Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your least favorite English-language accents?
General American (midwestern) 13 3.83%
California "non-accent" 25 7.37%
Texas 18 5.31%
General U.S. Southern 84 24.78%
New York/ New Jersey 101 29.79%
Boston 33 9.73%
Minnesotan 31 9.14%
Canadian 6 1.77%
General British 14 4.13%
Australian 14 4.13%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:28 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,634 times

Advertisements

I can imagine what you mean. Could you please give an example of the latter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Poorly educated Southerners are particularly awful to hear, while a cultured, aristocratic Southerner is a thing of beauty to hear. Especially their women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 02:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I can imagine what you mean. Could you please give an example of the latter?
It's hard to describe. It's a very soft language with almost no sharp edges to it, which is why Southerners are so repelled by harsh, discordant Northern and Midwest accents. Southern accents, like Southern manners, tend to be diffident in nature. What's more, I've found that Southerners (particularly upper class types) have more of a reverence for the language, often using more colorful word choice than your average American. I used to think they were a bunch of rubes. Now I realize how beautiful their approach to the language really is.

That's why Southerners tend to be born writers, much like the Irish. If you read Eudora Welty, Flannery O'Connor, Rick Bragg, or a whole host of others from the midSouth, you come to realize how special their affinity for the language truly is.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I've never heard a Mexican person with a southern accent.
Well, I know loads of Mexican guys with south-side Chicago accents. Hell, that describes the father of at least 3 of my childhood friends.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:04 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Ebonics and Spanglish are not a disgrace to the English language. So many Americans speak improper English that it is ridiculous to pick on two groups.
True, but those are the two worst examples IMO

Old 12-28-2007, 03:07 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
True, but those are the two worst examples IMO
Sir, you would be surprised how many words you use on the regular are derived from Ebonics. You're on the borders of being disrespectful.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I get annoyed by the southern accent and words like ya'alls and youse alls drive me batty. I took that quiz that was mentioned above and even though I've lived in MA all my life I came out with having a WESTERN accent! (not all people from MA talk with the Boston accent, but I have only been out west once so I don't know how I got a Western accent.) This discussion is fun and interesting.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I get annoyed by the southern accent and words like ya'alls and youse alls drive me batty. I took that quiz that was mentioned above and even though I've lived in MA all my life I came out with having a WESTERN accent! (not all people from MA talk with the Boston accent, but I have only been out west once so I don't know how I got a Western accent.) This discussion is fun and interesting.
Actually, "y'all" is a nice invention by Southerners, a far less awkward way to express Second Person Plural. Southerners only use "y'all" to speak to a group, and is much more elegant than "You all" or "You guys." I've found it creeping into my own conversations. It's kind of funny.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
For instance, I've never heard a Mexican person with a southern accent.
I have. I once had a patient who learned English in Dallas and had a very southern hispanic accent. I liked it.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:07 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Never been a big fan of the Southern accent. Don't know why, it's just not very pleasing to my ears.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:33 PM

18 posts, read 81,272 times
Default High school visit to England

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoastBrit View Post
If your talking British accents then Birmingham, England. They don't say " cup of tea ", they say "kipper tie".
I went into a small souvenir shop in Cambridge and the owner was on a ladder and yelled (Rebecker, Rebecker, we have a customer) to get her assistant to come out of the back room and help me. I said, "I'm looking for a small ceramic owl. My mother collects them from all over the world." The owner climbed down the ladder and said, "You must be from America with that accent." As any mischievous 17 year old would do, I said, "I don't have an accent, but you certainly do, unless her name is spelled R-E-B-E-C-K-E-R." She didn't think I was funny and just rang up my purchase and didn't say anything after that. In general, I think most of the American (newscaster, movie) pronunciation is closer to the actual spelling of words than the British English pronunciation. What do you folks in the old country think about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.