Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city gets picked on the most at C-D?
Los Angeles 50 61.73%
Phoenix 27 33.33%
Charlotte 4 4.94%
Philadelphia 7 8.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,036,268 times

Advertisements

So the question now is, why do people move to these "hellholes" and unexpectedly become disappointed? Is it unfilled expectations (nice sunny weather 24/7, beaches, crime free)...or is it just a feeling of entitlement that they never received?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,582,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I think it has more to do with Houston being an auto-centric, unwalkable sprawlsville. Also, there is a huge backlash against Texans in this country. Most from Texas don't see it (because they can't see past their own backyards), but that maddening Texas pride has spawned a generation of people who loathe even the mention of the word "Texas". That and George Bush. Well, maybe mostly him, but also the pride. And the cowboy regalia.

P.S. and the pickup trucks.
And your stereotypical and narrow-minded view of Texans and Texas only goes further into helping prove sweetclimber's point. The pride that Texans have is only normal. It's not as if we're arrogant.

And for the last time, George Bush does not represent Texas.

For years and years, residents of this state have been trying to shed the stereotypes, but we never can. Why? Because out-of-towners insist on being so closed minded.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,974,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
So the question now is, why do people move to these "hellholes" and unexpectedly become disappointed? Is it unfilled expectations (nice sunny weather 24/7, beaches, crime free)...or is it just a feeling of entitlement that they never received?
LOL! False expectations and especially this idiotic sense of entitlement that people have these days is causing a lot of problems.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,602,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
And your stereotypical and narrow-minded view of Texans and Texas only goes further into helping prove sweetclimber's point. The pride that Texans have is only normal. It's not as if we're arrogant.

And for the last time, George Bush does not represent Texas.

For years and years, residents of this state have been trying to shed the stereotypes, but we never can. Why? Because out-of-towners insist on being so closed minded.
I was being toungue-in-cheek with the George Bush and cowboy gear references.....but my main point stands. You may not see yourselves as arrogant, but the rest of the country does. You cannot judge your sense of pride from within your frame of reference, because to you it is normal. To everyone not in the Lone Star state, it is obnoxious and sickening. You innocently think that the rest of the country has an adoration for Texas and your customs, but in reality the exact opposite is true.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I was being toungue-in-cheek with the George Bush and cowboy gear references.....but my main point stands. You may not see yourselves as arrogant, but the rest of the country does. You cannot judge your sense of pride from within your frame of reference, because to you it is normal. To everyone not in the Lone Star state, it is obnoxious and sickening. You innocently think that the rest of the country has an adoration for Texas and your customs, but in reality the exact opposite is true.
Where does all of this come from? Never in life have I ever heard anyone say that "Texas is the greatest" and "Texans are the greatest people". I've never said anything like that, and no one I know has said anything like that. We may feel that way, but that doesn't mean we expect others to feel the same. Truth is, most Texans could care less what the rest of the world thinks about us. We're sick of defending ourselves.

Now, many New Yorkers are the ones who try to force everyone to believe that if it's not in NY, it's not worth it. And I'm sure that wherever you're from, there are thousands of people who act like everyone should be like them. In fact, most states are like that. Texas is no different. We're just big, that's all.

State pride is generally very playful, and not to be taken seriously. But in the future, speak for yourself. Don't act like everybody is against Texas, just because you have a personal problem with it.

And please lose the stereotypes. It's very played.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:32 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,327,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
and its downtown is as fun as watching a dog take a steaming dump.
Ewww, that's gross! I don't think that's even the best analogy. Downtown Phoenix isn't gross or smelly-- it's just boring. A better analogy would be going to downtown Phoenix is as fun as staring at a concrete wall.

Central Ave, downtown Phoenix:

Quote:
And I'm sure that wherever you're from, there are thousands of people who act like everyone should be like them. In fact, most states are like that. Texas is no different. We're just big, that's all. State pride is generally very playful, and not to be taken seriously. But in the future, speak for yourself.
I agree, mpope409, about what you say about state pride. Although Texas doesn't do anything for me personally. Nothing against it though. BTW, I'm starting to think Arizona is the most awesome state of the 50:

Old 12-11-2007, 12:42 PM

City and state pride comes from one being in that place for a very extended amount of time and seeing and finding things in that place that the average out-of-towner cannot appreciate. For example, those of us who have been there think that we can understand why a New Yorker loves their city so much, when the truth is, only a New Yorker knows what's truly so great about it.

You tend to become attached to the place where you experience most of your good days.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Where does all of this come from? Never in life have I ever heard anyone say that "Texas is the greatest" and "Texans are the greatest people". I've never said anything like that, and no one I know has said anything like that. We may feel that way, but that doesn't mean we expect others to feel the same. Truth is, most Texans could care less what the rest of the world thinks about us. We're sick of defending ourselves.

Now, many New Yorkers are the ones who try to force everyone to believe that if it's not in NY, it's not worth it. And I'm sure that wherever you're from, there are thousands of people who act like everyone should be like them. In fact, most states are like that. Texas is no different. We're just big, that's all.

State pride is generally very playful, and not to be taken seriously. But in the future, speak for yourself. Don't act like everybody is against Texas, just because you have a personal problem with it.

And please lose the stereotypes. It's very played.
I'll give you one example. I believe it was from the show Survivor. All of the contestants were given the option to take one possession with them to the island. What does the guy from Texas take? THE TEXAS STATE FLAG. Now if that does not make you puke, I don't know what would. I agree with you that NYC residents are overbearing, but I feel they are unique in that their hyperbole is justified, because NYC is just that special.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:58 PM

TEXAS PRIDE (http://www.alamodescendants.org/Htm%20Pages/texas_pride.htm - broken link)

That is one of the top results on a google search. I am sure there are many, many more like it.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I'll give you one example. I believe it was from the show Survivor. All of the contestants were given the option to take one possession with them to the island. What does the guy from Texas take? THE TEXAS STATE FLAG.
So he deserves to be hated because he loves his state? I can understand if he was rubbing it in everyone's face, but bringing a flag with him only means that Texas is very close to his heart. I don't see how that makes him arrogant.

Quote:
I agree with you that NYC residents are overbearing, but I feel they are unique in that their hyperbole is justified, because NYC is just that special.
That's the most biased, obstinate thing I've ever heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.