Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:48 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Talking about stupidity. Much of the Everglades are technically inland; it's a biodiversity hot spot (unique in North America), no need to elaborate. Same applies for a complex cave system in the middle of the state, countless lakes, intracoastal waterways, so if you think FL is just beaches, think again.

FL also has the highest marine biodiversity (Gulf of MX/Atlantic Ocean) (including HI) in the country.

TX offers more jobs but FL is not far behind in that, especially lately.

FL is a better choice for nature buffs and people who are actively involved in water-sports (kayaking, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, boating etc..). TX strikes me as 21 century cowboy land. I like Dallas/Houston for their developed down-towns (even though Miami can easily give them a run for their $), however, a good portion of the state is arid and desert like. OTOH, 100% of FL is green and luscious year round.
So you get upset because someone appears to be less informed about Florida yet you're clearly uninformed about Texas. How about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 12:00 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Texas basically has desert and mountains in the west. But those are so isolated you may never even go there if you live in Texas. Most of Texas's population lives and the east and not a soul talks about going to the mountains. Living in Florida and going to the beach (or any of the other numerous beautiful waterfront options) is an almost weekly occurrence. If you are young and outgoing that is. I heard Texas beaches are ugly and the water is dirty.
The desert and mountains of Texas may be quite far for many who live in the eastern part of the state, but that doesn't mean that people from that part of the state do not venture to the mountains, or talk about them. The drive can be long, but it is far from inaccessible.

While I do agree that as a whole, Florida beaches are more attractive than Texas beaches, the quality of water and sand in Texas beaches, especially around points Port Aransas southward, is still amazing enough for those locations to function as great beach destinations, and subtropical resorts that beat those in much of the rest of the CONUS.

Quote:
Talking about stupidity. Much of the Everglades are technically inland; it's a biodiversity hot spot (unique in North America), no need to elaborate. Same applies for a complex cave system in the middle of the state, countless lakes, intracoastal waterways, so if you think FL is just beaches, think again.
And Texas has all that, plus beaches, and more.

Quote:
FL also has the highest marine biodiversity (Gulf of MX/Atlantic Ocean) (including HI) in the country.

TX offers more jobs but FL is not far behind in that, especially lately.

FL is a better choice for nature buffs and people who are actively involved in water-sports (kayaking, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, boating etc..). TX strikes me as 21 century cowboy land. I like Dallas/Houston for their developed down-towns (even though Miami can easily give them a run for their $), however, a good portion of the state is arid and desert like. OTOH, 100% of FL is green and luscious year round.
The opportunity for water sports on the Texas coast is equal to that of Florida's, so I don't know where you were trying to go with that. And in addition to such water-sports, Texas also offers recreation revolving around hills and mountains, as well as sand and desert, things that Florida lacks. With such diversity in landscapes, I think Texas offers more for the nature buffs

Its funny how people think of much of Texas as arid and desert-like, even though such environments make up less than 10% of the state. And Florida is a smaller state in land area than Texas, with the entirety of it in proximity to water, so I would expect 100% of it to be green year-round. But that is also true for the Coastal portions of the state, as well as for Central/South Texas too.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:02 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The desert and mountains of Texas may be quite far for many who live in the eastern part of the state, but that doesn't mean that people from that part of the state do not venture to the mountains, or talk about them. The drive can be long, but it is far from inaccessible.

While I do agree that as a whole, Florida beaches are more attractive than Texas beaches, the quality of water and sand in Texas beaches, especially around points Port Aransas southward, is still amazing enough for those locations to function as great beach destinations, and subtropical resorts that beat those in much of the rest of the CONUS.

And Texas has all that, plus beaches, and more.

The opportunity for water sports on the Texas coast is equal to that of Florida's, so I don't know where you were trying to go with that. And in addition to such water-sports, Texas also offers recreation revolving around hills and mountains, as well as sand and desert, things that Florida lacks. With such diversity in landscapes, I think Texas offers more for the nature buffs

Its funny how people think of much of Texas as arid and desert-like, even though such environments make up less than 10% of the state. And Florida is a smaller state in land area than Texas, with the entirety of it in proximity to water, so I would expect 100% of it to be green year-round. But that is also true for the Coastal portions of the state, as well as for Central/South Texas too.
FL has the longest coast line of any state. Port Aransas is what, 25 miles north to south? More, less? FL has the only living coral reef in North America, 3rd largest barrier reef in the world(even the coastline in West FL is littered with coral reefs(the closest coral reef to TX is the Flower Gardens (150 miles south of Galveston, not easily accessible).

