Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:49 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times

Advertisements

Nowhere in the South is devoid of a southern accent except for the Trans Pecos region of Texas, which can largely be considered part of the Southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 04:10 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There are low class people in the suburbs, and there are southern accents all over the northshore. Immediate New Orleans is city limits only and people outside of that do have southern accents, less so on the eastbank of the southshore (Kenner and Metairie).
Standard American accent?
I know several people from Slidell Louisiana who have absolutely no traceable southern accent. Slidell is right outside of New Orleans by maybe 15-20 miles at most.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:38 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I know several people from Slidell Louisiana who have absolutely no traceable southern accent. Slidell is right outside of New Orleans by maybe 15-20 miles at most.
Are Northern Virginia and South Florida excluded from the discussion?

Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Are Northern Virginia and South Florida excluded from the discussion?
They are still part of the south. You might as well exclude southern and western Texas too with that line of thinking.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:32 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
And I know people from all over the northshore who have southern accents.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:14 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times
The posters suggesting Dallas, Houston, Austin, et al. have clearly never lived in South Florida.

I lived in Boca Raton, FL for 12 years, and I can count on one or maybe two hands how many times I heard a white non-Hispanic local speak with a Southern accent. Most, if not all, of these people were transplants from other Southern states.

The most common accent you hear in South Florida is a New York accent, as most of the white people and--believe it or not--many of the Hispanic and black people living in South Florida are originally from New York or New Jersey. In fact, there are so many transplants from NY/NJ in South Florida that kids who were born and raised there--who have never lived anywhere else, mind you--speak with a hybrid NY-General American accent! For example, kids might say "cauwffee," but still pronounce "Florida" and "orange" the General American way whereas their parents would pronounce those words as "cauffee," "Flahrida," and "ahrange." Bizarre, to say the least.

In Dallas, Houston, Austin, and the rest of Texas, you hear Southern accents all of the time--well, at least I did. The only city in Texas in which you don't hear Southern accents is El Paso. Never been to the RGV, so can't speak for that area. FWIW, I classify the Texas accent as Southern.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 06-15-2014 at 11:23 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Like Florida, northern West Virginia has had a lot of incomers, basically since the 1850s when the B&O laid tracks from Baltimore to Wheeling and Parkersburg. The Telsur Project draws the line of southern dialect diagonally across northern WV at Clarksburg, Harrison County, but you can still find some southern-lite accents above the line.

Don Knotts, who grew up in Monongalia County, said that when he started in show business he had to take elocution lessons to get rid of his accent. Perhaps if he knew he would end up in a show like "Mayberry" he might have changed his mind.

Randy Moss is a good example of a south central WV accent. The MTV show "Buckwild" also had a lot of south central accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV3Dgsgqw3g

These gentleman are all from the Kanawha Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDS3V1WBUM

This is the most enjoyable WV accent I've found, you'd have to go to the rural areas in southern WV to hear this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVvagfTeBPc

Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Northern VA (and I mean the suburbs of DC) is Mid-Atlantic. This area isn't that dissimilar from areas you'd find in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and even New Jersey dare I say. So you're not going to find a ton of southern accents in this region. However, the rest of VA is southern. Trying to think of other areas, I imagine Florida south of Orlando would be another. You're obviously not going to find a ton of southern accents around Miami. Possibly the major urban areas of Texas that would be transplant saturated and not too southern at all in general, looking at Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin, and San Antonio. A few other southern areas that would be popular with transplants would be the Atlanta metro, The Triangle region of NC (Cary, I'm looking at you!), Richmond and the Hampton Roads regions in VA, and possibly Nashville. However, these areas are definitely not devoid of the southern accent, just possibly a little diluted. For example, I've heard that the southern accent is dying out among younger generations in the Atlanta metro along with the Triangle in NC. Damn Yankees! All jokes aside, both of these areas are attracting growth and people from around the world, but you'll definitely hear plenty of southern accents if you go 10 miles or so outside of these metros.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Like Florida, northern West Virginia has had a lot of incomers, basically since the 1850s when the B&O laid tracks from Baltimore to Wheeling and Parkersburg. The Telsur Project draws the line of southern dialect diagonally across northern WV at Clarksburg, Harrison County, but you can still find some southern-lite accents above the line.

Don Knotts, who grew up in Monongalia County, said that when he started in show business he had to take elocution lessons to get rid of his accent. Perhaps if he knew he would end up in a show like "Mayberry" he might have changed his mind.

Randy Moss is a good example of a south central WV accent. The MTV show "Buckwild" also had a lot of south central accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV3Dgsgqw3g

These gentleman are all from the Kanawha Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDS3V1WBUM

This is the most enjoyable WV accent I've found, you'd have to go to the rural areas in southern WV to hear this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVvagfTeBPc
LOL! That last girl is as southern as they come! I've found many people in the mountains of Applachia have even thicker accents than in the flat lands of Alabama and Mississippi.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 PM

624 posts, read 906,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
But even in the areas listed above they are fairly common.
Growing up in San Antonio I always thought I didn’t have any southern accent. I have relatives in Savannah and I knew I didn’t sound like them. But when my Illinois relatives would hear the yall and they would jump in it and say there’s that Texas accent. Everybody uses yall, Hispanic, black and white, you don’t notice how common it is here until someone points it out. A co-worker from Boston noted one time why do people down here add syllables to words that don’t belong, I had no idea what she was talking about. Her examples were its pronounced the-atre not the-ate-atre and its ath-lete not ath-a-lete. She added it’s not as if it’s spoken with a strong southern twang, and its spoken quickly you locals just don’t notice it. A Canadian friend stayed here for two weeks a said he couldn’t identify any particular words that I just spoke with a slight drawl, not sure what that implies. I could definitely hear his accent any word with an “ou’ out, about, house etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.