Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:04 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I live in Youngstown, Ohio, a city of about 65k in a metro of about 560k. I find that there's more to do here than I have time for. But, that's because I spend much of my spare time working on the restoration of my house, or surfing this forum.

No offense but 65,000 isn't even close to small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:02 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No offense but 65,000 isn't even close to small.
Depends on your definition of small. I don't think 65k is that small, either. But there are people on this board who think any city with less than 250k is small.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:09 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
I grew up and always lived in a small town, what I am use to. Though it can get boring, we are 40 min away from a larger city and an hour from a major city so we take many day trips. In town, not a lot to do except a few stores and eating out. We have lots of festivals though and summer activities. Few small lakes nearby also, visit often in summer and 1 hr away is a great amusment park. Overall, lots of driving to get to something good, but use to it.

my town is 27k population, many surrounding towns have under 10k pop.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:56 PM

93 posts, read 101,340 times
If you're new to a city...try getting involved in a local social club. Do you play a sport? Join an intramural/adult/beer league of that sport.

Do you have a dog? Explore local hiking trails (if they're available)
Play an instrument? If not, try and learn one if interested.

I'd say best bet..get involved in the community where you have long term goals of beautifying the city or educating others.

How about charity runs/marathons?

Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Living in a small town I always spent a lot of time outdoors, wondering what city people did to keep busy.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:22 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,642 times
Before college I had never lived in a town with a population over 10,000 and it could be pretty boring - especially considering the fact that I don't drink so I missed out on all of the parties. Whenever I wasn't interested in TV or the Internet, I was lucky in that Waco was near so if we ever wanted to watch a movie or something, we weren't totally in uncivilized parts. Although most nights out in high school resulted in us just driving around looking for something to do. Sometimes, there weren't movies playing. We can't skate, we can't bowl, (they're getting really expensive these days anway!) and there's not much to do once dark hits. I loved going to Hastings, though, and getting a new movie or something.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Well I live right near a tourist town that swells in population in the summer but then reverts to small town status the rest of the year. So I have all the choices of bars, clubs and restaurants that I want in season and those that stay open the rest of the year turn into small town, local hang outs which I like to go to on some weekends. Then there is working, hunting, fishing, prep for hunting, prep for fishing, toying with my truck, taking drives, traveling, etc. Pretty much anything you can do anywhere.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:31 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I live in a small mountain town of 800. To keep myself busy I like to give wrong directions to tourists.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 PM

52 posts, read 40,675 times
I love living in a small town, there's a lot of trails pretty close by and I spend a lot of my time hiking. I usually see my friends on the weekends, go kayaking or have a BBQ in the summer, in the winter we'll go out to eat or chill/drink at the house and just enjoy each others company. The rest of my down time is spent chilling with my gf and our dog, just doing whatever... Probably sounds boring to some, I don't find it boring at all.

Also, LA a small town?? LA is the second largest city in the US... but I guess it's all perspective.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I moved to a (truly) small city three years ago and have found myself asking this question quite frequently, However, if you are bored in Los Angeles or San Francisco, two of America's most cosmopolitan cities, I would look inward. I know the definition of a small town is a matter of perspective, but both of those are top 10 metro areas and I don't think anybody would consider them small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.