Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,117,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Frankly, I do not believe I'm in a minority. I know very few men or women for that matter that openly proclaim homosexuality to be moral. I know polls and whatnot would say I'm wrong (last I checked it was about 54% in favor of gay marriage), but I really don't trust the accuracy of these polls. Support for gay marriage is not synonymous for acceptance of the lifestyle. One might accept the use of marijuana as a choice, but be completely opposed to actually consuming it.

Furthermore, because of the political correctness nature that has stigmatized gay marriage in recent years, I think there a lot of people that 'publicly' would say they support it but fewer who actually do. Speaking for my own personal life, I grew up and live currently in Southeastern Wisconsin -- a swing state. Whenever I hear gay marriage brought up here, even among my age group (20's), most are opposed to it.
It must suck living in a society that is leaving you behind. I can certainly understand the desire to deny it's happening at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Again with the mockery. Guess that's how liberals have been taught to argue rather than having respectful disagreements. Notice I have not laughed at you or belittled your position once throughout this debate.

The contract remains the same, but marriage is not about a contract. It's not about benefits. It's about a spiritual bond between a male and a female, one intended to be special and set apart from anything else. One in which man and woman become one flesh. The beauty of marriage is not it's 'benefits'...the thought of such never crossed my mind when I proposed to my girlfriend. I didn't say, 'gee, I want to get married so I can obtain all those benefits!'. No. I wanted to express my love to her and spend the rest of my life with her as one. It is a unique and spiritual bonding. Not a contract.
You just said gay people were only that way because they were mentally defected, that their relationships run contrary to all moral positions and run contrary to evolutionary science (which I suspect you don't actually know anything about) and yet you're stepping up on a soapbox and proclaiming that you're being disrespected? You can't have it both ways. You respect others or you don't, and you will get the exact same thing in return.

The fact that you really don't get that gay couples also want to marry because it's an expression of love beyond whatever government benefits are provided (of which you take advantage of yourself), just shows what kind of person you are.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, this is the dumbest comment I've ever seen. Okay, marriage predates the death of Christ on the cross. Because that was the founding of Christianity. However, God was very much present prior to the death of Christ. That's what the old testament was. The Jews were following the same God at the time.
Marriage isn't a Christian concept. You don't have to be Christian to be married, nor does the ceremony have to take place in a church of any kind.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:06 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,218,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Marriage isn't a Christian concept. You don't have to be Christian to be married, nor does the ceremony have to take place in a church of any kind.
Great reminder! I have noticed some people on this city data forum forget that in a few other threads, too.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:31 PM

13,705 posts, read 21,976,986 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you find so objectionable. This is clearly an important issue to a lot of people, and the only way to actually change the laws, not to mention the cultural views of it, is to keep raising the issue. You act as if a Supreme Court decision would just happen out of thin air. They don't accept cases that nobody brings up.
Well the thing is, eventually they WILL hear a case that somebody brings up, and they'll rule gay marriage bans unconstitutional. Whether that means a blanket legalization of gay marriage nationwide, who knows?

Your belief system is not my belief system. Your life experience is not my life experience. Your idea of homosexuality, spirituality, ethics, morals and "marriage" are not the same as mine.

I don't know whether you are gay or not. I am. That means I am sexually attracted to, and prefer having sex with, other men. It does not automatically make me part of some large political or social community. It does not define who I am. It is simply one small part of who I am as a person.

I am also old enough, experienced enough and knowledgable enough to know that to the vast majority of homosexuals, gay "marriage" is NOT about legal recognition of their love and commitment, but rather a desire to have the same financial, institutional and legal "breaks" that straight married couples do. In my lifetime, closing in on 50 years, I can count on less than one hand the number of committed, monogamous gay male couples I have known who would seriously commit themselves to a legal government document designating them as a "married" couple. Sadly, most gay men are sexual dogs ... Indeed, it pretty much defines what "gay" is.

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-01-2014 at 10:55 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 07:15 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well the thing is, eventually they WILL hear a case that
somebody brings up, and they'll rule gay marriage bans unconstitutional. Whether
that means a blanket legalization of gay marriage nationwide, who knows?
But you're saying everyone should shut up about it, so why would it ever reach the SC under those circumstances?

Quote:
Your belief system is not my belief system. Your life experience is not my
life experience. Your idea of homosexuality, spirituality, ethics, morals and
"marriage" are not the same as mine.
That's interesting given that I've never told you any of those things about myself. How do you know, and specifically, what is different?

