Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
A lot of this bolded stuff isn't correct.

1. I lived in Dallas for 18 years. Hardly ever met backwards Southern types. Met about the same amount in Texas that I did when I lived in Florida. Florida isn't just Miami Beach.

2. Overall, people in Miami are better looking than people in Texas. Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville...eh, pretty debatable. I would rank North Dallas and Austin pretty highly.

3. Extremely debatable. Have you been to Texas? There are deserts and mountains in the west, plains in the north, beaches in the south, and forests in the east. Florida pretty much has beaches, swamps, and forests. No discernible elevation changes at all. Texas has all of that stuff and more. The beaches aren't as pretty as Florida, but the variation in landscape alone puts it above Florida.
People in Dallas and Austin as good looking as the people in Tampa or Orlando? Not a chance. I spent two months in Dallas and partied basically the whole time back in 2012. People in that city do not even come close in looks to those in Tampa. Even the gay bars in Dallas were full of the bear and overweight types.

Take a stroll down the SoHo District, Downtown St. Petersburg, or the west side of Ybor City sometime in Tampa. There is an endless ambiance of pretty people. I lived in Tampa for 8 years. And partied every weekend of my time there. I know the people. I was one of them even.

Almost all of Florida has good looking people, not just Miami. Even my small hometown in Southwest Florida has gorgeous people coming out of it (of course, the massive retiree population doesn't count, but even they are more fit than the national average). Florida has a climate and a culture that encourages and even pressurizes young people to be fit. No one wants to be fat when they go to the beach or pool.

Austin, I can't speak for, as I have never been. Dallas doesn't come close. Neither did Houston but I was only there partying for about 4 days. Not long enough to tell.

Texas basically has desert and mountains in the west. But those are so isolated you may never even go there if you live in Texas. Most of Texas's population lives and the east and not a soul talks about going to the mountains. Living in Florida and going to the beach (or any of the other numerous beautiful waterfront options) is an almost weekly occurrence. If you are young and outgoing that is. I heard Texas beaches are ugly and the water is dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Texas basically has desert and mountains in the west. But those are so isolated you may never even go there if you live in Texas. Most of Texas's population lives and the east and not a soul talks about going to the mountains. Living in Florida and going to the beach (or any of the other numerous beautiful waterfront options) is an almost weekly occurrence. If you are young and outgoing that is. I heard Texas beaches are ugly and the water is dirty.
I grew up in Houston, in the far-Southeastern part of the state, and we used to go camping and hiking every summer in the Davis Mountains in far-West Texas. Sometimes we'd go even further to Big Bend. Yes, it was a very long drive, but it's not that uncommon. I knew plenty of other Houstonians who did the same.

As for your laughably shallow comments about how "fat and ugly" most Texans are, let's just chalk that one up to a narrow view on what defines beauty.

Can't argue about the beaches though.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I grew up in Houston, in the far-Southeastern part of the state, and we used to go camping and hiking every summer in the Davis Mountains in far-West Texas. Sometimes we'd go even further to Big Bend. Yes, it was a very long drive, but it's not that uncommon. I knew plenty of other Houstonians who did the same.

As for your laughably shallow comments about how "fat and ugly" most Texans are, let's just chalk that one up to a narrow view on what defines beauty.

Can't argue about the beaches though.
South Padre Island is pretty nice. Not Florida nice, but they're pretty good beaches in US.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
South Padre Island is pretty nice. Not Florida nice, but they're pretty good beaches in US.
Yeah, S. Padre is a big step up from Galveston or Bolivar... but I must concede that even S. Padre doesn't hold a candle to most Florida beaches.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Texas has a much better job market. And cost of living in both states is quite cheap. Outside of the expensive waterfront areas Florida is very affordable. Orlando has one of the cheapest housing markets in the nation.

You WILL meet backwards Southern types in Texas (in the major metros too, not just the small town areas), where as in Florida those kinds are a rarity.

Florida has way sexier people. Texas is a fat person's state, and they won't deny it. Everything IS bigger in Texas! lol.

Florida has more natural beauty, especially the Southern parts of the state, but even the central part of the state with the abundance of small hills and lakes is pretty as well. Texas has mountains in the west part of the state though.

