Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:32 PM

136 posts, read 328,240 times

Advertisements

Do these two things exist together?

Are there any communities out there, of any size, that have affordable houses, low taxes, a good quality of life (safe, clean, etc.), AND wonderful schools? By wonderful schools, I mean schools where parents are involved (they go to parent-teacher conferences, they volunteer, etc.), teachers care about their students, the administration works for the betterment of all students' educations, there are many quality extracurricular activities for students (not just football, but arts, other sports, clubs, etc.), there is a very high graduation rate (at least 90%), and most of the graduating seniors (at least 90%) go on to some form of higher education?

Does anyone here live in such a place (or heard of one)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM

93,839 posts, read 124,582,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family of five View Post

Are there any communities out there, of any size, that have affordable houses, low taxes, a good quality of life (safe, clean, etc.), AND wonderful schools? By wonderful schools, I mean schools where parents are involved (they go to parent-teacher conferences, they volunteer, etc.), teachers care about their students, the administration works for the betterment of all students' educations, there are many quality extracurricular activities for students (not just football, but arts, other sports, clubs, etc.), there is a very high graduation rate (at least 90%), and most of the graduating seniors (at least 90%) go on to some form of higher education?

Except for the taxes, that describes the school district I grew up in. Even with the taxes, it may vary depending on the location within the the district and the exemptions a household may qualify for. I will say that the only so-so aspect in terms of education may be in terms of Special Ed, but that is it.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,115,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family of five View Post

Chapel Hill/Carrboro, NC (same school district) fits that criteria. It has excellent public schools, involved parents largely, great teachers/administrators largely as well, a graduation rate of 89% along with 92% as college bound, generally very safe/clean neighborhoods, affordable housing given the desirability (over 80 three bedroom homes/2 bath homes in the 230K-300K bracket currently) and property taxes are decent in both Carrboro and Chapel Hill homes not within the city limits (decent number to choose from) where it averages around $3000-$3500 a year. Bear in mind higher taxes are generally what equates to better schools since states are cutting dollars from public education as fast as they can, and public schools aren't self-sufficient.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - About

Old 07-23-2014, 06:37 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,080,045 times
In terms of general regions of the country, your neck of the woods (MN, WI, and IA) is generally the area with the highest school achievement overall, although I'm sure there's still a fair amount of variation therein. Still, all of these are low-cost states as well. Thus I don't see any particular reason you should look around for a community far afield.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,542,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In terms of general regions of the country, your neck of the woods (MN, WI, and IA) is generally the area with the highest school achievement overall, although I'm sure there's still a fair amount of variation therein. Still, all of these are low-cost states as well. Thus I don't see any particular reason you should look around for a community far afield.
Agreed. The affordable/good-education ratio gets worse the further away from home the family of five gets.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,138,183 times
College towns with large public universities often have great school districts. Fayetteville, Arkansas is one. Great town, great schools, engaged community.

Its affordable here, and lots of graduates with degrees choose to stay here, so the teaching positions are very competitive.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:19 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,876,085 times
There's always a tradeoff somewhere.
Generally, like has been mentioned, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa are the best bets, with a few surrounding states being good options.
Anywhere else will be expensive and/or in a bubble it seems.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
There's always a tradeoff somewhere.
Generally, like has been mentioned, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa are the best bets, with a few surrounding states being good options.
Anywhere else will be expensive and/or in a bubble it seems.
I think that you could find something in the Interior Northeast as well, but I don't know if there will be anything perfect anywhere in terms of the criteria.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:19 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,508,778 times
Any affordable community that has alternatives to government indoctrination centers (public schools) should fit the bill...

Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Any affordable community that has alternatives to government indoctrination centers (public schools) should fit the bill...
? Anyway, many of these areas will or may have private and charter options as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.