Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,357 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are looking for a place to re-locate on the east coast, but between the two of us we have a bunch of criteria that is making this difficult, and we really could use some help!

We are looking for a coastal beach town on the east coast, but.. we prefer to be north of S. Carolina and south of rhode island.. (so between NC and RI)

I work as a chef, so I'm hoping for a highly rated resort area with multiple restaurants, or at least town with an amazing restaurant scene.

We would like to live in a town that is near a city, or in a small city. Definitely looking for a beach (not city) atmosphere, but we would like easy road access to malls, businesses, Target/Walmart, decent medical facilities, maybe a community college, etc.

We are looking to rent a small house, and hoping for a relatively low cost of living.

Some sustainability and a focus on the "local land" are preferred.. and we both like hiking and some nature (other than the beach) to be easily accessible.

Please help us find our new home, we really appreciate it!
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Cape May NJ, Wilmington NC, Rehobath Beach, Delaware. All nice E Coast beach cities with strong tourism, which does disappear off-season. Housing is always a little cheaper away from prime business areas, but I think Cape May is the priciest of the three.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:00 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefShaun View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are looking for a place to re-locate on the east coast, but between the two of us we have a bunch of criteria that is making this difficult, and we really could use some help!

We are looking for a coastal beach town on the east coast, but.. we prefer to be north of S. Carolina and south of rhode island.. (so between NC and RI)

I work as a chef, so I'm hoping for a highly rated resort area with multiple restaurants, or at least town with an amazing restaurant scene.

We would like to live in a town that is near a city, or in a small city. Definitely looking for a beach (not city) atmosphere, but we would like easy road access to malls, businesses, Target/Walmart, decent medical facilities, maybe a community college, etc.

We are looking to rent a small house, and hoping for a relatively low cost of living.

Some sustainability and a focus on the "local land" are preferred.. and we both like hiking and some nature (other than the beach) to be easily accessible.

Please help us find our new home, we really appreciate it!
Cheers
The only areas within your geographic limit that would fit your criteria is the The Hamptons/Montauk area on Long Island which certainly would not be a "relatively low cost of living". I would urge you to push your limit further south to the Charleston area which is booming, as well as Hilton Head Island or Savannah.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps Virginia Beach or Ocean City MD could work as well.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Long Beach NY!!!!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:03 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Atlantic City has probably the biggest restaurant scene for the location and criteria you've set. I'd live in one of the smaller towns nearby to get the more beachy and quieter feel. Rehobeth, OCMD, VA Beach, Wilmington would work too.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
How about Atlantic City? There are lots of hotels with restaurants in them.

Oh and Ocean City Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.