Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite(s) Unique Place?
San Francisco, CA 19 42.22%
New Orleans, LA 12 26.67%
Austin, TX 5 11.11%
Rapid City, SD 3 6.67%
Washington, DC 5 11.11%
Daytona Beach, FL 2 4.44%
Olympia, WA 4 8.89%
Asheville, NC 4 8.89%
Green Bay, WI 2 4.44%
Santa Fe, NM 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:38 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
But it does not represent blacks. It does not represent black heritage. Surely you're not comparing hip-hop to the likes of gospel.
Eh, but I am.

Quote:
Well it isn't as if it was signed by a black New Yorker, so that's neither here nor there.
I don't care. I love Philly, I represent Philly all the time. And I said thanks to the North, not thanks to New York.

Quote:
No sir. The culture of New Orleans goes much deeper than Mardi Gras. NOLA has a foundation of traditions and practices that outdate the city itself. Voodoo, zydeco, and not to mention the oddest funerals you could ever witness in your life. The list goes on and on. New Orleans is in a whole other realm of unique.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=le7_j_U3M-0

The city has a very homogeneous culture. Meaning that customs and traditions are practiced by most of the residents in the city. I can't think of another place that can claim that same thing.
So New York has "lame" and "boring" cultures? That must mean the world is lame. lol No way, dude, New York can be extremely strange, that IS New York. I won't say that New Orelans isn't lame, I voted for New Orleans. But I don't think it's any more unique than Chicago or New York. New York and Chicago have it all.

We're getting sort of off topic here so I'll go ahead and stop now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Eh, but I am.
Which is the result of general disrespect for history and heritage. Yet, I can understand why you would think that.

Quote:
I don't care. I love Philly, I represent Philly all the time. And I said thanks to the North, not thanks to New York.
I still don't see what that has to do with anything.

Quote:
So New York has "lame" and "boring" cultures?
I never said that. Who in their right mind would say that?

Quote:
That must mean the world is lame. lol No way, dude, New York can be extremely strange, that IS New York. I won't say that New Orelans isn't lame, I voted for New Orleans. But I don't think it's any more unique than Chicago or New York. New York and Chicago have it all.
New York and Chicago are very big. They're more of a crossroads between different cultures while New Orleans is one big culture. And while there are subcultures of strange folks in NY and CHI, both cities are generally still based upon American concepts and values. Not so in New Orleans.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Which is the result of general disrespect for history and heritage. Yet, I can understand why you would think that.

I still don't see what that has to do with anything.

I never said that. Who in their right mind would say that?

New York and Chicago are very big. They're more of a crossroads between different cultures while New Orleans is one big culture. And while there are subcultures of strange folks in NY and CHI, both cities are generally still based upon American concepts and values. Not so in New Orleans.
New York does have people who only practice their own culture. There was even a show on a couple months ago about a family in Queens who have an extremely strange African jungle-like culture. It was on some sort of medical show - like Medical Incredible, can't remember the name. Sorry, couldn't resist saying something...

Old 12-12-2007, 11:22 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,107 times
Quote:
How is "African-American" culture unique to New York and Chicago when black roots are in the south?
I don't know who came up with this falsehood, but African-American culture is NOT unique to Chicago or NY. Jazz from New Orleans and The Blues from the Mississippi Delta. Memphis, and even Baltimore are more associated with the Blues than the other two! Hip-Hop is 'pop', but 95% of it is LCD, and I know because I have to monitor my 10 year old neice!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:51 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
New York does have people who only practice their own culture. There was even a show on a couple months ago about a family in Queens who have an extremely strange African jungle-like culture. It was on some sort of medical show - like Medical Incredible, can't remember the name. Sorry, couldn't resist saying something...
All major cities have a subculture of strange folks. Most of New York, though, is still the northeastern, urban American.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
All major cities have a subculture of strange folks. Most of New York, though, is still the northeastern, urban American.
I'm afraid I've never heard of "Northeastern, Urban American" culture... New York is a melting pot. New York is anything but American cultured... For one, New Yorkers don't rely on their cars. Two, New Yorkers don't grill one their fancy gas grills with a stove. And three, 47.6% of the population in New York speaks a language other than English in their household (about half of our population... And these numbers are INCREASING).

Last edited by Futcha; 12-13-2007 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
What was the epicenter of post-9/11, flag-waving, chest-thumping "patriotism" (nationalism) which has trickled down to every pickup truck and rodeo in the United States? Oh right, Manhattan.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
What was the epicenter of post-9/11, flag-waving, chest-thumping "patriotism" (nationalism) which has trickled down to every pickup truck and rodeo in the United States? Oh right, Manhattan.
What?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,107 times
Quote:
I'm afraid I've never heard of "Northeastern, Urban American" culture... New York is a melting pot. New York is anything but American cultured... For one, New Yorkers don't rely on their cars. Two, New Yorkers don't grill one their fancy gas grills with a stove. And three, 47.6% of the population in New York speaks a language other than English in their household (about half of our population... And these numbers are INCREASING).
^^^ He's alluding to the right-wing, pro-war conservative patriotism of striking back and creating peace (or nation states) in the middle east. I know New York was the epicenter of political fund raising for clean-up, re-constuction and compensation for victims families. The backdoor try to secure 87 billion extra in association with the 22.6 billion already awarded by the country was 'character' revealing, but I don't see how that connects with the yee-haw get-em patriotism you may see in red state middle America. Also, please to be explaining "New Yorker's don't grill one their fancy gas grills with a stove."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.