Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 03:14 PM

10,123 posts, read 10,028,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxNcode View Post
i agree with this sentiment the most.. my only disagreement is that there are parts of FAR south jersey that are as far south as Washington DC and Northern VA.. that part of Jersey even feels down south to me

this is why i always felt that Jersey has 4 diff parts.. North Jersey, Central Jersey, South Jersey, and FAR South Jersey.. that last one shouldn't even be part of the Northeast
Far south jersey is still Jersey. And still in the Philly CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 03:16 PM

12,236 posts, read 8,145,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Northeast U.S = PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME

With sub divisions of
North Mid-Atlantic = PA, NY, NJ
New England= CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME

This is fundamental, hardly complex.
Boom. Nailed it.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:23 PM

71 posts, read 36,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Far south jersey is still Jersey. And still in the Philly CSA.
and i've always felt some type of way about that, being from Hudson County, NJ (which is not only tri-state NY area, but many people, esp people from out of town, think our county is part of NYC due to proximity and the urban nature of the entire county)..

most of Jersey is either comfortably in the NY area or in the Philly area, including accents and weather and whatnot.. HOWEVER that far southern NJ area (like Cape May) is as far south as Alexandria, VA.. and i've always noticed a little southern twang down there.. would make sense if that was its own freakin state

Old 08-26-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
and i've always felt some type of way about that, being from Hudson County, NJ (which is not only tri-state NY area, but many people, esp people from out of town, think our county is part of NYC due to proximity and the urban nature of the entire county)..

most of Jersey is either comfortably in the NY area or in the Philly area, including accents and weather and whatnot.. HOWEVER that far southern NJ area (like Cape May) is as far south as Alexandria, VA.. and i've always noticed a little southern twang down there.. would make sense if that was its own freakin state
I mean Cape May and Vineland and that whole area south of Philadelphia and ACY are South Jersey and have more in common with Ocean County and Middlesex County than they do with like NOVA.

Although Vineland area definitely DOES feel southern. I do here a lil bit of a twang.. very subtle but I do. Its not a Joisey like in NNJ or even CNJ .. or that Philly accent in Burlington Or Gloucester County. Its its own thing.

But the same could be said about NYS which is like 5 states in one.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:

most of Jersey is either comfortably in the NY area or in the Philly area, including accents and weather and whatnot.. that far southern NJ area (like Cape May) is as far south as Alexandria, VA.. and i've always noticed a little southern twang down there.. would make sense if that was its own freakin state
That area of Jersey may be country, and may even look southern (loblolly pine trees, a few confederate flags, largely rural) but it's still northeastern. Parts of the south may look northeastern (rowhouses, structurally dense..etc) but it doesn't make those places any less southern. Ironically, particularly with Baltimore and DC, when the density was its highest, the cities were questionably southern.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That area of Jersey may be country, and may even look southern (loblolly pine trees, a few confederate flags, largely rural) but it's still northeastern. Parts of the south may look northeastern (rowhouses, structurally dense..etc) but it doesn't make those places any less southern.
Bingo

Old 08-26-2021, 03:41 PM

71 posts, read 36,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Bingo
when you are geographically as far south as VA, and the type of tree around there is native to the Southeastern US (according to wikipedia), then it's pretty southern as far as i'm concerned..

Old 08-26-2021, 03:44 PM

21,804 posts, read 12,973,901 times
Quote:
here's my opinion...

Purely Northeast: all of New England and NYS.. along with parts of other states in the metro area.. so this would include MA, NH, VT, CT, RI, NY, and the northern half of NJ.. also the northern half of PA

Northeast but also Mid-Atlantic: basically the entire Philly area.. the part of south jersey close to philly, PA.. and the parts of DE and MD that are close to Philly.. i consider Philly as the most southern Northeastern City..

Southern Mid-Atlantic: most of MD and the DMV region.. also FAR south jersey can count in there as well (yup i said it)

The REAL south starts in VA as soon as u leave the DMV..

(all coming from someone who's lived in North Jersey and Boston.. and went to college by Albany, NY)
I agree with this a lot. Northern Half of NJ is quintessential Northeast as is all of NY.

Philly is the southernmost northeastern city. It's not southern at all.

Baltimore is transitional tbh. It's pretty northeastern but not "the northeast" albeit many people in Bmore think they are in the north.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
when you are geographically as far south as VA, and the type of tree around there is native to the Southeastern US (according to wikipedia), then it's pretty southern as far as i'm concerned..
It's just means that those trees are native to NJ too, as well as the south. Trees don't care about political boundaries. They grow where the soil and weather is ideal.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I agree with this a lot. Northern Half of NJ is quintessential Northeast as is all of NY.

Philly is the southernmost northeastern city. It's not southern at all.

Baltimore is transitional tbh. It's pretty northeastern but not "the northeast" albeit many people in Bmore think they are in the north.
Most people in Baltimore don't know anything about geography/ population. Ask someone in Baltimore which city is bigger between Baltimore City and Charleston, SC and I guarantee you that they will say Charleston. They're reason will be something silly like "I can get from over east to over west in 15 minutes," "or everybody knows everybody here." They assume everywhere is bigger than Baltimore. Of course they think Baltimore is the north because they are ignorant to geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.