Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 04:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quintessentially American in 2022 is self-centered, delusional, and corrupt. I’m not sure whether to pick New York or California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 04:40 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
NC, literally has everything from some of the first settlements, beach and island to piedmont to mountains and ski resorts, small towns to major urban areas, multiple climate areas.

VA, tons and tons of history.any similarities to NC

NY, It's not popular now but it's history is undeniable. It has beach and ocean to mountains, hills, and great lakes. It's not only NYC but has places like Cooperstown and baseball hall of fame. It has the quintessential 4 seasons and epic summer lakes

OH, it's stereotypical middle america/rustbelt/Midwest.

IA, just because it's often one of the first states I would think about. Has many of the same qualities of ohio. Very patriotic and America loving.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:31 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Quintessentially American in 2022 is self-centered, delusional, and corrupt. I’m not sure whether to pick New York or California.
That explains all the Texas votes.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:51 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Hasn't Texas tried to secede at least once? And isn't it the "Republic of Texas", implying they're an independent country?
For me, that would wipe Texas off the list.

I think a state with a variety of well-integrated ethnicities exemplifies the "melting pot". California comes to mind.
Inhabitants of New England states like Maine are often seen as self-sufficient, that's very American.
Farmers feed the world, so the Midwestern Breadbasket (and California) come to mind.

I'm sure a case can be made for nearly any state.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:59 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Hasn't Texas tried to secede at least once? And isn't it the "Republic of Texas", implying they're an independent country?
For me, that would wipe Texas off the list.
They did secede on 2/23/1861.

No, it's the State of Texas.

Prior to Texas joining the United States in 1845, it was an independent Republic since it had won independence from Mexico in 1836.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:13 PM

668 posts, read 470,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I have to relate a funny Texas story from this past Sunday. I was invited to a graduation brunch on Sunday morning in downtown Philly. Beautiful sunny morning with all the parents and graduates from U of PA roaming around. Wharton Business School was graduating on Sunday morning at the Academy of Music. I was walking about and I saw a family with their son in cap and gown and the father was carrying a large Texas state flag. He was literally parading around downtown Philly with his state flag for his sons graduation from Wharton. What in the world is with Texans and that flag? Your state means that much to you as a point of pride that you need to parade it around in a city hundreds of miles away where the vast vast majority of Philadelphians could not care less about Texas? Why at your sons graduation? The father looked so juvenile and silly with that flag.

So no, Texas is automatically disqualified as the people there are Texans first and foremost and Americans as an afterthought. They fly their own state flag much more than the Stars and Stripes. I assume secession is a much bigger deal than I thought to them. Texas is a foreign country.
I'm betting most of the people there had no idea what the flag was and thought he was just nuts LOL

Old 02-15-2022, 04:50 PM

1,040 posts, read 682,834 times
I'd argue that the most quinnitessential American state is probably Pennsylvania.

Two large metros - one is in the northeast and the other is more rust belt/mid western, with accents that match their region. Like most metro areas around the country, they tend to be more liberal in the cities and more mixed in the suburbs.

Then between those two metros, you have rural rust belt like and farming communities that are mostly conservative and quite religious.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:05 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, California, Illinois

Alot of people are ignoring coastal states but the majority of Americans live in urban, coastal metropolitan areas.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:58 AM

678 posts, read 410,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Alot of people are ignoring coastal states but the majority of Americans live in urban, coastal metropolitan areas.
Source(s)?

Old 02-16-2022, 11:56 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
I was thinking Indiana or Ohio. But could also see Pennsylvania or Virginia.

Haven't seen too many say Massachusetts - where the Boston Tea Party was and tons of our history started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.