Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:30 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Good post KP. I think the biggest rivalry is between the Yanks and the Sox. There is some between the Giants and the Eagles but I agree with Bajan about the Redskins and the Giants. And especially about Dallas! Why are there so many Dallas fans?
Everyone in the NFC east hates the Cowgirls

I am personally torn between my dislike of the Giants and Cowboys here

I hate both the Rangers and Devils, indifferent on the Islanders

I hate the mutts, sort of dislike the Yanks but the Sox moreso

On the Knicks, well hate would be to strong. I do miss the 80s rivalry with the Celts though as a Sixers fan - maybe just a reason to care really
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If you were from the North Shore you probably saw the similar visual look between the North Shore and say Connecticut. Especially in places like Oyster Bay, Cold Spring Harbor or Huntington Village.

We have some similarities on the South Shore (in Suffolk anyway) but you have to look in between past the newer suburbs for older places like Babylon Village, Amityville, Islip Hamlet, Sayville and Bellport. And of course the East End towns.

Absolutely spot on! Couldn't rep you again. I grew up in Oyster Bay and spent lots of time in surrounding tows such as Huntington and Cold Spring Harbor.

I love the South Shore towns that you mentioned. Especially Babylon Village, Bellport Village and Sayvillle.. They all have that "New England Vibe" of white steepled churches, small independent shops and a walkable down town.

All very picturesque!

I now live in the Connecticut Western Reserve part of Ohio. Settled by people from Connecticut. It hasthat same New England vibe that resonates for me.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
It makes sense to me that people who live east of New York City would feel more connected with New England and Boston.

I once drove from Secaucus, New Jersey to Jones Beach in Long Island and I don't think I will ever do that again. lol.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It makes sense to me that people who live east of New York City would feel more connected with New England and Boston.

I once drove from Secaucus, New Jersey to Jones Beach in Long Island and I don't think I will ever do that again. lol.
Getting out to Long Island is truly a pain - I literally have had multiple occasions where I got to the Verazano Bridge in half the time it took me to get to Nassau county from there (got to (from Philly) BK in like 80 minutes and from BK to Nassau was like 2 hours)

Old 05-09-2014, 01:59 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Absolutely spot on! Couldn't rep you again. I grew up in Oyster Bay and spent lots of time in surrounding tows such as Huntington and Cold Spring Harbor.

I love the South Shore towns that you mentioned. Especially Babylon Village, Bellport Village and Sayvillle.. They all have that "New England Vibe" of white steepled churches, small independent shops and a walkable down town.

All very picturesque!

I now live in the Connecticut Western Reserve part of Ohio. Settled by people from Connecticut. It hasthat same New England vibe that resonates for me.
In Babylon we have two of those white steepled churches. Well three if you count the Baptist church with its small white steeple but the walls are made up of brick.

First Presbyterian Church*Of Babylon - Home (Presbyterian)
The United Methodist Church of Babylon - The United Methodist Church of Babylon (Methodist)

However the biggest church has to be the St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church which has a typical old brick European look. Very nice on the inside.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:19 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Getting out to Long Island is truly a pain - I literally have had multiple occasions where I got to the Verazano Bridge in half the time it took me to get to Nassau county from there (got to (from Philly) BK in like 80 minutes and from BK to Nassau was like 2 hours)
I know, I know. When I was kid living in Queens, my mother used to drive us out sometimes to Jones Beach. So to this day I associate Jones Beach with summer beach traffic lol.

Timing is critical when traveling in the New York area, especially traveling to Long Island or on the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95). And I try to avoid the GW Bridge at all costs, even at night. And that was before a certain Governor was closing lanes!

When I am traveling southward, to avoid the traffic I usually leave in the early morning or sometimes in the evening after dinner. Usually we cross over the Verrazano Bridge and then the Outerbridge crossing at the extreme southern end of Staten Island as this avoids most of northern New Jersey. Then you should have smooth sailing until you get to the DC area. I don't why but for some reason DC seems to have almost as much traffic as New York even though they a lot less people.

Outerbridge Crossing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It must be really annoying for someone from Boston traveling to Virginia or the Carolinas to have travel through BOTH the New York and DC areas!

Old 05-09-2014, 02:58 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As hole, New York probably has more similarities to Philly (after taking architecture, "personality" etc. into account). But it's not by much. The big difference between NYC and Philly is that there are many more Black people in the latter. 3 of the city's last 5 mayors have been African American. And the black community is predominantly descended from the American South rather than Africa or the Caribbean. This is something that makes Philly a bit dissimilar from NYC. Boston is a bit more similar to NYC in this regard.
That is a accurate assessment. When it comes to overall similarities between New York city and Philadelphia, Boston etc in order its Philly>>Boston>>>>>the rest . The black demographics of NYC are more similar to Boston because they both have a much larger West Indian population. The white demographics of NYC are a bit more similar to Philly than Boston because NYC and Philadelphia have more Italians and Jews than Boston. One thing that differentiates NYC from either Boston or Philly is that there is a much larger Jewish influence/character in NYC.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:35 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I have more connections to the south of NYC. Went to school north of NYC.

As a whole, New York probably has more similarities to Philly (after taking architecture, "personality," etc. into account). But it's not by much. The big difference between NYC and Philly is that there are many more Black people in the latter. 3 of the city's last 5 mayors have been African American. And the black community is predominantly descended from the American South rather than Africa or the Caribbean. This is something that makes Philly a bit dissimilar from NYC. Boston is a bit more similar to NYC in this regard.

As you move down the East Coast from Philadelphia, any similarities with NYC are pretty much non-existent (beyond very general things like transit). Heading north of NYC, there's much more demographic similarity.
This is a good post. I will say that going to school in NYC it seemed the kids from Long Island, "Upstate" New York and Connecticut were more connected to New England and Boston than Philly-although most were in their own world. I once had a girl from Suffolk County ask if I was flying home to Philly. I explained to her that I would be home in 1.5 hours via Amtrak while she was still on the LIRR. Although, that is not to say that NYC/Boston and Philly/Baltimore/DC have all that in common with eachother. Oddly, even though these Metros border eachother their individual identities remain distinct. It is one of my favorite things about the Northeast.

Quote:
Ugh, yes-this has happened to me too many times.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-09-2014 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:

I agree completely! There are things that I miss about "The Island" but getting on and off of it isn't one of them.

Now that I live "on the main land" I travel by car much more than I did as a Long Island resident.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
That is a accurate assessment. When it comes to overall similarities between New York city and Philadelphia, Boston etc in order its Philly>>Boston>>>>>the rest . The black demographics of NYC are more similar to Boston because they both have a much larger West Indian population. The white demographics of NYC are a bit more similar to Philly than Boston because NYC and Philadelphia have more Italians and Jews than Boston. One thing that differentiates NYC from either Boston or Philly is that there is a much larger Jewish influence/character in NYC.

There are plenty of Jews in both the Boston and Philly suburbs. I went to college with too many to count.

I think that ethnic Bostonians (and to a degree, those from Philly) are more likely to fly under the radar and not even be perceived as "ethnic".

Many have changed their names over the years and tend to act somewhat "WASPY" or "preppy".

There are however, thriving Jewish communities outside of both Boston and Philadelphia.
Newton Center (Boston) and Elkins Park) Philly, come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.