Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

...where exactly would you live, and why?

States
Alabama
Kentucky
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
West Virginia

Sections of states
California (northern)
California (southern)
Florida (outside of Miami area)
Illinois (downstate)
New York (upstate)
Virginia (outside of Washington DC area)

I'll start...

Alabama - Auburn. It's a college town that's only an hour and a half drive from Atlanta, and it seems less prone to tornadoes than Birmingham, Huntsville or Tuscaloosa.

Kentucky - Bowling Green. It's a college town about an hour from Nashville, and it's home to GM's Corvette plant.

Michigan - Grand Rapids. It'll soon become Michigan's second major metropolitan area (1,000,000+ population), and it gets a lot of snow in the winter.

Mississippi - Hattiesburg. It's a college town about an hour from the Gulf Coast and an hour and a half from New Orleans.

Missouri - Columbia. It's a college town about an hour from the Lake of the Ozarks, and an hour and a half from Kansas City, St. Louis, and my extended family in northern Missouri.

Montana - Billings. It's the largest city in a thinly-populated state, half a day from the spine of the Rocky Mountains, and a day from Denver and the Twin Cities.

New Mexico - Clovis. I like the name of the town, and it's not far from Amarillo or Lubbock.

North Carolina - Charlotte. I've always enjoyed my time in Charlotte, and the Raleigh area is too decentralized for my liking. It's only three hours away from Athens, four hours from Atlanta, and seven hours from Pittsburgh.

Ohio - Columbus. It's a major metropolitan area with a college town vibe, and it's only an hour and a half from Cincinnati, two hours from Cleveland, and two and a half hours from Pittsburgh.

Oklahoma - Tulsa. It doesn't seem quite as tornado-prone as Oklahoma City, and it's only an hour from there, two hours from the Ozark Mountains, and three hours from Kansas City.

Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh. It's home.

South Carolina - Greenville. It's a rapidly growing city that's an hour from Asheville, an hour and a half from Athens and Charlotte, and two hours from Atlanta and the Great Smoky Mountains.

Tennessee - Nashville. I've visited all four large cities in Tennessee, and Nashville is the one that I felt most "at home" in.

Texas - San Antonio. Not as humid or as prone to hurricanes as Houston, not as prone to tornadoes as Dallas/Fort Worth, and not as prone to smug as Austin. The Riverwalk is a great place to spend time.

West Virginia - Weirton. It's essentially an exurb of Pittsburgh at this point, and I can still get Pittsburgh radio stations clearly there, unlike in Morgantown.

California (northern) - Fremont. Sacramento and San Jose didn't do much for me, and the East Bay (minus Berkeley) seems more easy-going and less snooty than San Francisco.

California (southern) - Anaheim. Seems pretty centrally located in the greater Los Angeles conurbation, with easy access to the big city and the beaches of Orange County, plus a straight shot east to I-15 if I ever want to go to Las Vegas.

Florida (outside of Miami area) - Jacksonville. It's the least prone to hurricanes of all the cities in Florida, and big enough for there to be things to do. It also has some underrated beaches, and it's just three hours from Orlando, and six hours from Atlanta and Miami.

Illinois (downstate) - Belleville. It's a suburb of St. Louis, only four hours from Chicago and Nashville, and less than a day's drive from Athens.

New York (upstate) - Syracuse. It's a college town that's an hour from Rochester, two hours from Buffalo, and four hours from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York and Toronto. It also gets plenty of snow.

Virginia (outside of Washington DC area) - Charlottesville. It's a college town with lots of history nearby, and it's only an hour from Richmond, two hours from Washington DC and Virginia Beach, and five hours from Pittsburgh. And the best Southern food I've ever had was at the Michie Tavern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
States

Alabama - I'd take a beach house on one of those white sand beaches around Gulf Shores.
Kentucky - In the thick of wherever the most eclectic neighborhoods of Louisville are.
Michigan - Saugatuck or some nice town on the Lake Michigan shore within a reasonable drive to Chicago.
Mississippi - probably on the beach Gulfport/Biloxi.
Missouri - St. Louis, near the Forest Park area.
Montana - Missoula, fun college town in the Rockies.
New Mexico - I took a lucrative job in Albuquerque so here I stay.
North Carolina - Wrightsville Beach. I love Carolina Beaches and prefer the Outer Banks but Wrightsville would put me closer to more amenities and Wilmington is alright.
Ohio - Cleveland, I'd have to research a nice suburb with an attractive shoreline on Lake Erie.
Oklahoma - I'd be most apprehensive on this state, OKC I guess.
Pennsylvania - Probably a small town in the Poconos or perhaps New Hope.
South Carolina - Hilton Head, by the beach and near Savannah, works for me.
Tennessee - Nashville
Texas - Austin
West Virginia - Harpers Ferry, cute historic town and they have a train to DC.

