Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 AM

419 posts, read 1,181,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappergirl View Post
I just looked at Rollanet a little closer and was looking at the elementary schools. What is the difference in the three schools, Mark Twain, Truman, and Wyman? Is one better than the other? What determines which school you go to, just where you live within the city or are there county schools too?
Yeah, it depends where you live. We have a son at Wyman and we love it. Still old fashioned enough to have things like a Halloween Parade and the teachers are very caring. Where the country kids (like ours) go depends which side of town you live on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 AM

21 posts, read 156,219 times
The school my kids go to now where we live in Georgia have the most up to date technology with smart boards in the classrooms, computers etc. This is the city elementary school and it is pretty big. The school has the best of technology and caring teachers. I want the best of both worlds. lol They have Pre-K - 3rd grade and there is well over 1600 kids just in that school. It is a great school and I am very happy there. I hate to leave it if we have to move. My son is in 3rd grade this year and daughter in Pre-K, so this is my sons 5 year at this school. He will be moving on to the middle school of 4-5 grades next year if we are still here. It will be a hard move if we come there. It is beautiful there though. It would be nice to possibly have our first White Christmas! We do not get much snow here and if it does snow, it is not much. We love the snow and I think the kids would have a blast playing in it. I would too! lol Snow Ball fights!!!!!!!!!!! But It is hard leaving what you know to go to the unknown, so I appreciate everyone's input!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 AM

419 posts, read 1,181,973 times
Quote:
The school my kids go to now where we live in Georgia have the most up to date technology with smart boards in the classrooms, computers etc. This is the city elementary school and it is pretty big. The school has the best of technology and caring teachers. I want the best of both worlds. lol They have Pre-K - 3rd grade and there is well over 1600 kids just in that school. It is a great school and I am very happy there. I hate to leave it if we have to move. My son is in 3rd grade this year and daughter in Pre-K, so this is my sons 5 year at this school. He will be moving on to the middle school of 4-5 grades next year if we are still here. It will be a hard move if we come there. It is beautiful there though. It would be nice to possibly have our first White Christmas! We do not get much snow here and if it does snow, it is not much. We love the snow and I think the kids would have a blast playing in it. I would too! lol Snow Ball fights!!!!!!!!!!! But It is hard leaving what you know to go to the unknown, so I appreciate everyone's input!
Rolla is a small rural town of about 17,000, so it won't even come close to your big city school. Please take that into consideration. We also seldom have a white Christmas. Some of our heaviest snows are in March.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:11 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
I want the best of both worlds. lol ,,,I am very happy there. I hate to leave it if we have to move.... It would be nice to possibly have our first White Christmas! We do not get much snow here and if it does snow, it is not much. ...But It is hard leaving what you know to go to the unknown, so I appreciate everyone's input!
Let's just hope that your forced military move will be of short duration. As Silvermouse said, we are in outstate, rural Missouri and although Rolla schools are technologically sound, they aren't as wired as the schools you describe. Somehow, though, our community's children muddle through, get a solid education and go on to universities, colleges, trade school or the military.

You're also likely going to be disappointed by the snow. White Christmases are rare, as Silvermouse said. Snows usually come after the first of the year. February and March usually see the heaviest snowfall.

Based on what you recently wrote, I think we're not going to measure up to your expectations in south central Missouri, and you're going to be another temporary transplant who calls it Fort Lost-in-the-Woods with disdain.

On the other hand, you might be like the temporary transplants who find that they love this area so much that years and decades later, when they retire from the Army, they move to Waynesville, Rolla, St. Robert, Dixon, Crocker, Richland, Laquey, or some other little burg and live happily ever after.

Here's some information about snowfall in our area. You'll note a location called Vichy; that is the location of the Rolla National Airport.

Snow in Southwest and South Central Missouri

You can figure out that if the snowfall averages 3" for December, there are going to be many years when no snow falls at all, and a few when a lot of snow falls. Sometimes when it snows in December it comes early and melts long before Christmas.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-16-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-16-2010, 10:35 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
I just looked at Rollanet a little closer and was looking at the elementary schools. What is the difference in the three schools, Mark Twain, Truman, and Wyman? Is one better than the other? What determines which school you go to, just where you live within the city or are there county schools too?
Have you seen this site, contacted them directly for more info?
Rolla Public Schools: Schools
Rolla Public Schools: Enrollment [note the last paragraph here]

As the previous two posters have stated, Rolla [and even majority of most schools] does not have the same technology as what you've described... but IMHO that is secondary. Not saying such to be mean, at all, cause the technology is indeed good, but teachers and kids and parents, all together, that is what makes an education; along with a good solid school system.