Quote:
I don't know whether you are gay or not. I am. That means I am sexually
attracted to, and prefer having sex with, other men. It does not automatically
make me part of some large political or social community. It does not define who
I am. It is simply one small part of who I am as a person.
I never said otherwise, but I kind of assume that all people want to be treated equally and have the same opportunities. You do want that, right? This is not about being defined by being gay and it's very strange to say that the strive for equality must mean that you have to define yourself exclusively within the confines of your sexuality. That's just not true at all.

Quote:
I am also old enough, experienced enough and knowledgable enough to know that
to the vast majority of homosexuals, gay "marriage" is NOT about legal
recognition of their love and commitment, but rather a desire to have the
same financial, institutional and legal "breaks" that straight married
couples do.
First, that's an extremely jaded and bitter view to take. It would come as a surprise to many to find out that their desire to be married, or their marriages themselves if they've been able to do so, are nothing but loveless shams according to you. Second, even if that was solely the motivation, we're still talking about federal benefits in a secular institution. Entering into the same contract via the government requires that they are able to receive those same benefits. Where, exactly, is your criticism of heterosexual couples that take advantage of those benefits?

Quote:
In my lifetime, closing in on 50 years, I can count on less than one
hand the number of committed, monogamous gay male couples I have known who
would seriously commit themselves to a legal government document designating
them as a "married" couple. Sadly, most gay men are sexual dogs ... Indeed,
it pretty much defines what "gay" is.
Because heterosexuality is a bastion of fidelity and long-lasting marriage? Even if only one gay couple in the history of mankind was faithful to each other, they still deserve to be treated equally under the law. Even if they're not committed, it's not illegal to cheat on each other. Honestly, you sound like a classic, self-hating gay person, which in my own experience seems to be a pretty common phenomenon with the baby boomers and older. I'm grateful that younger generations do not see themselves as hopeless shells incapable of love and commitment, but even if they did, even miserable people deserve a measure of respect.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Because heterosexuality is a bastion of fidelity and long-lasting marriage? Even if only one gay couple in the history of mankind was faithful to each other, they still deserve to be treated equally under the law. Even if they're not committed, it's not illegal to cheat on each other. Honestly, you sound like a classic, self-hating gay person, which in my own experience seems to be a pretty common phenomenon with the baby boomers and older. I'm grateful that younger generations do not see themselves as hopeless shells incapable of love and commitment, but even if they did, even miserable people deserve a measure of respect.
Perhaps this will help you understand where I'm coming from:

I’m Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage | Public Discourse

http://nogaymarriage.wordpress.com/

http://goodmenproject.com/featured-c...dam-and-steve/

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-02-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
So your examples are from people who were/are clearly not okay with being gay. It's pretty much exactly what I thought. Look, it's fineif you want to live your life a certain way. It's fine if you're not into marriage. But this is really just you projecting your own insecurities about being gay onto everyone else. It is no surprise that you haven't met too many committed or well-adjusted gay people. That wouldn't reinforce your negative view. If you can't be happy as a gay person, no one else can either. Honestly, reading those links is simply a depressing reminder of how terrible things used to be for gays. Bottom line is that if you can't love yourself, you are always going to be disappointed in others
Luckily, it's not too late.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
So your examples are from people who were/are clearly not okay with being gay. It's pretty much exactly what I thought. Look, it's fineif you want to live your life a certain way. It's fine if you're not into marriage. But this is really just you projecting your own insecurities about being gay onto everyone else. It is no surprise that you haven't met too many committed or well-adjusted gay people. That wouldn't reinforce your negative view. If you can't be happy as a gay person, no one else can either. Honestly, reading those links is simply a depressing reminder of how terrible things used to be for gays. Bottom line is that if you can't love yourself, you are always going to be disappointed in others
Luckily, it's not too late.
Oh please, Mary ... give it a rest. But thanks for trying to psycho analyze me!

As I said before, you know nothing about me or my life experience. All people are different, including all gay people. Trying to paint us all with the same broad brush -- especially a "straight" one -- is pointless and futile.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:57 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,379,572 times
Quote:
Oh please, Mary ... give it a rest. But thanks for trying to psycho analyze me!

As I said before, you know nothing about me or my life experience. All people are different, including all gay people. Trying to paint us all with the same broad brush is pointless and futile.

LOL and AMEN. Newsboy you're the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.