Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is better?
Georgia 41 22.53%
Texas 141 77.47%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Texas is the greater state IMHO. It has more to offer overall due to sheer size and more large cities. I love Georgia but honestly Atlanta is the only city I could live in.
^^^^ And a lot of people would say that they could not live outside of the four major metros in Texas. So in that way, Texas and Georgia are the same.

But I really don't understand why we're comparing two states that are so different anyway. It's silly.

-- Texas is 268,581 square miles, with a population of 26.4 million and a density of 98.1 psm

-- Georgia is 59,425 square miles, with a population of 9.99 million and a density of 168 psm

-- Georgia could fit into Texas 4.5 times. If Georgia were the size of Texas, with the same density, its population would be 45.1 million!

Looking at this another way:

Georgia, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina COMBINED are 263,438 square miles -- 5,000 square miles smaller than Texas! Yet the combined populations of those states is 48.98 million!

Further, the combined states of Georgia, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina contain EIGHT (8) of the 50 largest metros in the country -- Miami, Atlanta, Tampa, Charlotte, Orlando, Jacksonville, Raleigh and Birmingham -- compared to just FOUR in Texas.

CONCLUSION: There's a whole lot of ABSOLUTE NOTHINGNESS in Texas.

Last edited by Newsboy; 04-24-2014 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 12:09 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
There is alot of emptiness in Texas, but there's also alot beauty and charm to it as well. Also combining those states will feel as large as Texas and with a higher population. But you still will not have the same type of diversity that Texas has.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Btw, there are many more cities in Texas that are growing at a fast rate, Tyler, Waco, Killeen, Temple, Corpus Christi, Lubbock, Midland, El Paso, ect. Our economy is robust even in our smaller cities.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:02 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^^ And a lot of people would say that they could not live outside of the four major metros in Texas. So in that way, Texas and Georgia are the same.

But I really don't understand why we're comparing two states that are so different anyway. It's silly.

-- Texas is 268,581 square miles, with a population of 26.4 million and a density of 98.1 psm

-- Georgia is 59,425 square miles, with a population of 9.99 million and a density of 168 psm

-- Georgia could fit into Texas 4.5 times. If Georgia were the size of Texas, with the same density, its population would be 45.1 million!

Looking at this another way:

Georgia, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina COMBINED are 263,438 square miles -- 5,000 square miles smaller than Texas! Yet the combined populations of those states is 48.98 million!

Further, the combined states of Georgia, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina contain EIGHT (8) of the 50 largest metros in the country -- Miami, Atlanta, Tampa, Charlotte, Orlando, Jacksonville, Raleigh and Birmingham -- compared to just FOUR in Texas.

Amen, brother. Excellent post. The size of Texas is a joke.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call nature nothing. A lower population density only means that Texas has more open space and protected area than Georgia. That's a good thing. And even at 98 ppsm, we're still more dense than the United States is overall.

Plus, you really have to remember to look at Texas as a small nation that has several states. You also have to remember that it sits in both the Eastern U.S. and the Western U.S. The sparse development of the western half is very different from the much more consistent development in the eastern half; just like the U.S.. If you were to take every part of the state along I-35 and east of it, which is where the overwhelming majority of Texans live anyway, you would have an area roughly the size of Georgia but even denser.

Last edited by Nairobi; 04-24-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 12:25 PM

135 posts, read 179,472 times
Quote:

And if New Jersey were the size of Georgia, its population would be 71.4 million. If Wyoming was the size of Georgia, it would have a population of 350,000. If you made some fictional grouping of Northeastern states, you could have some region with half the size of Texas (126,000 less square miles) and a population of over 60 million (a trend as true in 1861 as it is today).

Why did I write all this? I don't know..... I guess to be equally irrelevant or uninsightful.

Texas is a bigger state with more people. End of story.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:41 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:

Exactly. That's why I said you really need to throw a couple of other states in with GA (like NM), add a few hundred miles of coastline and several hundred miles of international border, to even get a fair fight with Texas.

I'm glad you took the advice. Now how about starting a poll for your favorite group of GA + whatever states you want to lump in to make it even? Then we can compare them. You can even make the population/empty land argument. I kind of feel like Texas will still win, but why not give it a shot?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:51 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Exactly. That's why I said you really need to throw a couple of other states in with GA (like NM), add a few hundred miles of coastline and several hundred miles of international border, to even get a fair fight with Texas.

I'm glad you took the advice. Now how about starting a poll for your favorite group of GA + whatever states you want to lump in to make it even? Then we can compare them. You can even make the population/empty land argument. I kind of feel like Texas will still win, but why not give it a shot?
Pffft. I'll still take the GA coastline in a New York minute. We don't need to add other states to make our argument.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Texas is much larger with much more diversity (land-wise, among others) so this is most definitely NOT a fair fight.

Georgia is nice and all (I'm a native) and we have things Texas does not (I don't care what you say, you can't replicate Savannah in Texas) but... yeah... Obvious answer.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Northern Georgia is rather nice with some hills and the Atlanta Metro area. Both are probably not states I'd naturally want to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.