Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,059,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I think it's pitiful, and actually indicative of negatives within the personality/psyche when a person feels such animosity toward a whole REGION of this big, wide, diverse country. I mean, I have my favorite and least favorite states as well, but I can't imagine dismissing entire states or regions with such broad generalities and judgmental proclamations.
Usually people are drawn to city-data and sites like it because they have a fascination and a strong sense of pride for where they come from. I'm sure most of us are the same. The people spewing ridiculous nonsense, are usually saying the most worn out stereotypical things that they have heard and clung to for years. No actual thought goes into what is said. Every now and then the trolls find more artful and at times subtle forms of being close minded, but it's still becoming easy to identify.

At the end of the day it comes down to a need for validation. Just another form of insecurity. For some reason people have an inferiority complex about something, and as a way of transference they exploit things they perceive to be easy targets. Things they feel the majority of people will agree with them on. It's no different than a 3rd grader singling out another child and belittling them.

It's hard to decide how to handle it. My first thought is to always ignore it, because if you ignore an insecure person long enough they eventually change their tactics to something else. My second thought is to exploit and ridicule the ignorance, because the things said can do actual harm to places that have risen above these stigmas decades ago, and they don't need trolls trying to keep them in the past. At the end of the day i'm not sure it matters. I feel like there is a contingent of intelligent people on here that do a good job of containing it, and I love reading what you all have to say. But I can't decide what the best way of handling it would be: combat, or ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Usually people are drawn to city-data and sites like it because they have a fascination and a strong sense of pride for where they come from. I'm sure most of us are the same. The people spewing ridiculous nonsense, are usually saying the most worn out stereotypical things that they have heard and clung to for years. No actual thought goes into what is said. Every now and then the trolls find more artful and at times subtle forms of being close minded, but it's still becoming easy to identify.

At the end of the day it comes down to a need for validation. Just another form of insecurity. For some reason people have an inferiority complex about something, and as a way of transference they exploit things they perceive to be easy targets. Things they feel the majority of people will agree with them on. It's no different than a 3rd grader singling out another child and belittling them.

It's hard to decide how to handle it. My first thought is to always ignore it, because if you ignore an insecure person long enough they eventually change their tactics to something else. My second thought is to exploit and ridicule the ignorance, because the things said can do actual harm to places that have risen above these stigmas decades ago, and they don't need trolls trying to keep them in the past. At the end of the day i'm not sure it matters. I feel like there is a contingent of intelligent people on here that do a good job of containing it, and I love reading what you all have to say. But I can't decide what the best way of handling it would be: combat, or ignore.
I really like this site because it's got such a wide range of discussions and that's why I was drawn to it. I love discussing, debating, and learning about a wide range of topics.

You know, I love where I live. I am unabashedly grateful to be southern to the bone and to live in Texas. I didn't choose where I was born or raised but I'm very grateful that my parents chose to reinforce my affinity for the American South, and I'm even more grateful that eventually I found my way to Texas.

That being said, I think it would be ridiculous for me to assume that either the South in general, or Texas in particular was the best choice or option for everyone - or that everyone would appreciate what I appreciate. Furthermore, LOVING the South doesn't mean I can't or don't love or appreciate other regions - for the ways in which we're similar, and the ways in which we're different.

In fact, my very favorite region of the US isn't even the Deep South or Texas - it's the Mid Atlantic region. But overall, Texas meets my goals best so unless those change, this is where I'm happily settled.

And I hope everyone is as happy wherever they are as I am here.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Okay I agree with everything that Kathryn and the last five or six posters said. I don't understand why some people are always knocking the South either. To me it is one of the more unique regions in the United States.

But Southerners also contribute to this. I don't remember the names but I do remember posters from Georgia for instance, stating that he thinks Texas or Virginia is not really part of the South. And of course we know that a lot of people think that about Florida.

So its not just Northerners.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:44 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Okay I agree with everything that Kathryn and the last five or six posters said. I don't understand why some people are always knocking the South either. To me it is one of the more unique regions in the United States.

But Southerners also contribute to this. I don't remember the names but I do remember posters from Georgia for instance, stating that he thinks Texas or Virginia is not really part of the South. And of course we know that a lot of people think that about Florida.

So its not just Northerners.
Indeed, and I thought that to be the whole point of this thread. I'm from Virginia, and I'm a native southerner. Over the years there have been people from deeper southern states who have told me Virginia isn't a southern state. One of my coworkers, who is from Houston, insists I'm from a northern state. I also see lots of threads in the Virginia forum and the General US forum bemoaning the influx of northerners and that Virginia is becoming (or has already become) un-southern as a result. I've seen similar arguments about North Carolina, the Atlanta area, and so on.

Also, with Maryland and Delaware having once been solidly southern, today often considered northeastern, are other states likely to be switched in the minds of the masses over time? That's what I thought the point of the thread was.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
This thread has nothing to do with "South bashing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Man, people in this thread are thick.

The reason BajanYankee made this thread is because people in another thread were arguing that while Maryland was historically a southern state, it no longer was one for various reasons (less southern accents, northern transplants, liberal voting record, diverse suburbs, high levels of education/wealth, etc).

If this logic is true (IMHO it isn't), than any other southern state which develops in a similar manner would also cease to be southern.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Indeed, and I thought that to be the whole point of this thread. I'm from Virginia, and I'm a native southerner. Over the years there have been people from deeper southern states who have told me Virginia isn't a southern state. One of my coworkers, who is from Houston, insists I'm from a northern state. I also see lots of threads in the Virginia forum and the General US forum bemoaning the influx of northerners and that Virginia is becoming (or has already become) un-southern as a result. I've seen similar arguments about North Carolina, the Atlanta area, and so on.

Also, with Maryland and Delaware having once been solidly southern, today often considered northeastern, are other states likely to be switched in the minds of the masses over time? That's what I thought the point of the thread was.
I'm with you there. I'm a native Southerner too and the thread's premise was very obvious to me and I didn't see it as bashing the South. Then again, I'm familiar with the debate & this point has been used before but has been glossed over...

Old 09-04-2014, 12:09 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I'm with you there. I'm a native Southerner too and the thread's premise was very obvious to me and I didn't see it as bashing the South. Then again, I'm familiar with the debate & this point has been used before but has been glossed over...
Not only that but....

...there was no bashing of the South...at all.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,328 times
Yeah, I know. Folks who weren't familiar with the debate took it the wrong way (how? I don't know).

Edit: page 3 was where the misunderstanding grew.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:58 PM

233 posts, read 374,023 times
OP - don't you mean they've UN-officially become Southern?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:08 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,059,103 times
I think he means UN-officially become UN-Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.