Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times

Advertisements

ANY city in the Midwest is better for jobs right now than Chicago, it seems (except maybe Detroit). I would have suggested Minneapolis, and it's a popular place for many Chicagoans to trek next, but you stated you didn't want harsher winters.

How about St. Louis, Indy, Columbus, Cincy or Cleveland? Or if you're willing to go smaller, Grand Rapids, Des Moines or Madison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM

92 posts, read 235,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
ANY city in the Midwest is better for jobs right now than Chicago, it seems (except maybe Detroit). I would have suggested Minneapolis, and it's a popular place for many Chicagoans to trek next, but you stated you didn't want harsher winters.

How about St. Louis, Indy, Columbus, Cincy or Cleveland? Or if you're willing to go smaller, Grand Rapids, Des Moines or Madison?
This is exactly what I was hoping for with my post. I was considering returning to SLC or San Diego but with recent events that have set me back further I feel going to a regional state may be less stressful and allow me to get out quicker.

I used to love the city of Chicago, but having been away for several years and seeing a better quality of life the things that are wrong with it according to how I want to live stand out for me more so than what I appreciate about it. Columbus and Madison sound great, and I loved visiting them. And I'm totally willing to go smaller. In fact, as I age that is my ideal. Thanks for your post!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Chicago can be very competitive for certain fields, such as accounting. For a metropolitan area of its size, it lacks in accounting jobs.
?? Accountants? It's normally ranked as the second largest financial hub of the country, and I've never seen it anywhere but in the top 5 of accounting cities. It has almost 100,000 accounting positions, the second largest number in the country and one of the highest as an overall % as well.

There are plenty of areas where the city lacks job roles in relation to population, but saying Chicago lacks accounting jobs is like saying LA lacks actors or Boston lacks professors It's basically one of the strongest fields in the entire city.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 PM

421 posts, read 556,465 times
Houston has a booming healthcare community (largest med center in the country and still growing) ample jobs and a very Low cost of living. Summers are hot as hell, but everywhere has air conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.