I've heard beaches close to Houston/Galveston are sub-par to most FL beaches (also more polluted), so that leaves only the above in Corpus Christi. As for water sports, the gulf has no waves(surfing's not that great);so leaves mainly scuba diving and fishing/boating. Ok West TX has some smaller mountains, but how often do people venture that way? FL has recreation activities around the corner(there's springs, rivers, bayous, mangroves, little inlets, lakes, forests, swamps and the ocean is less than 2 hrs away from any place in the state).

Old 09-12-2014, 09:06 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not from Texas but I moved here in the 1990s. When the bottom dropped out of the economy in 2008, no one told me, "Y'all ain't from Texas, move on."

Once you move to Texas, I swear, you can live here about six months, love the state, respect it's values, and bingo - YOU'RE A TEXAN. That's one of the many things I love about Texas - how welcoming and generous hearted the people are.

The thing about Texans you have to understand is this - They're very friendly and helpful...as long as you're doing the best you can and are polite yourself. They have very little patience for slackers, lazy whiners, etc. They'll get right down in that ditch with you, in their Sunday clothes, to push your car out...but you better be down there pushing with them, or have a darn good excuse not to be.

Very low tolerance level for anyone's sense of entitlement or self importance.
Totally agree with this statement. Good post and I love Texans!!!!

Old 09-12-2014, 12:20 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
This is how it was explained to me: I am not from Texas but I got there as fast as I could.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:42 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
FL has the longest coast line of any state. Port Aransas is what, 25 miles north to south? More, less? FL has the only living coral reef in North America, 3rd largest barrier reef in the world(even the coastline in West FL is littered with coral reefs(the closest coral reef to TX is the Flower Gardens (150 miles south of Galveston, not easily accessible).

I've heard beaches close to Houston/Galveston are sub-par to most FL beaches (also more polluted), so that leaves only the above in Corpus Christi. As for water sports, the gulf has no waves(surfing's not that great);so leaves mainly scuba diving and fishing/boating. Ok West TX has some smaller mountains, but how often do people venture that way? FL has recreation activities around the corner(there's springs, rivers, bayous, mangroves, little inlets, lakes, forests, swamps and the ocean is less than 2 hrs away from any place in the state).
You still haven't defended your statement that most of Texas was arid and desert-like.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You still haven't defended your statement that most of Texas was arid and desert-like.
He's saying that more of Florida is greenery year round than more of Texas. Which is pretty much true. You're not going to find lush greenery in Pecos or even Dalhart. However, what he doesn't realize is that the portion of Texas that is green and lush is as big as the entire state of Florida and most of the people in Texas live in that part of the state.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:20 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,616 times
I said a good portion of the state is arid and desert like, not most.

Uthorn: Still waiting to defend what you wrote that inland FL has nothing on TX in terms of natural beauty.

http://www.florida-everglades.com/flash-marco3.jpg

http://www.visitusa.com/florida/imag...egeorgepic.jpg

Old 09-12-2014, 03:42 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
I said a good portion of the state is arid and desert like, not most.

Uthorn: Still waiting to defend what you wrote that inland FL has nothing on TX in terms of natural beauty.

http://www.florida-everglades.com/flash-marco3.jpg

http://www.visitusa.com/florida/imag...egeorgepic.jpg
Texas has wetlands. They aren't quite as expansive as the Everglades but still incredible.

http://www.booknookinn.com/images/bg...ig-thicket.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...1-go-devil.jpg

http://www.toledo-bend.com/hillside/...hsiaerial2.jpg

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/outdoor-...rass_Egret.png

Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
This is how it was explained to me: I am not from Texas but I got there as fast as I could.
Lmao, perfect response
II think it's wonderful how people from Texas have this die hard love for the state.....
I notice Florida doesn't seem to command that same level of loyalty-
Then again a friend of mine who's buying in Florida soon said that's because most people in Florida are transplants, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.