Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 03:08 PM

305 posts, read 417,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I really don't have a problem with more people moving here, it's helping the local economy.
From a guy in the Seattle forum.
I thought more people meant more jobs etc taken, thus shrinking the economy?
I'm actually quite ignorant in this topic and would really like some knowledge.
Like cities like Austin and Seattle, I know I hear about prices going up, and people not liking that, but now that I think about it I dont really hear people complain about the conomy getting -worse-..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM

5,523 posts, read 8,782,545 times
In the US cities grow because there is a good local economy. That attracts newcomers who come for the jobs, and then those who come to supply the growing demand for goods and services that the additional population will generate.

Gold rush in California. Lots of new jobs (mining). Most of the '49ers coming to San Francisco didn't get even close to rich. But the people who came sold them stuff did. OR somebody opens a canal between the Great Lakes and the Hudson River. Trade explodes in the port of NYC. It needs workers. Then those workers need homes, food, clothing, entertainment, etc etc

OF course you can get too many people in an area and not enough infrastructure -- highways, sewers, schools, mass transit -- to support the growth. Typically that's the case in emerging market countries, where population growth in the cities can be a a serious problem rather than a boon to the local economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.