Sections of states

California (northern) - Lake Tahoe
California (southern) - San Diego
Florida (outside of Miami area) - St. Pete Beach
Illinois (downstate) - whatever the nicest burb east of St. Louis is
New York (upstate) - Plattsburgh, beautiful setting on Lake Champlain near the Adirondacks and only an hour to Montreal. I love that area.
Virginia (outside of Washington DC area) - Virginia Beach

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-26-2014 at 07:57 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
States
Alabama-white sand Gulf beaches sound delightful
Kentucky-Louisville, I think I actually have family there
Michigan-near one of those beautiful Great Lake Beaches-Sleeping Bear Dunes? That's probably too far North though
Mississippi-Gulf Beach-maybe Biloxi or Gulfport
Missouri-St Louis
Montana- Not sure but probably a cool ranch with an amazing vista
New Mexico-Albuquerque-NM seems like a cool state-I know nothing about Las Cruces but it seems like a good location
North Carolina-Asheville! Or Wilmington/Wrightsville
Ohio-Cleveland
Oklahoma- OKC I guess
Pennsylvania-Philadelphia of course
South Carolina-Charleston-Folly Beach!
Tennessee-Nashville or Chattanooga
Texas-Austin
West Virginia- Charleston
Sections of states
California (northern) Oakland or Santa Cruz but wouldn't mind further up North like Humboldt or Mendocino
California (southern) San Diego or Newport Beach
Florida (outside of Miami area) Jupiter Island or Key West
Illinois (downstate) I guess a suburb of St Louis but would rather not
New York (upstate) Albany or Saratoga area
Virginia (outside of Washington DC area) Charlottesville

Old 08-26-2014, 12:21 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
[quote=Gnutella;36239305]...where exactly would you live, and why?

States
Alabama - Mobile. Gulf Coast is fascinating.
Kentucky - Covington. Cincy, nuff said.
Michigan - Ann Arbor. Only place in Michigan worth the winter.
Mississippi - Biloxi. See Alabama.
Missouri - KC. Hands down.
Montana - Missoula. College town par excellence.
New Mexico - Santa Fe. Yuppie as hell, but hard to argue its charm.
North Carolina - Asheville. No explanation necessary.
Ohio - Cincy. The real Charm City.
Oklahoma - Somewhere in the Oachita Mountains. There's no prettier country.
Pennsylvania - Inner ring Philly suburbs.
South Carolina - Landrum. As close to N. Carolina as I could get.
Tennessee - Nashville. What people think Austin used to be like.
Texas - San Antonio or El Paso. Authentic places with actual culture.
West Virginia - Anywhere but the panhandle, probably Morgantown. W VA is the most beautiful state int he union, bar none.
Sections of states
California (northern) - Anywhere. Oakland if I had to choose.
California (southern) - LA. Why bother with anything else, when there's somewhere perfect.
Florida (outside of Miami area) - Saint Augustine or Jacksonville. Pleasant surprises.
Illinois (downstate) - Swansea/Bellleville. Pretty pleasant, if unremarkable.
New York (upstate) - Plattsburgh. Love the lakes, love the Adirondacks, love the proximity to Montreal.
Virginia (outside of Washington DC area) - Charlottesville. Another great college town. Lovely setting. Perfect size.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:36 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Alabama: Birmingham. Largest urban area.
Kentucky: Covington. Cincinnati urban area.
Michigan: Detroit. The only city in the state I know a thing about.
Mississippi: Southaven. Gulfport is on the beach and close to New Orleans, but the Memphis area has much better weather. And if I can't live in New Orleans I don't need to be "near" it either. Driving home would be depressing.
Missouri: Saint Louis. Largest urban area.
Montana: Billings...I guess
New Mexico: Albuquerque. Largest urban area.
North Carolina: Charlotte. Largest and most culturally southern of all the urban areas.
Ohio: Cincinnati. Most urban and the furthest south.
Oklahoma: Oklahoma City. Largest and most culturally southern.
Pennsylvania: Philadelphia. Largest and part of the Boswash corridor.
South Carolina: Columbia. Charleston is nice but I couldn't see myself living there
Tennessee: Memphis. I have fond memories of this city and don't know enough about Nashville.
West Virginia: Jefferson County. If I have to live in this state I'm going to be as close to DC as possible.