As to the snow, that too will most likely be disappointing in midwestern states, until get much further north. Having snow, sledding, snowmen, snow ball fights, etc., that is indeed fun and good! lol, but after seeing it and the accompanying grey skies for weeks on end, such as what is experienced in Indiana and parts similar, that can wear on a person, missing the blue skies.

With that all said, as mentioned before, this part of Missouri has many positive qualities,,, but, it may take some getting used to, if have open mind and heart, when seeing and living among its more rural and beautiful aspects. So, if yas are indeed moving to the area, while not up to the same par as what you're living now and truly love, Rolla is the best recommendation. Moving from a place to another is indeed not easy, and shocking at times... esp. when a person enjoys and likes so much of their current location. All can say for now is to be positive, take it all in stride, and work & hope for the best - and at worst, just consider it a long vacation in the area, enjoying it for what it is, while he's stationed at the Fort. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 18,742 times
I thought I posted this before but oh well, My family is moving to Missouri as well for PCS to Ft. Leonardwood. We currently live in Houston and it sounds to me like Sappergirl. Its really is the best of both worlds, City amenities with suburb living. What are the towns of Missouri that are similar? My kids are in good schools and want extra curriculars as well, decent shopping _ and I dont mean, Wal-Mart, I have done a little research and the cost of living is great, but I havent seen any cities with a decent ethnic ratio. We are African American, living in Houston, where there is obviously a decent ratio all around if you choose your suburb correctly. I like Lake of the Ozarks, Ellisville and St. Louis, do any of these have a decent ratio of ethnicity because that comment about certain quirks of the people or something like that sounded a little troublesome, either way we have to move I hope its a pleasant one all around.
Thanks

Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaria23 View Post
I thought I posted this before but oh well, My family is moving to Missouri as well for PCS to Ft. Leonardwood. We currently live in Houston and it sounds to me like Sappergirl. Its really is the best of both worlds, City amenities with suburb living. What are the towns of Missouri that are similar? My kids are in good schools and want extra curriculars as well, decent shopping _ and I dont mean, Wal-Mart, I have done a little research and the cost of living is great, but I havent seen any cities with a decent ethnic ratio. We are African American, living in Houston, where there is obviously a decent ratio all around if you choose your suburb correctly. I like Lake of the Ozarks, Ellisville and St. Louis, do any of these have a decent ratio of ethnicity because that comment about certain quirks of the people or something like that sounded a little troublesome, either way we have to move I hope its a pleasant one all around.
Thanks
Well, there is a Houston, Missouri, and its not too far from Ft Wood... Seriously, you will find the "interior" of Missouri filled with wonderful scenery and people, and the schools, while not have the extra curriculars that your kids and Sappergirl's are used to, they do quite well. This is a rural area, with school budgets to fit. As mentioned before, Rolla is the closest larger community to Ft Wood that offers a very good school system, IMHO. Enjoy, and make the best/most of your stay. Best to you & your family.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 18,742 times
Thanks, I reallly hope that we do. How is the community make up of Rolla, I notice another blogger suggested it to the other lady that is soon to move. I have a question though, what is with the difference with city and county. In Texas you live in cities, like I live in Houston, or whatever suburb or other city we live in such as Katy or Sugarland, no one says I live in Harris county, which is the county that Houston is in and all of the suburbs as well. How does that work?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 AM

21 posts, read 156,219 times
Quote:
Thanks, I reallly hope that we do. How is the community make up of Rolla, I notice another blogger suggested it to the other lady that is soon to move. I have a question though, what is with the difference with city and county. In Texas you live in cities, like I live in Houston, or whatever suburb or other city we live in such as Katy or Sugarland, no one says I live in Harris county, which is the county that Houston is in and all of the suburbs as well. How does that work?
Just go to city-data.com and put in the name of the city and state and it will give you all the statistics on that city. Also, I was given the site www.Rollanet.com and there was good info there too. Let me know if you need help with anything or just want to chat!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Elementary school district boundaries are drawn, based on the census, to keep the enrollments of the three schools as close to equal as possible. The schools are of similar quality, i.e. they have similar mixes of veteran and new teachers, the same student-to-teacher ratio, the same opportunities for field trips and enrichment activities, the same curriculum, the same books in the library.

