Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times

Advertisements

...in terms of litter.

I've been to 20 states, which is nothing to "ooooooooh" and "aaaaaaaaah" about, but I'm just curious about what you've noticed.

Here is my top three list of cleanest and dirtiest:
Cleanest
1. Texas. I was drop-jaw amazed at just how clean its city streets, secondary roads, and interstates were (that was in 2001, and I hope they're still that way.) I literally recall the state being so clean that I LOOKED for litter along the ride on I-10 b/t San Antonio and Houston and finding very little.
2. Indiana. I've never ventured north of Indy, but Indiana sure seems like a clean place.
3. Mississippi or Illinois...probably Mississippi. I hope that "Pick It Up" campaign down in Miss. is continuing to help the state!

Dirtiest
1. Georgia. Uh...uh...wow! It's sad for such an aesthetically beautiful state to be partially tainted because of litter. Wait...pitiful.
2. Kentucky. Thankfully, the situation here has much improved much over the last five years. Aside from spending hours cleaning the roadside by my house, parts of (especially) rural Kentucky can be breathtakingly littered.
3. Tennessee. The most aesthetically pleasing of the Southern states I've been to, but east Tennessee especially needs some cleanin' along I-75 and I-40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
...in terms of litter.

I've been to 20 states, which is nothing to "ooooooooh" and "aaaaaaaaah" about, but I'm just curious about what you've noticed.

Here is my top three list of cleanest and dirtiest:
Cleanest
1. Texas. I was drop-jaw amazed at just how clean its city streets, secondary roads, and interstates were (that was in 2001, and I hope they're still that way.) I literally recall the state being so clean that I LOOKED for litter along the ride on I-10 b/t San Antonio and Houston and finding very little.
2. Indiana. I've never ventured north of Indy, but Indiana sure seems like a clean place.
3. Mississippi or Illinois...probably Mississippi. I hope that "Pick It Up" campaign down in Miss. is continuing to help the state!

Dirtiest
1. Georgia. Uh...uh...wow! It's sad for such an aesthetically beautiful state to be partially tainted because of litter. Wait...pitiful.
2. Kentucky. Thankfully, the situation here has much improved much over the last five years. Aside from spending hours cleaning the roadside by my house, parts of (especially) rural Kentucky can be breathtakingly littered.
3. Tennessee. The most aesthetically pleasing of the Southern states I've been to, but east Tennessee especially needs some cleanin' along I-75 and I-40.
I agree with GA, it's very dirty especially in Atlanta, you see ALOT of roadside litter.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
Last summer, while driving I-40 in NC, I noticed a lot of litter strewn everywhere. Also, i had never seen so many broken down cars in my life. That trip was not what i had expected.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 AM

246 posts, read 873,079 times
Cleanest -

1. Connecticut
2. Virginia
3. Massachusetts

Dirtiest -

1. California
2. Georgia
3. Louisana

Old 03-01-2008, 06:20 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee784 View Post
Cleanest -

1. Connecticut
2. Virginia
3. Massachusetts

Dirtiest -

1. California
2. Georgia
3. Louisana
I agree about California. I was suprised when I first lived in the San Diego area several years ago to see so much roadside litter. I just assumed that a state like California, which seems so environmentally conscious, would not have much of a litter problem, but I was wrong.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:59 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I agree about California. I was suprised when I first lived in the San Diego area several years ago to see so much roadside litter. I just assumed that a state like California, which seems so environmentally conscious, would not have much of a litter problem, but I was wrong.
Moderator cut: off topic remark
Haven't been to enough states to really say, but from what I've seen, I'll post by city or area:

Cleanest
  1. San Jose, CA
  2. Upstate NY
  3. Honolulu
Dirtiest
  1. Vegas
  2. Vegas
  3. Vegas
  4. Vegas
  5. Vegas
  6. SoCal
  7. DC

Last edited by MB2; 03-03-2008 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,186 times
Quote:
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
To be fair, things have changed a lot in the past year. The 95 is actually really clean now that they've repaved and added new lanes. And the newer 215 has always been clean and nicely maintained.

Older areas around the central parts of town may be dirtier, but most residents can avoid those areas completely. The bad areas are what you see immediately off the strip, but that's not reality for the majority of the city.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,076 times
I haven't been everywhere, but in my experience...

Cleanest - Upstate NY, WY, and Chicago was really clean for a city (at least what I saw of it)

Dirtiest - NJ (I lived there for 30+ years. Try going for more than 100 feet on Rt 22 without seeing trash caught in bushes, carpeting the ground, etc. "Preserved" areas filled with cigarette butts, beer cans, etc.)
I've back-country camped in CO and UT and was appalled at how much trash that was left behind at campsites that we ended up cleaning up, burning, and carrying out for disposal.
And VA really upsets me...They clean up the highways pretty consistently, but I see lots of trash in what should be beautiful mountain areas...dishwashers or refrigerators dumped down hillsides off of mountain roads, etc.

Last edited by j1n; 03-02-2008 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 01:43 PM

266 posts, read 911,327 times
I noticed a lot of roadside litter on a recent trip to Georgia/South Carolina as well. (Flew into Atlanta.) New Mexico, where I live now, seems to be a fairly clean state. (Although on a roadtrip yesterday I did notice a lot of litter alongside the road--don't know why I didn't see a lot before and all of a sudden it's there.) I think it's simply because this is not a very populated state.

I hate litter!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
To be fair, things have changed a lot in the past year. The 95 is actually really clean now that they've repaved and added new lanes. And the newer 215 has always been clean and nicely maintained.

Older areas around the central parts of town may be dirtier, but most residents can avoid those areas completely. The bad areas are what you see immediately off the strip, but that's not reality for the majority of the city.
Well my grandparents live in North Vegas and have lived there even before it was a bad area. I've been going there for years I am always amazed at how dirty it is, even though it's such a clean city. I can understand if areas near The Strip are dirty because of all the tourists, foot traffic, and car traffic, but up in North Vegas it's just ridiculous.

Also, that supports my argument. Moderator cut: off topic remark I live in a nice area of LA by the beach and it is always clean. But, come holidays such as 4th of July or just really hot days when it's over 100* inland, all the Hispanics from South Central and East LA come over to the beach where it's cooler with 17, a couch, an oven, and a refrigerator in a little Honda Civic. Moderator cut: off topic It's disgusting to walk on some beaches for a few weeks after holidays and even the ocean is filled with plastic bags, styrofoam cups, cardboard boxes, condoms, etc. for a few days.

Last edited by MB2; 03-03-2008 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.