California (northern): Oakland. More laid back and more diverse than San Francisco.
California (southern): Los Angeles...
Florida (outside of Miami area): Jacksonville. Still right on the coast and far enough north for some seasonal change. Great location.
Illinois (downstate): East Saint Louis. As close to downtown STL as possible.
New York (upstate): Buffalo. Proximity to Toronto.
Texas (north): Houston. Most urban amenities, most southern in culture, and proximity to the coast.
Texas (north): Dallas. The most amenities and cultural diversity.
Virginia (outside of Washington DC area): Norfolk. From what I know it seems to offer the most of any city in the region.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Texas - San Antonio or El Paso. Authentic places with actual culture.
Now surely you aren't saying that these are the only places in the state where this is true.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:43 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Answers in bold (* = moderate to profound unfamiliarity; ** = extreme unfamiliarity):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
...where exactly would you live, and why?

States
Alabama* - Mountain Brook: an upscale suburb of Alabama's most cosmopolitan city, containing a surprisingly high Jewish population.
Kentucky* - Louisville: Kentucky's largest and most cosmopolitan city. I can't tell you much more than that.
Michigan* - [b]Either Downtown Detroit (an urban area that is undergoing the road to recovery) or one of the nicer/more Jewish suburbs (probably West Bloomfield or Bloomfield Hills).
Mississippi** - Jackson: I assume it's the most cosmopolitan city.
Missouri* - Either one of the up-and-coming parts of St. Louis proper or a charming, inner ring suburb like University City.
Montana** - Billings?
New Mexico* - Either Albuquerque or Santa Fe, depending on how intolerably yuppie/hipster the latter is.
North Carolina* - Somewhere in the Research Triangle.
Ohio - Bexley: a charming, walkable, inner ring suburb with a strong Jewish population.
Oklahoma** - Tulsa: I know a Jew from Tulsa .
Pennsylvania: Philadelphia (Center City, Chestnut Hill, the Main Line, or Haddonfield) or Pittsburgh (Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Point Breeze, Fox Chapel, or Mt. Lebanon), with a slight edge to Philly. Charming, walkable (with the exception of Fox Chapel), strong Je--you may be sensing a pattern here ).
South Carolina* - Charleston: an ample amount of things to do/lots of history from what I know.
Tennessee - Nashville: Memphis seems more "authentic," but Nashville seems much nicer.
Texas* - Austin: it's probably more up my alley than DFW or Houston.
West Virginia - Charleston: the closest thing to a cosmopolitan city they have.

Sections of states
California (northern) - San Francisco to live as a young professional; Marin County or Palo Alto to raise a family.
California (southern) - Santa Monica: gorgeous and centrally located, with lots to do within the town itself.
Florida (outside of Miami area) - Palm Beach: both upscale and stable, unlike the rest of Southeast Florida these days (though its day may come as well).
Illinois** (downstate) - Carbondale: there's a college?
New York (upstate): Assuming we're not counting Westchester County on up as upstate , Rochester; it's a small, but charming city with a lot of culture. I'd probably raise a family in Brighton or Pittston.
Virginia (outside of Washington DC area)**: Far Western End of Richmond: A few Jews?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talmud2 View Post
Why bother attempting the feeble chastisement ?

Are you the hall monitor ? Please , friend at 400 posts, perhaps you need to take a break or pick up golf or jogging.
mjlo averages slightly over four posts a day. From the looks of things, you joined just a couple days ago, so your posting rate is probably more than double his. It's a shanda that a student of the Talmud should make such an error!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.