Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 PM

92 posts, read 235,925 times

Advertisements

My favorite city names are:
Boston
San Francisco
Eau Claire, WI
Pittsburgh
Miami

Least Favorite:
Jacksonville
Montgomery
Toledo

I have no idea why but I just love to say those city names and hate the names of the three I mentioned. What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:48 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
Least Favorite:

New York City: for such a unique, important city, it doesn't seem fitting that it's named after some other city. The "New" makes it sound like it's trying to model someplace else. I guess you can argue that the "New" is telling of the city's history as a city founded by Europeans trying to start a "new" civilization. I also don't like how they tacked on "City". It's like, no duh, every place is a city.

Portland: it's "port" +"land". The founders really weren't trying to be creative here.

Favorite:

Los Angeles: effectively "The Angels". That's beautiful.

Seattle: name after Chief Si'ahl who was peaceful and friendly to the pioneers and who argued for ecological responsibility and respect of native Americans' land rights. The city name is in honor of the true first settlers. Pretty great.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
I grew up in Sugar Land, Tx. (Everyone thinks its next to Candy Land). I guess I am biased. They had street names that were fitting to. Streets such as Palm Royal, Bountiful Crest Lane, Pineleaf Drive...etc...

There's a town nearby my current state of NJ called "Mine Hill" which in my mind doesn't sound all that inviting. Kinda conjures up images of dark dirty scary mines with bats. Its also "a Hill" ("The Hills have eyes..."). Its an appropriate name though... At one point one of the richest mining areas for Iron which supplied all the major wars starting from the Revolutionary war to the conflicts in the 60s. A few of the mines are no homes to bats which the locals like to protect. Is it on a "Hill"? Not sure... probably.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 PM

133 posts, read 192,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Least Favorite:

New York City: for such a unique, important city, it doesn't seem fitting that it's named after some other city. The "New" makes it sound like it's trying to model someplace else. I guess you can argue that the "New" is telling of the city's history as a city founded by Europeans trying to start a "new" civilization. I also don't like how they tacked on "City". It's like, no duh, every place is a city.

Portland: it's "port" +"land". The founders really weren't trying to be creative here.

Favorite:

Los Angeles: effectively "The Angels". That's beautiful.

Seattle: name after Chief Si'ahl who was peaceful and friendly to the pioneers and who argued for ecological responsibility and respect of native Americans' land rights. The city name is in honor of the true first settlers. Pretty great.

Technically, it's not "New York City," it's the city of "New York." They tack on the word "City" to distinguish it from the state of New York

Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,300 times
Des Moines and Minneapolis both have a nice ring to them. I don't like Kansas City (Missouri) though because it geographically confuses me.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:25 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
My least favorite name for a city belongs to a small town in Michigan: Grand Blanc. If it were pronounced the way the French would say it, it would be a very pretty name. But the locals call it GRAND BLANK.

I think they have some self-esteem problems.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:39 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
I kind of like the names of cities/towns in the old west.

TOMBSTONE
DEADWOOD
TUCAMCARI ( " This train will stop at Tucamcari " )

I don't really have any names that I hate.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Worst city name ever: Phenix, Georgia

Old 07-05-2014, 10:28 PM

233 posts, read 374,309 times
I like Sioux Falls and Sioux City, Grand Rapids, Cedar Rapids, and Cedar Falls because they sound pretty and are easily confused. I love the name Milwaukee, and Cincinnati has a ring to it too. And best for last Sheboygan, WI and Cheboygan, MI!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:03 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
I like Sioux Falls and Sioux City, Grand Rapids, Cedar Rapids, and Cedar Falls because they sound pretty and are easily confused. I love the name Milwaukee, and Cincinnati has a ring to it too. And best for last Sheboygan, WI and Cheboygan, MI!

Those are some very cold upper Midwest towns on that list. Another interesting name from that part of the world, Mackinaw city MI. One of the most mispronounced places in the USA. Just to the north of there is another town, Sault Sainte Marie Michigan, and Sault Sainte Marie Ontario. Those French and Indian names of the upper Midwest can be a mouthful, and usually only people in MI, WI or MN can pronounce them, as they are the most unique place names in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.