Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Globally, what's the 3rd most famous city from America?
Chicago 60 27.78%
DC 87 40.28%
Miami 35 16.20%
San Francisco 55 25.46%
Vegas 29 13.43%
Other 11 5.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 07:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Least Well Known Internationally IMO in order:

*Tulsa
*El Paso
*Memphis
*Jacksonville
*Cincinnati
*Indianapolis
*Raleigh
*Milwaukee
*Oklahoma City
*Charlotte
*Columbus
*San Antonio
*Cleveland
*Albuquerque
*Sacramento
*Nashville
*Baltimore

See this link that was posted on another thread:
http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...and_Cities.pdf
Nashville is well known as a music capital, especially for country music. It even had a famous movie named for it and a TV series perhaps in syndication globally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_(film)

Cleveland may be an exception on this list for several reasons:

1) It is widely associated with LeBron James and his championship season in his home region with the Cavaliers. The NBA is America's most popular sports league internationally. LeBron likely is the most famous internationally among active American athletes. Steph Curry, Kevin Durant or Tiger Woods likely is second most famous among active American athletes, but rivaled perhaps now by Kawhi Leonard.

NBA, LeBron James and global branding of basketball

2) The Cleveland Orchestra is world renown and tours annually and is well known in Europe, especially Austria, visited annually by the orchestra. The Orchestra's music director is Austrian-born and famed European conductor Franz Welser-Most. The orchestra has residencies in Vienna and Lucerne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Welser-M%C3%B6st

https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/p...und-the-world/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/a...egie-hall.html

3) The Cleveland Clinic is one of the most famed medical institutions in the world and has a clinic in Abu Dhabi and is opening a clinic in London in 2021.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/patients/international

4) Cleveland is the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which has an international presence with the annual induction ceremonies and an annex museum in Japan.

The San Antonio NBA franchise also is well known internationally, especially with Gregg Popovich, head coach of the U.S. national team, as its coach.

As the home of the Indianapolis 500, Indianapolis also has an international reputation, though likely not as much as in decades past with the declining popularity of the race.

Memphis as the home of Graceland and Elvis, likely also has an international reputation.

Last edited by WRnative; 03-02-2020 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-03-2020, 05:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I think that a lot of voters here are underestimating how well known Miami is internationally.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:10 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think that a lot of voters here are underestimating how well known Miami is internationally.
It depends. Over in Asia people have heard of Miami but really have no clue about it other than it's warm and has beaches. If Asians want to vacation at a beach resort in the U.S. they'd pick Hawaii over Miami because Hawaii's closer. Miami also has very few Asians for a city of its size. Europeans and Latin Americans are much more familiar with Miami.

OTOH, I think a lot of voters here are underestimating how well known San Diego is internationally. Europeans and Latin Americans may not be too familiar with San Diego, but San Diego is very well known and loved in Asia (China specifically). Asians being as education-oriented as they are, and UCSD being as highly ranked a school as it is, students from all over Asia apply to UCSD. Add to that the large Asian and Middle Eastern population in San Diego that has family in Asia and the Middle East, La Jolla, SeaWorld, and San Diego is actually famous in Asia.

In a nutshell: any big city with a highly ranked University is going to be very famous among Asians!

Old 03-03-2020, 06:11 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
This has been my exact experience as well. San Diego is surprisingly well-known considering it has to share the brain width of CA city knowledge with SF and LA. It's definitely one of the most well-known cities/regions relative to its size. Las Vegas might be another.
Oh yes, Vegas big time--EVERYONE in China KNOWS Las Vegas!!! Just look at all the Chinese tourists in Vegas!

Old 03-03-2020, 07:02 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Maybe..besides Latin America and Europe you can add The Caribbean, Canada, Russia, Turkey, and evidently The Middle East based on enough interest and demand to support direct nonstop flights between Israel, Dubai, and Qatar (add Northern Africa with nonstop service to Morocco). Heck, even the Miami Ultra Music Fest draws quite a few Asians. This is besides the obvious—MIA third most international passengers in the US after JFK and LAX; beaches/nightlife, cruise capital of the world, and other world popular events such as Art Basel (only US location, with Basel and Hong Kong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

Last edited by elchevere; 03-03-2020 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-03-2020, 07:07 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Everyone, everywhere (quite literally) knows about Miami. It is easily one of the most international cities in North America. And this is coming from someone who really doesn't like Miami all that much. I give credit where it's due, however.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:09 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Everyone, everywhere (quite literally) knows about Miami. It is easily one of the most international cities in North America. And this is coming from someone who really doesn't like Miami all that much. I give credit where it's due, however.
Yes, but important to note that almost all of that is focused around South America, the Caribbean, and parts of Europe. Once you get into Asia, Miami isn't nearly as well known. Nonetheless it's definitely a top 3-5 internationally recognized city in the U.S. for sure

Old 03-03-2020, 10:46 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Yes, but important to note that almost all of that is focused around South America, the Caribbean, and parts of Europe. Once you get into Asia, Miami isn't nearly as well known. Nonetheless it's definitely a top 3-5 internationally recognized city in the U.S. for sure
Right. And I agree, top 3-5.

Although I will say, Florida is weird in the sense that people seem to equate Orlando and Miami with the entire state. I have some old friends I grew up with in Canada that think I live in Disney, and that I am right next door to Miami, to the point of having been asked to meet for lunch when some would be visiting Miami area on my lunch break lol.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:51 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Right. And I agree, top 3-5.

Although I will say, Florida is weird in the sense that people seem to equate Orlando and Miami with the entire state. I have some old friends I grew up with in Canada that think I live in Disney, and that I am right next door to Miami, to the point of having been asked to meet for lunch when some would be visiting Miami area on my lunch break lol.
That's funny !

Old 03-04-2020, 10:44 PM

373 posts, read 252,386 times
In 2020 I'd say to this poll:
1.NYC (biggest city)
2. LA (Hollywood)
3. San Francisco (tech and appeal)
4. Chicago (home of skyscraper)
5. DC (country's Capitol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.