Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:38 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Buh bye, Virginny.

Quote:
“At one point Virginia was the South, when New York n***as was talking about hustling and that was a trip,” said Pusha, who was influenced by artists like Rakim and Jay-Z. “But now, it’s one of those places, they call Mid-Atlantic."
The Clipse Drop New Mixtape; Headed To Court Day With Jive | AllHipHop.com

Now the focus in on North Carolina.

Quote:
North Carolina and Virginia are much closer culturally than North Carolina and South Carolina, and NC and VA (nowadays at least) have far more in common with states north to new england than they do states south toward the gulf. South Carolina is 100% a southern state. North Carolina never was historically, and certainly is not today.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...-atlantic.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:59 PM

233 posts, read 374,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I think he means UN-officially become UN-Southern.
Oh, yep you're right. Wow I really got dizzy trying to figure that out. Virginia is one of the spotty half and half states. I actually always thought parts of Maryland had a southern influence. I just know when my cousin moved out there for school her accent slowly developed into more of a southern accent. However I know there are areas on the East Coast where the "o" in "no" is very drawl-ish and "English" sounding, so maybe that's what I was hearing. However now she is settled in NC and that definitely has southern cultural traits in my eyes.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:15 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Dumbest comment of that entire commentary.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:11 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
north carolina never was historically, and certainly is not today
lmao

Old 09-06-2014, 01:23 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Thursday night, I had the pleasure of engaging a couple from Manchester, England who were on holiday here in Savannah. This same couple also has a second home in New Zelaand, where their daughter lives. Needless to say, these people are world travelers. They've visited 27 U.S. states and all of our major cities and national parks. And guess what region of America is their favorite? The South. As we talked, it became clear to me that these people -- who've been all over the world and are as educated, traveled and informed as any on the face of our planet -- do not harbor the same narrow-minded ignorance, stereotypes and biases that people right here in America do about their fellow citizens and neighbors. How is that possible?

It simply boggles my mind that anybody would feel the need to create a thread such as this ... how dumb must you be?

Old 09-06-2014, 05:58 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Virginia is still heavily dominated by Southern culture outside of NOVA.
Exactly. People seem to forget this. Outside of NoVA, Virginia is still very southern which is part of the reason why Northern Virginia is the only part of Virginia I'd ever live in.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lmao
Yeah, I really had to roll my eyes at that one.

I've lived in North Carolina and it's southern heritage as well as southern traits are just about impossible to miss. It's one of the finest of the southern states in my humble opinion.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 AM

233 posts, read 374,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've lived in North Carolina and it's southern heritage as well as southern traits are just about impossible to miss. It's one of the finest of the southern states in my humble opinion.
I agree, I think of North Carolina as a high-toned version of southern, it's a state I think a lot of people from all regions appreciate.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
=BajanYankee;36362970]Not only that but....

...there was no bashing of the South...at all.
Not trying to be condescending at all, BajanYankee -- as I know from past posts you are an intelligent person who means well -- so I am extending you the benefit of the doubt that no "South-bashing" was intended by you personally, but lots of thing said come across that way. Maybe not so much you yourself (but if the shoe fits, wear it! ), but by certain other northern/west coast posters that just seem to flock to these type threads, and never miss a chance to hypocritically slam the South. UTHorns outlined it pretty well.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Not trying to be condescending at all, BajanYankee -- as I know from past posts you are an intelligent person who means well -- so I am extending you the benefit of the doubt that no "South-bashing" was intended by you personally, but lots of thing said come across that way. Maybe not so much you yourself (but if the shoe fits, wear it! ), but by certain other northern/west coast posters that just seem to flock to these type threads, and never miss a chance to hypocritically slam the South. UTHorns outlined it pretty well.
No, I made the thread because of comments like the one in the article I posted ("North Carolina is not southern and historically it never was").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.