Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:44 PM

21 posts, read 156,231 times

Advertisements

My husband may be transferred to Fort Leonard Wood and we are from the southeast. I have never lived outside of Georgia and I am nervous about this move. I have read a lot of information regarding the area, but would like some real input about the area, schools, saftey, everything, from people who live there and have lived there to get the truth about the area.

Thank you for any info you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,109 times
sappergirl... welcome to the area. Have you read various threads/posts in this forum about the Ft Lost-In-The-Wood and Rolla areas? Few questions for yas: how far from the Fort would be too far? Given a, for example, 30-45 minute radius from Ft Wood, that opens up some potentials. What grades/ages are school kids? Do you prefer in town living, or rural - with land? Honestly, depending on your guys' background and preferences and where from in GA but, there will probably be more similarities than differences that yas will find in the Ft Wood area. Let us know more about what kind of preferences yas have, and in the meantime, again, welcome - 'tis a good rugged scenic safe area.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 AM

We are military and plan to just rent a house since we will only be there for 3 yrs. I would not want to be more than about 30 min from post. The kids are in pre-k and 3rd grade right now. As far as in town or rural living, not too rural, but do not have to be right in town.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the welcome!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:57 AM

938 posts, read 3,505,994 times
I'd consider Rolla. It is generally a nicer town than St. Robert or Waynesville in my opinion. However, it is about half a hour from the base (maybe even 35 min...not totally sure). If you do a search on this forum you can find may threads about both Rolla and FLW. Rolla has many rental homes, although St. Robert and Waynesville probably do too.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,240 times
I recommend Rolla. Go to RollaNet and look around.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Thank you to the ones that have posted back so far. I will check out the RollaNet site too.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 AM

Does anyone else out there have any advice??????

Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sappergirl View Post
Does anyone else out there have any advice??????
I've had friends with kids in that area. They hated the schools and moved to Rolla to get them into our school district. Rolla tends to be more, well, wholesome I guess you could say.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
I've had friends with kids in that area. They hated the schools and moved to Rolla to get them into our school district. Rolla tends to be more, well, wholesome I guess you could say.

Thank you. I definitely want to be in a safe family oriented area. Does the Rolla area offer much for the kids to do like sports, art, dancing lessons, gymnastics, swimming lessons or anything like that?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 PM

I just looked at Rollanet a little closer and was looking at the elementary schools. What is the difference in the three schools, Mark Twain, Truman, and Wyman? Is one better than the other? What determines which school you go to, just where you live within the city or are there county schools too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri