Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:49 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Earlier tonight, 10:07 pm, July 17, 2014

San Francisco - 61 degrees, Dew Point - 56

Sacramento - 66 degrees, Dew Point - 56 - Cool ocean-fed winds, Fair and Clear

Seattle - 70 degrees, Dew Point - 55

Santa Monica (LA) - 70 degrees, Dew Point - 59

Phoenix - 95 degrees, feels like 90, Dew Point - 38 - 95 degrees at night is still very uncomfortable despite the low dew point.

Dew points above 60 are uncomfortable, 70 - Very uncomfortable

Dew points in the 50's are comfortable
It's actually common for it to still be in the triple digits at night in Phoenix. Sometimes I'll be out at 3 am and my car will say it's 102.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 PM

6,888 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
It's actually common for it to still be in the triple digits at night in Phoenix. Sometimes I'll be out at 3 am and my car will say it's 102.
I know could not tolerate that, it is always in the 50's or very low 60's in the morning in Sacramento in summer.

Do long term/native Phoenicians think the California coast is cold, like all year long?

They probably know how cool the Bay Area is in the summer?

But do they know Sacramento can be really cool and comfortable in the Summer despite being inland from the coast?

Old 07-19-2014, 01:23 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
I know could not tolerate that, it is always in the 50's or very low 60's in the morning in Sacramento in summer.

Do long term/native Phoenicians think the California coast is cold, like all year long?

They probably know how cool the Bay Area is in the summer?

But do they know Sacramento can be really cool and comfortable in the Summer despite being inland from the coast?
I would say most do. Most of my friends think SoCal is perfect during the day, and a little chilly at night. That would probably mean the upper half of California is cold to them all-year. SoCal winter is a little cold for them too.

I've never been to northern California but I've heard that the Bay Area doesn't have a true "summer" (from other Phoenicians, anyway). That probably has something to do with the fog or relatively "low" temperatures. To me, that sounds great. I would assume with the Bay not being too far away they would think Sacramento was cooler. If anything, they'd assume Sacramento was a little hotter, a little drier...

I personally think the Bay Area has the best weather in California. Most Arizonans, in contrast, would say LA or San Diego has the best weather in California.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:39 AM

West Coast, 2:00 am at (late night) July 19, 2014

Sacramento - 63 temp, dew point 54
Portland - 63 temp, dew point 57
Seattle - 63 temp, dew point 55

Phoenix - 92 temp, dew point 41
Las Vegas - 88 temp, dew point 33
Tucson - 81 temp, dew point 54

Dew points very comfortable, except its too Hot in the desert southwest, imho.

Notice how cool Sacramento is, same temp as Portland and Seattle; this is something most west coasters usually don't know.

Usually, when you have cooler temps in the low 60's at night across much of the USA; it comes with rain and/or thunderstorms. On the west coast as in Sacramento those cool nights always come with a clear fair sky, an occasional cloud or two from the ocean.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-19-2014 at 03:51 AM..

Old 07-19-2014, 05:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Notice how cool Sacramento is, same temp as Portland and Seattle; this is something most west coasters usually don't know.

Usually, when you have cooler temps in the low 60's at night across much of the USA; it comes with rain and/or thunderstorms. On the west coast as in Sacramento those cool nights always come with a clear fair sky, an occasional cloud or two from the ocean.
Of course, Sacramento is hotter in the day than the other two west coast cities.

No, the same is true here. Warmer nights tend to be cloudy, cooler night to have a clear fair sky. Cooler summer days are often associated with rain but not nights. 2 am here in [station Chicopee, MA]: Temperature 58°F, Dewpoint 57°F. It has been a bit cooler and drier than average but not unusually so. Yesterday at the same time had a temperature of 63°F Dewpoint of 55°F, day before 62°F with a dew point of 60°F.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:42 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Good observation. San Franciscans have absolutely the most delicate of tolerance levels. It's Basically always 60 degrees in SF with very comfortable dew points, constant clean ocean winds, chance of full sun at least part of the day, little chance of rain unless it's in the winter.

SF - Average temps 50-70 throughout the year, rarely rarely deviates from this.

Temps above 72 coupled with no breeze despite a comfortable dew point of 55 make people sweat.

A/C is virtually non-existent in peoples homes, and screens on windows don't exist, No bugs, none what so ever.

Yawn....sounds great.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

No, the same is true here. Warmer nights tend to be cloudy, cooler night to have a clear fair sky. Cooler summer days are often associated with rain but not nights. 2 am here in [station Chicopee, MA]: Temperature 58°F, Dewpoint 57°F. It has been a bit cooler and drier than average but not unusually so. Yesterday at the same time had a temperature of 63°F Dewpoint of 55°F, day before 62°F with a dew point of 60°F.
I agree with what you say and no doubt the temp is the temp in Chicopee, But your response is not speaking to what I said completely.

I said, "Usually, when you have cooler temps in the low 60's at night across much of the USA; it comes with rain and/or thunderstorms."

Key is rain or thunderstorms, which more often than not actually cools things down a bit at night. If it remains simply cloudy at night yes the night likely will be warmer than if were clear and fair.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:01 AM

Yes, most know that, what they don't know is this:

For 12 hours from midnight to noon, the temps in Sacramento, Portland and Seattle in the Summer are very close in temp and dew point, cooler and comfortable.

It matters because although it may have reached into the 80's or 90's in Sacramento on a particular day coupled with a dew point in the mid 50's. It also will cool substantially in the late afternoon, evening, night and ALL morning long in the summer.

Morning to Afternoon (6am to 1pm) - July 17 - This is typical throughout the summer

Sacramento - 60-75 degrees

Seattle 60-71 degrees

Portland 58-70 degrees

Dew Points for all 3 cities in the mid to low 50's.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
I agree with what you say and no doubt the temp is the temp in Chicopee, But your response is not speaking to what I said completely.

I said, "Usually, when you have cooler temps in the low 60's at night across much of the USA; it comes with rain and/or thunderstorms."

Key is rain or thunderstorms, which more often than not actually cools things down a bit at night. If it remains simply cloudy at night yes the night likely will be warmer than if were clear and fair.
Well my average July low (usually around sunrise) is 59°F, so for me low 60s at night is about normal. Thunderstorms are usually accompanied by high dew points, after a thunderstorm it will cool to the dew (rather high) dew point and stay there. So you it might be in the upper 60s the whole night, or warmer. Of course, our average low is cool for eastern US standards compared to further south.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:10 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
It usually doesn't feel as humid as the East. When it does, the weather is not as hot. Out East on a humid day you have 90F. Out on a beach in LA on a humid day, it will only be 77F. So it does not feel unbearable. A hot 90F tends to be a desert-dry heat. A cooler (but warm) 75F will typically be in spring when it does not feel so humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.