Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 02:14 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It depends on who you ask. Many people I have asked in the real world from the Northeast (and Upper Midwest) refer to DC and Baltimore as “Down South.”
Naturally. DC is south of NY. I sometimes refer to SF as up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
When my oldest daughter went to college in NWPA she was constantly told about her "Southern accent". She grew up in Maryland.
Funny enough. I once asked this lady from Denver why wouldn't she move to Raleigh if her company was headquartered there. She said "that's still the south. But we have an office in DC." I responded "right up the road. Isn't that close to the south." Her answer "that's the nation's capital."

Old 06-09-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That would make Delaware "down south," not just a souther
state. Could you tell me what is "up north"? Baltimore or DC being different from a stereotypical southern doesn't make it less southern. Miami is a southern city isn't any less southern than Atlanta for example. The south is the only region of the country that isn't allowed to be diverse, while at the same time, having the largest array of cities in the country.
Delaware is the south now too?

Old 06-09-2023, 02:24 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
You're acting like 60% of the Delaware doesn't live geographically north of Baltimore inside the Philly MSA.... You're smart enough to see where I'm going with that.

Who said the south isn't diverse?

Miami (specifically) is vastly more Caribbean in feel, culture and look than stereotypical southern city, which is why it's never lumped in with the "south" for the same reason DC & Baltimore aren't in colloquial convo.

All three are geographically in the south by (population census definition) but are culturally aligned with different regions.

If the answer echo's "it depends on who you ask" then the "answer" isn't as concrete as one thinks.

Broski.. YOU just said the south isn't diverse. You just said that Delaware is the Philly MSA, now you're saying Miami is too Caribbean. Which makes no sense considering being carribean doesn't make northeastern cities less northeastern. Are rural town in the northeast less northerneastern since we think of big bustling cities when we think of the Northeast?

Old 06-09-2023, 02:27 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Funny enough. I once asked this lady from Denver why wouldn't she move to Raleigh if her company was headquartered there. She said "that's still the south. But we have an office in DC." I responded "right up the road. Isn't that close to the south." Her answer "that's the nation's capital."
That's just the very special DC Metro pretentiousness talking.

Old 06-09-2023, 02:40 PM

3,526 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Broski.. YOU just said the south isn't diverse. You just said that Delaware is the Philly MSA, now you're saying Miami is too Caribbean. Which makes no sense considering being carribean doesn't make northeastern cities less northeastern. Are rural town in the northeast less northerneastern since we think of big bustling cities when we think of the Northeast?
No. I said Baltimore, DC & Miami are culturally distinct from the south. That does not insinuate that south isn't diverse. You're just reaching right now.

Yes, there are towns in upper NY, Vermont & Maine that are indistinguishable from Nova Scotia and absolutely align themselves with Montreal despite being in US, let alone the east coast.

You're fixated on census designations which is fine, but there is a thing called cultural gradient.

Old 06-09-2023, 02:51 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
How does Baltimore, DC & Miami being subjectively culturally distinct from the south insinuate that south isn't diverse? Because it you're reaching right now.

Yes, there are towns in upper NY, Vermont & Maine that are indistinguishable from Nova Scotia and absolutely align themselves with Montreal despite being in US, let alone the east coast.

You're fixated on census designations which is fine, but there is a thing called cultural gradient.
Because those cities are not culturally different from the South for the simple fact that they are the south. Those cities represent southern culture. I'd like to know why that only applies to southern cities, though. I'd like to know if NYC became less northeastern when Puerto Ricans migrated there in large numbers back in the 40s & 50s. I get what you're about upper NYS and upper New England being indistinguishable with Nova Scotia, but nobody isn't saying that it isnt northeastern because of its Canadian influence. However, Miami is less southern because of the Caribbean being in close proximity to it. I get the cultrual gradient, but those are the cultures representative of the south.

Old 06-09-2023, 03:50 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Naturally. DC is south of NY. I sometimes refer to SF as up north.
Yah, but the phrase "Down South" is used as a way to denote MD and DC being in the South. People from NYC don't refer to Philly (or even greater PA) as being "Down South" even though it's south of NY.

Old 06-09-2023, 04:39 PM

3,526 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Because those cities are not culturally different from the South for the simple fact that they are the south. Those cities represent southern culture. I'd like to know why that only applies to southern cities, though. I'd like to know if NYC became less northeastern when Puerto Ricans migrated there in large numbers back in the 40s & 50s. I get what you're about upper NYS and upper New England being indistinguishable with Nova Scotia, but nobody isn't saying that it isnt northeastern because of its Canadian influence.
They are south by one metric... the US Census Bureau which is no more official than then the Bureau of Economic Analysis divides the US like this..

Or the Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey (CBECS) (run by the census bureau) which lumps NYC & Philadelphia as Mid-Atlantic.

Or climate zones

Quote:
However, Miami is less southern because of the Caribbean being in close proximity to it. I get the cultrual gradient, but those are the cultures representative of the south.
If Miami is "less southern" then by definition something else has to fill the void. Those cultures are representatives of hybridization of two regions, and taking that away from a city is a disservice. Being located in the geographic south but being culturally distinct are not mutually exclusive, and that goes for any region to be frank.

Last edited by Joakim3; 06-09-2023 at 05:24 PM..

Old 06-09-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's just the very special DC Metro pretentiousness talking.
Yes only we lived in Denver. Saying something is the capitol is just stating a fact. The fact that you think is pretentious is something you'll have to manage.

When this country divided in two, one city was the capitol of the union. Maryland joined the union. Doesn't matter if there were southern sympathizers there or they love seafood like Louisianans do. That was the split.

I'm not gonna use an imaginary line that "existed" when Ohio wasn't a state as the standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.