I vote Texas, strictly on the job market issue. One of the things that pushed me out of Florida was the states terrible economy, especially for young college graduates. My heart aches for my family everyday but I was seriously looking at a life of squalor if I stayed there. And I would be a bum on the street before I ever served another snow bird a plate of food again. lol.
I don't buy the bolded at all......
Honestly if you're going to trash the looks of Texans there's no need to post.
Btw, I wasn't even asking about good looking people--
I've got plenty of good looking people right where I'm at....
If I had just met 2 equally good looking men, same backrounds, same appealing traits to me-
yet one was from Florida & one was from Texas-
I'd choose the dude from Texas

Quote:
You don't want to be around college kids, but would move to Austin???
Austin would be the only possible exception....
Then again.....nah
I really don't want to be around college kids acting stupid.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Quote:
People in Dallas and Austin as good looking as the people in Tampa or Orlando? Not a chance. I spent two months in Dallas and partied basically the whole time back in 2012. People in that city do not even come close in looks to those in Tampa. Even the gay bars in Dallas were full of the bear and overweight types.

Take a stroll down the SoHo District, Downtown St. Petersburg, or the west side of Ybor City sometime in Tampa. There is an endless ambiance of pretty people. I lived in Tampa for 8 years. And partied every weekend of my time there. I know the people. I was one of them even.

Almost all of Florida has good looking people, not just Miami. Even my small hometown in Southwest Florida has gorgeous people coming out of it (of course, the massive retiree population doesn't count, but even they are more fit than the national average). Florida has a climate and a culture that encourages and even pressurizes young people to be fit. No one wants to be fat when they go to the beach or pool.

Austin, I can't speak for, as I have never been. Dallas doesn't come close. Neither did Houston but I was only there partying for about 4 days. Not long enough to tell.

Yeah, come take a trip to Austin and see for yourself. Although I do agree about the Texas coast, it's not always pretty but we get by.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
I'd love to see the looks of these posters who like to talk about how ugly and fat people in another place are. Let me find out...

Old 09-11-2014, 09:33 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Just read through this whole thread. Good Lord, there are some stupid people in the world. Not wasting time arguing with misinformed/obtuse/ignorant/incendiary posters on here, but they make themselves plain.

Personally, I'd say go where the better chance of you finding a job is.

As far as natural beauty, Florida has nothing on Texas outside of beaches. Inland Florida has nothing as beautiful as the Hill Country.

With Texas you'll also get a much stronger local culture compared to Florida as a whole.

It really depends on what you prefer.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:36 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Just read through this whole thread. Good Lord, there are some stupid people in the world. Not wasting time arguing with misinformed/obtuse/ignorant/incendiary posters on here, but they make themselves plain.

Personally, I'd say go where the better chance of you finding a job is.

As far as natural beauty, Florida has nothing on Texas outside of beaches. Inland Florida has nothing as beautiful as the Hill Country.

With Texas you'll also get a much stronger local culture compared to Florida as a whole.

It really depends on what you prefer.
Talking about stupidity. Much of the Everglades are technically inland; it's a biodiversity hot spot (unique in North America), no need to elaborate. Same applies for a complex cave system in the middle of the state, countless lakes, intracoastal waterways, so if you think FL is just beaches, think again.

FL also has the highest marine biodiversity (Gulf of MX/Atlantic Ocean) (including HI) in the country.

TX offers more jobs but FL is not far behind in that, especially lately.

FL is a better choice for nature buffs and people who are actively involved in water-sports (kayaking, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, boating etc..). TX strikes me as 21 century cowboy land. I like Dallas/Houston for their developed down-towns (even though Miami can easily give them a run for their $), however, a good portion of the state is arid and desert like. OTOH, 100% of FL is green and luscious year round.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:42 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Talking about stupidity. Much of the Everglades are technically inland; it's a biodiversity hot spot (unique in North America), no need to elaborate. Same applies for a complex cave system in the middle of the state, countless lakes, intracoastal waterways, so if you think FL is just beaches, think again.

FL also has the highest marine biodiversity (Gulf of MX/Atlantic Ocean) (including HI) in the country.

TX offers more jobs but FL is not far behind in that, especially lately.

FL is a better choice for nature buffs and people who are actively involved in water-sports (kayaking, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, boating etc..). TX strikes me as 21 century cowboy land. I like Dallas/Houston for their developed down-towns (even though Miami can easily give them a run for their $), however, a good portion of the state is arid and desert like. OTOH, 100% of FL is green and luscious year round.
Lol 21st Century cowboy land? Desert like? Nice to see people are still getting their information from Mid 20th Century westerns that were filmed in Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.