Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times

Advertisements

Which city with a metro population of at least 1 million do you think is the dirtiest in the nation? The cleanest?

Based on my travels, I would have to say that NYC and Dallas both have an old, dirty feel. Old housing, old architecture, beat-up roads, occasional litter here and there, and the stench of fast food everywhere you go. I have yet to visit LA, so I can't comment on that.

As far as the cleanest large cities, I would say Austin, Boston, Raleigh and Orlando are quite clean in appearance.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Which city with a metro population of at least 1 million do you think is the dirtiest in the nation? The cleanest?

Based on my travels, I would have to say that NYC and Dallas both have an old, dirty feel. Old housing, old architecture, beat-up roads, occasional litter here and there, and the stench of fast food everywhere you go. I have yet to visit LA, so I can't comment on that.

As far as the cleanest large cities, I would say Austin, Boston, Raleigh and Orlando are quite clean in appearance.

What do you think?
Dallas makes LA look like Mexico City.

New Orleans is just nasty.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-18-2012 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Clearly you haven't been to Philly if you think NYC and Dallas (especially) are dirty. By the way old housing/old architecture is considered historic and many prefer it over soulless modern concrete boxes. In terms of clean big cities, Washington DC should be at or near the top. It's pretty much spotless despite a pretty significant tourist population in addition to the permanent residents.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times
This is the first time Ive heard Dallas called dirty. Most people say it's almost too sterile and new looking. I guess it depends what your used to.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 AM

354 posts, read 785,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly you haven't been to Philly if you think NYC and Dallas (especially) are dirty. By the way old housing/old architecture is considered historic and many prefer it over soulless modern concrete boxes. In terms of clean big cities, Washington DC should be at or near the top. It's pretty much spotless despite a pretty significant tourist population in addition to the permanent residents.
u must've only visited the tourist/downtown sections if u think its spotless

Old 12-19-2012, 04:29 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
This is the first time Ive heard Dallas called dirty. Most people say it's almost too sterile and new looking. I guess it depends what your used to.
Seriously? The roads are all beat up and cracked and it stinks like food everywhere.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times
Quote:
Seriously? The roads are all beat up and cracked and it stinks like food everywhere.
maybe if your coming in on i 30 or i 35, but most of the highways are really new, and sunken or surrounded by walls. it all depends where you are. i dont know where you stayed.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Dallas is one of the most modern & sterile looking (almost too sterile) large cities in America.

Its certainly a lot cleaner than LA many times over.

That guys perception is way off.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
Do you think people from dirty cities start these threads? It never occurred to me what a "clean" city was until I lived in a dirtier one, and oh my goodness it makes a difference!

Old 12-20-2012, 05:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
u must've only visited the tourist/downtown sections if u think its spotless
Nope, I actually lived in DC (NW quadrant). There are some less clean areas (low income or industrial sections) but the city overall is quite clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.