Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:42 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

College towns have younger people, and younger people in the US tend to be less trapped in the closet.

And this will also attract likeminded people from outside the area, too. And the cycle continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:22 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlind985 View Post
Are you serious? I mean is this really a serious post... You must be from somewhere very conservative. I have never even heard somebody TALK this way let alone ask such a question. Let me ask you this.. why are there so many blondes in California? I mean, even after they leave California, they're still blonde. Wait.. It doesn't matter... at all. Just like who people are attracted to doesn't matter.. at all. I suggest you travel a little and experience cultures that are much more open minded than your own, because in order to seriously ask a question like this, you must be living a very sheltered life.
Yes, I'm serious. I am gay and come from a liberal area, for your information.

All I wanted to know is why this phenomenon occurs. Don't make stupid assumptions about "open mindedness" and all of your politically correct BULL____.

I simply want to understand why there's a disproportionately higher gay population in college areas than non-college areas. Because college has nothing to do with being gay, so I was curious.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes, I'm serious. I am gay and come from a liberal area, for your information.

All I wanted to know is why this phenomenon occurs. Don't make stupid assumptions about "open mindedness" and all of your politically correct BULL____.

I simply want to understand why there's a disproportionately higher gay population in college areas than non-college areas. Because college has nothing to do with being gay, so I was curious.
Actually, college DOES have a lot to do with being gay. Gay and lesbian people are statistically better educated, success-driven and likely to attend college than their straight peers. How many gay kids drop out of high school? Or go to a trade school? Just about every gay or lesbian I know has a college degree and a professional career.

And has already been explained, most college communities are far more liberal and accepting of alternative lifestyles than others. It makes perfect sense that gay kids from small towns would gravitate to college cities, just as they would gravitate to large metro areas with large GLBT populations and communities.

Gay Couples More Educated, Higher-Income Than Heterosexual Couples - US News

Old 09-17-2014, 04:49 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Actually, college DOES have a lot to do with being gay. Gay and lesbian people are statistically better educated, success-driven and likely to attend college than their straight peers. How many gay kids drop out of high school? Or go to a trade school? Just about every gay or lesbian I know has a college degree and a professional career.

And has already been explained, most college communities are far more liberal and accepting of alternative lifestyles than others. It makes perfect sense that gay kids from small towns would gravitate to college cities, just as they would gravitate to large metro areas with large GLBT populations and communities.

Trust me there is a high ratio of gay people that didn't go to college and don't get it. I don't know statistics but in my personal experience the ratio has got to be close to the straight community.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Just to piggyback on this thought ... gay and trans teens who make it to college have successfully navigated an extremely fraught period in their lives. Children tend to "come out" when they are teens, but the consequences of coming out early can be dire. The stakes are high; rejection often means being kicked out of the house.

New Study Confirms 40 Percent of Homeless Youth Are Gay | Williams Institute

Though it is less common nowadays, in earlier times, it was VERY common for college to be the first point in their young lives to not only be living away from their parents but to also have the freedom to explore themselves (and, potentially, their sexuality) in ways that simply were not possible while living with their parents.

Freedom from Fear: Creating Safe Spaces for LGBT Youth | IIP Digital

Since college is often the first place where many LGBT people feel safe, it tends to hold a place in people's hearts and many choose to stay close to places where they feel most safe.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:29 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Trust me there is a high ratio of gay people that didn't go to college and don't get it. I don't know statistics but in my personal experience the ratio has got to be close to the straight community.
I agree. I'm shocked whenever I see the statistics. I'm gay, 30 and all these years, based on observation, it seems to me that many gays are stuck in adolescence well into their late 20's or beyond. Tons of them don't have a lucrative career or higher socioeconomic status. I'm a very well educated gay, and it's NOT easy finding other like minded gays around my age at all. The vast majority of them are just plain.....stupid. Or beautiful and stupid.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:28 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree. I'm shocked whenever I see the statistics. I'm gay, 30 and all these years, based on observation, it seems to me that many gays are stuck in adolescence well into their late 20's or beyond. Tons of them don't have a lucrative career or higher socioeconomic status. I'm a very well educated gay, and it's NOT easy finding other like minded gays around my age at all. The vast majority of them are just plain.....stupid. Or beautiful and stupid.
And where exactly does that differ from the general population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.