Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The same happens when people talk about Florida summers. But no one says a thing during the winter time. Because Florida's turrible.
Pretty much. Florida may be miserable now, but wait till January, when Flights in X non-Florida city get cancelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 05:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm in Montreal and i gauge the severity of winter by how many times i have to shovel my car out of its parking space, it happened twice in the winter just passed.IMO not a bad winter at all.
Temperatures are not a factor as you just dress appropriately for the conditions,infinitely preferable to something akin to Florida's unrelenting 8 month sauna bath..
6 month sauna bath give or take. Even South Florida on summer nights the temps drop to 75. I don't see how 6 months of unrelenting miserable summer DAYS(Florida summer nights aren't too bad) is any worse than 4 months of non-stop snow and ICE, day AND night. At least with Florida Heat, there's an absolute guaranteed the sun will go down, and temps will fall, and in South Florida, the ocean breeze acts as a natural AC. Northern winters and winters in general, when it's cold and icy, there's no assurance that conditions will change in the next few hours. There's no part of any wintery annually cold city that has an area where temps are warmer, or where people can warm-up, the same way ocean temps can cool off a South Florida coastline on a summer night. Having said all that, a Florida summer day and a Montreal winter day seem equally as miserable to me.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
6 month sauna bath give or take. Even South Florida on summer nights the temps drop to 75. I don't see how 6 months of unrelenting miserable summer DAYS(Florida summer nights aren't too bad) is any worse than 4 months of non-stop snow and ICE, day AND night. At least with Florida Heat, there's an absolute guaranteed the sun will go down, and temps will fall, and in South Florida, the ocean breeze acts as a natural AC. Northern winters and winters in general, when it's cold and icy, there's no assurance that conditions will change in the next few hours. There's no part of any wintery annually cold city that has an area where temps are warmer, or where people can warm-up, the same way ocean temps can cool off a South Florida coastline on a summer night. Having said all that, a Florida summer day and a Montreal winter day seem equally as miserable to me.
After spending 20 years working construction in the Florida heat i think my internal wiring got short circuited as i now prefer cold to hot weather, temps over 80 become very uncomfortable for me, temps over 90 downright debilitating. Canadian winter or Florida summer is an easy choice for me.where's my tuque eh!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:15 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
but when it comes to people discussing the absolutely, perfectly gorgeous, temperate, warm but with low humidity, lush, green, early summer that we are having up here, it's...crickets.

Is it just that people like to complain and don't bother to appreciate the great things about where they live?
People seem to do this in the Seattle thread a lot. Many who live there say Seattle has the worst winters- It makes me wonder if they have ever heard of winter in the midwest.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
What is it about winter that people dont like? if its just about the cold then you arent dressing appropriately.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:56 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What is it about winter that people dont like? if its just about the cold then you arent dressing appropriately.
That's not always the case. I can go outside in the winter layered in silk, wool, polypropylene, Polartec and Goretex, wearing a parka, hat, scarf, ski gloves and good boots and still be cold.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:21 AM

533 posts, read 643,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's not always the case. I can go outside in the winter layered in silk, wool, polypropylene, Polartec and Goretex, wearing a parka, hat, scarf, ski gloves and good boots and still be cold.
And those gray depressing short days with no greenery outside. It is beautiful for the first month or two but depressing after that.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Going to Florida for a week near the end of July and I'm dreading it in I'm sure the same way I'm sure a Floridian would dread Milwaukee in February. The weather has been absolutely phenominal up here so far, we've been hiking and boating all over the place in the most pleasant conditions possible.
Don't be so hard on yourself. People dread Milwaukee all times of year.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:02 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Even living in the snowiest major metro area, that isn't true. It isn't non stop and the winters do vary in terms of severity.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself. People dread Milwaukee all times of year.
Says the guy in the coldest, dreariest major city in America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.