Rolla is not a big city with ghetto neighborhoods that you have to watch out for. Sure, we have some poor neighborhoods (like the one in which I live) and some wealthy neighborhoods. Each school draws students from both. Also, each school has rural students as well as town kids.

I guess every parent believes his/her kids' school is better than the other two. That's just the natural reaction. I guess each school has a set of strengths and weaknesses, although I don't know what they are.

Long time ago I was at a Rolla Board of Education meeting and heard a mother pleading to keep her home in the Mark Twain Elementary School District. The boundaries were being redrawn and it appeared that the line was being moved to put her home in the Fort Wyman Elementary School District.

Well, this mother was beside herself thinking that her daughter, who was getting ready to start school, was going to have to go to Fort Wyman instead of Mark Twain. I don't know why she found Fort Wyman so unacceptable, but she was beside herself. At the time, there were some newer subdivisions in Mark Twain district, so maybe she thought the kids in Mark Twain were richer and of higher quality.

She yammered on about the inequities in the schools and the teachers in the different schools; the board and superintendent refuted every point.

Finally, exasperated and knowing that a couple of the board members lived in the Mark Twain district, she said, "Well, would YOU send your kids to Fort Wyman?" There was a little bit of silence, and then the superintendent said, "My kids went to Wyman all through their elementary years." The board and the audience burst out laughing. She got up and stalked out.

That poor snobbish woman had forgotten that Fort Wyman district also included at the time (still does as far as I know) the subdivision where many of the town's doctors and lawyers, school administrators and teachers, live.

The point: Don't fret about making the wrong choice for your elementary children in Rolla. All three schools have similar populations. Your kids are going to have to put up with rich city kids, poor country kids, poor city kids and rich country kids in all three schools. There will be kids of MST professors, kids of retail workers, kids of medical professionals and kids of blue-collar workers (what few we have left) in each school. They'll find the same kinds of books and computers in the media centers. All three schools have old wings and new wings.

Now, having said all that, I am not necessarily encouraging you to move to Rolla. It never hurts my feelings when people decide Rolla is not the best place to live.

Quote:
We currently live in Houston and it sounds to me like Sappergirl. Its really is the best of both worlds, City amenities with suburb living. What are the towns of Missouri that are similar?
You're going to have to move to a suburb of St. Louis or Kansas City to find that kind of arrangement. Those are the only two metropolitan areas in Missouri. You might like living in Nixa or Ozark, which started out as small towns, but seem to be turning into suburbs of Springfield as that city sprawls and the two small towns grow.

Quote:
I like Lake of the Ozarks, Ellisville and St. Louis, do any of these have a decent ratio of ethnicity
St. Louis would be your best bet.

Quote:
I have a question though, what is with the difference with city and county. In Texas you live in cities, like I live in Houston, or whatever suburb or other city we live in such as Katy or Sugarland, no one says I live in Harris county, which is the county that Houston is in and all of the suburbs as well. How does that work?
Well, sometimes people who live in an unincorporated area will mention their county as their residence. For instance, I grew up in what used to be a rural area outside Springfield, so I usually say I grew up in Greene County. People who live outside Rolla often say they live "in the county" or "in Phelps County."

I often use the terms interchangeably when meeting new people. I may say I'm from Rolla. I may say I'm from Phelps County. It depends on who I'm talking to and what mood I'm in, I guess.

The same is true in Texas, according to my wife, a native Houstonian. People who live near Stephenville will say they're from Erath County. Those from near Granbury will say they're from Hood County.

Doesn't the TV weatherman talk about the weather in Harris County, Montgomery County, etc.?

So, summing up, it looks like the best place for you to live, given your requirements for shopping, schools and ethnicity, is St. Louis County. That's a heckuva commute to Fort Leonard Wood, though. You may have to compromise and live in Pulaski County or one of the surrounding counties--while praying for a short assignment in Fort Wood so you can get the heck out.

Hope all of this helps.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-24-2010 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri