Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 05:47 PM

56 posts, read 79,651 times

Advertisements

Dude the South starts in Va go travel to real Southern States. Maryland is the gateway to the North the Mason-Dixon is out dated. I'm not going to go back and forward to make some pointless argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:59 PM

96 posts, read 100,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCK29 View Post
Dude the South starts in Va go travel to real Southern States. Maryland is the gateway to the North the Mason-Dixon is out dated. I'm not going to go back and forward to make some pointless argument.
Your right it is a pointless argument when no one can argue against Maryland being a Southern State. It has Northern influence from northern transplants but it does not ever take away that Maryland is a Southern State and it is embarrassing trying to against that.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:09 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,202 times
DC seems to identify more with itself and the south and the west as well in culture and vibe compared to Baltimore. Baltimore seems to identify more with the Northeast, even tho it is also very similar in dialects to DC.

My impression of DC is that it doesn't really vibe with the North. They're on their own thing: Boss of bosses I guess. It even just happens to be within the MD/VA area but separate and distinct from it.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:48 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
DC seems to identify more with itself and the south and the west as well in culture and vibe compared to Baltimore. Baltimore seems to identify more with the Northeast, even tho it is also very similar in dialects to DC.

My impression of DC is that it doesn't really vibe with the North. They're on their own thing: Boss of bosses I guess. It even just happens to be within the MD/VA area but separate and distinct from it.
I'm a DC native and we do not identify ourselves with the west..... Where'd you get that from?

Old 01-09-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I'm a DC native and we do not identify ourselves with the west..... Where'd you get that from?

First of all, I wrote my impression of DC, which is my opinion. Second, I really don't care who or what you identify with or if you have no identity at all, plus you don't speak for every person from DC anyway. Whatever tho, I know DC does not identify with people from the North but is so quick to claim how northeast and blah blah blah it is, so you tell us, Mr. big shot DC man.

DC is not that east coast to me. It's just an onery, beasty town that could be anywhere usa. I guess that's why it is called the belly of the beast, but it has good things and its bad things about it just like anywhere else.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
First of all, I wrote my impression of DC, which is my opinion. Second, I really don't care who or what you identify with or if you have no identity at all, plus you don't speak for every person from DC anyway. Whatever tho, I know DC does not identify with people from the North but is so quick to claim how northeast and blah blah blah it is, so you tell us, Mr. big shot DC man.

DC is not that east coast to me. It's just an onery, beasty town that could be anywhere usa. I guess that's why it is called the belly of the beast, but it has good things and its bad things about it just like anywhere else.
All I asked is how do you get the west coast feel? No I can't speak for everyone here but I grew up here so I know how DC people are and we don't identify ourselves with the west. We're on the east coast, it feels nothing like the west coast. It's not laid back, different demographics and weather. No one asked for you to be in your feelings over a simple question. Btw I'm not a man I'm a woman

I wasn't trying to be rude, literally just asked a simple question as to how do you get the west coast feel. Chill out.

Last edited by Deluusions; 01-09-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
All I asked is how do you get the west coast feel? Chill out.
^ I don't know; music maybe. DC doesn't mind southern rap and west coast rap but not as impressed with ny hip hop. Your town is just in the middle of nowhere that just so happens to be along I-95.

Anything North of DC are like places and people that DC people don't seem to like for some reason. That's just my impression tho.

Sorry for seeming mean to you tho, miss. I was just reacting to how you made me feel.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
^ I don't know; music maybe. DC doesn't mind southern rap and west coast rap but not as impressed with ny hip hop. Your town is just in the middle of nowhere that just so happens to be along I-95.

Anything North of DC are like places and people that DC people don't seem to like for some reason. That's just my impression tho.

Sorry for seeming mean to you tho, miss. I was just reacting to how you made me feel.
It's totally fine I'm not one to hold grudges haha sorry too

Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
It's totally fine I'm not one to hold grudges haha sorry too

Ok thanks. Have this imaginary flower, dear. Here...

Old 06-07-2023, 07:25 PM

2,816 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Baltimore is a city that is really hard to classify. It looks like a northeastern city with its row houses and heavy industrial heritage. It has a Little Italy, Greektown and Nancy Pelosi's father was the Mayor back in the day. It's an older, slower growing MSA. Geographically it's closely tied to the PA MSAs up 95 and 83. It's closer to Philly than Richmond. Aside from going back to the 1860s, it's frankly hard to say what distinguishes it from a northeastern city. The main difference from the north eastern cities is the large share of AAs and relatively smaller share of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.

Although, only slightly to the south. DC seems distinct enough to constitute a genuine transitional city. It's a quintessential Mid-Atlantic city, with elements of the north and the south. It's built more like a bigger Richmond with leafy rowhouse areas and little industrial heritage. There is no real white ethnic political or cultural scene or tradition. The city is plurality AA with an white minority and a relatively small share of Asians/Hispanics. The MSA has grow far faster than any major northern city. The suburbs are generally modern and can seem more like Atlanta or Raleigh Durham with lots of cul-de-sacs and town centers than Philly or Boston. It's highly educated and has a large foreign born population, but so increasingly does Atlanta and Raleigh. Now, I wouldn't say it's a southern city. It's too connected to the I-95 megalopolis to be truly southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.