Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 08:08 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times

Advertisements

Wisteria

It actually is not that difficult to do.

First it is best to actually know what you really want. Or the inverse exactly what you don't want. Very few places are perfect it is all a game of tradeoffs.

I have been in all 50 states and lived in a bunch of them, been all over the World. Came down to Boston had been home base for 34 years. I had a good career as an engineer there and later as a contractor who owned a nice business, was happy for the first twenty years or so. Big housing boom, had a lot of equity in a house I fully owned. Boston and all that became a zoo, I came to hate. Negatives coming out your ears, time to get out. I basically planned it out based on when the house prices would peak. Escape time.

For once in your life what do you really want, no restrictions. About a ten years process as I seriously thought about it and researched it based on a set of criterion.

First I eliminated a lot of places based on no natural disasters or weather extremes. Eliminated a lot of others based on crime, living costs, taxes, government trying to regulate your life. I got it down to a pocket of states, like 10 of so.

Whittled that down to 5 prime locations in only 3 states. Ohio came the primary focus after a while. I was born and raised here, have relatives here, lived in a number of locations in the state before going out to see the World. Is a varied state with many choices, moderate in hassles and regulations, can be extremely safe, can be one of the lowest cost of living areas without being totally way out in the boonies. Ohio has many advantages as another home base to establish a residence but be able to leave and not have to spend the entire year in one location.

I was totally done with any big cities and all their problems. Something more rural but close enough to be connected to the Big World if desired. Places like Adams, Athens or Monroe Counties Ohio. Well placed to have the goodies in easy reach, good locations to get somewhere else in reasonable time. Very moderate four seasons. Can be extremely cheap real estate by a national standard. Eventually I picked Monroe County, bought a 24K fixer just to have a place to move too. The interest on the money from the sale of the shack in Boston has already fully paid me back the purchase price. In a few months should have it pretty well totally rehab'd. Basically got what I intended originally. The good planning paid off.

At some point I may move again to something a little more fancy, build my own home from scratch, lots of options. Maybe even a small baby farm. Open to many possible choices but most would probably remain in Ohio. Lot of people move to Monroe from the more Northern counties in Ohio to retire because of the least hassles, lower costs, better weather. They can make it work because the difference in real estate is substantial even within Ohio. A way to cash out the house again.

The entire region of western PA, some of WV, most of southern Ohio can be prime hunting grounds if you want a safer, less conjested, lower cost, saner lifestyle which has most of the basics needed. PA tends to have a lot more regulations like CA, WV can be a bit tricky too in attempting to run your life. One nice area just over the line in Ohio from Pittsburgh is Columbiana County. Lots of inflow of people from PA, my sister lives there, tries to get me to move to the area. It varies a lot county by county in Ohio as to the Rules and Regs, taxes, costs, etc. I like visiting there, probably won't move anytime in the near future, a lot more costly, weather not as good.

I have come to the conclusion no one place will meet every need, so want the option to travel a lot more. Recently got a new car, very nice economical, can do 40 MPH, no more flying for me. Will probably spend a couple of months in Florida most winters. About to depart on that adventure soon for this year.

To me it is all about having a zillion options for the rest of my life. Also way to many of them "Hot Spots" that everybody wants to run to is a repeat of the same game over and over. If too many people want Paradise, pretty soon it ain't Heaven any more.

If there is any secret to the process, know exactly what you want or what will make you happy. Very easy to buy into an illusion, grass can be greener but you must be realistic. Also takes a while to settle into a new lifestyle / place, the entire reason you are leaving the last place is not to replace it with something similar.

I'm pretty happy how it all worked out for me. If I had to do it over, would have to do the same choices for all the same set of reasonings. You do need a selection process that makes sense and you understand the lil why's involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 03:36 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Thanks, Cosmic. Yes, I have been doing the "list" and "checking it twice," and all of that.

Fortunately, I, too, have lived in many places, and have traveled widely, so I've been narrowing it down. I'm actually in a very rural area now, and am looking for a bit more urban atmosphere -- although not a large city, anymore.

You're right about "hot spots," because I actually traveled "the circuit" of moving to the "hot" places a lot. Born and raised in Buffalo, then moved to Phoenix for a job; then Boulder, Colorado; San Francisco; Seattle, Washington, and now in the Santa Cruz, CA area. I am more inclined, after going over property taxes, housing costs, weather, etc., toward going back to Colorado. I'm not that close to my family back east, so staying where at least I am used to the good weather, mountains, and laid-back style is good. I guess once I sell my house I'll have a better idea of how it will play out.

Like you, I do extensive research, talk to people, try to narrow it down to what are the pros and cons -- you're right -- not one place is perfect. But some are definitely better than others.

I'm glad you found your niche. I think in some ways that Ohio is a hidden gem -- people just don't think about it that much, but I remember being there and it had wonderful old architecture, and lots of space. But I've grown used to a lot of sunshine, low humidity, no snow (Colorado's snow melts so fast that to a former Buffalonian, it seems like no snow), mountains (love those mountains), and slower lifestyle really appeal to me. So, that's kind of where I'm focusing my energies now, however, I am always open to new ideas because one just never knows when things can suddenly change, and for the better.

Thanks again!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 PM

29 posts, read 220,028 times
Default Carbondale, IL

Hi. I'm a boomer born and raised in Bradford, PA,(went to Buffalo to shop for school clothes and Christmas), school in Pittsburgh, lived in Houston 24 years and two years ago moved outside of Carbondale, Illinois. Four seasons, but snow when it comes doesn't stick long. Can get hot in the summer, but that doesn't last long either. College town (big arts program). Affordable (especially housing). Beautiful countryside (not prairie, not Chicago...we are in the foothills of the Ozarks with lots of lakes and forest) Basic big box shopping, enough to make life convenient. Small town atmosphere, but sufficient urban amenities to make life interesting. Best of all worlds, as I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.