follows. Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina. Out of those four places which would you move to? Some factors to think about are vibrancy, cultural diversity, easy going/outgoing, scenery, colleges, medical facilities, cost of living etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 12:28 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,182,413 times
You said three states then listed four? Anyway, it's tough for me to compare states. I'd rather do cities lol. So imo:

Vibrancy - Philly
Cultural Diversity - Philly, Miami, Orlando
Easygoing (to me is different from outgoing) - Jax, Tampa
Outgoing - Columbus, Raleigh-Durham, Philadelphia
Scenery - Pittsburgh, Tampa, Miami
Colleges - Raleigh-Durham, Philly, Pittsburgh, Columbus (depending what you're looking for)
Medical Facilities - Cleveland, Raleigh-Durham, Orlando, Jax, Philly (I don't know...this one is easy to argue for most cities)
COL - Jax, Orlando, Tampa

Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,321,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miryo View Post
My boyfriend and I have been wanting to move for some time. We seemed to have narrowed it down to a couple of places for various reasons of our own but I would really like an outside perspective on each place and why it's preferred over another. The three states are as follows. Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina. Out of those four places which would you move to? Some factors to think about are vibrancy, cultural diversity, easy going/outgoing, scenery, colleges, medical facilities, cost of living etc.
The biggest factor to think about would be where you could find employment in your field, wouldn't it? Unless you're retired, those other things aren't going to matter if you don't have a job.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,506,643 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh or Wilmington.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Thanks projectmaximus for the input it's very much appreciated. An yes I meant to write four but accidentally wrote three instead since at first I was only thinking of three. I'm not sure how to edit it or I would have by now. Thanks for catching that. ; )

Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The biggest factor to think about would be where you could find employment in your field, wouldn't it? Unless you're retired, those other things aren't going to matter if you don't have a job.
Very true canudigit, as of right now I work as a vet assistant. However I want to go to school to become a certified vet tech. My boyfriend works with computers but he also wants to go to school to work in the medical field.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,982,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You said three states then listed four? Anyway, it's tough for me to compare states. I'd rather do cities lol. So imo:

Vibrancy - Philly
Cultural Diversity - Philly, Miami, Orlando
Easygoing (to me is different from outgoing) - Jax, Tampa
Outgoing - Columbus, Raleigh-Durham, Philadelphia
Scenery - Pittsburgh, Tampa, Miami
Colleges - Raleigh-Durham, Philly, Pittsburgh, Columbus (depending what you're looking for)
Medical Facilities - Cleveland, Raleigh-Durham, Orlando, Jax, Philly (I don't know...this one is easy to argue for most cities)
COL - Jax, Orlando, Tampa
agree is tough to do on states - am really curious how on Med Facilities Philly was last. After Boston am not sure there is a city that can really make a significant case to be better on the whole than Philly on Med Facilities

Also for colleges again not sure where RDU would be above Philly but is also a strong college town

Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Pittsburgh or Wilmington.
Thank you Xander_Crews. I will consider looking into those cities. By Wilmington I'm assuming you mean Wilmington NC right?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,506,643 times
Quote:
Thank you Xander_Crews. I will consider looking into those cities. By Wilmington I'm assuming you mean Wilmington NC right?
Yup, I am in love with the "Cape Fear" region of NC, stunningly beautiful, same with the areas around Pitt. If I were to move to an oceanfront city, it would be Wilmington hands down, the architecture there is crazy awesome as well.

Pittsburgh is the next hipster haven, they will take the title from Portland soon because the city is simply cool. (Despite the fact that I hate the Steelers, I am a lifelong Broncos fan, ha ha.)

Old 07-07-2014, 02:59 PM

390 posts, read 942,435 times
Seattle and Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.