Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How exactly does legalizing gay marriage "dictate to the majority how they should live"?

Had you said nothing explicitly about gays, you could have easily been talking about Black folks circa 1964.

race has absolutely nothing to do with it so stop saying that nonsense.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Just because this is happening does not mean its supported in the south. Right now no state is choosing to take this to the next level, maybe they are waiting for the supreme court to take it up. The celebrations on the left will end the day a southern governor has the guts to tell the federal court NO, and nullify their edicts. The feds will then have the choice of sending in armed forces to force the state to obey, or back down to "states rights" action. Gay marriage was always a state issue, the courts are meddling somewhere they should not. Using courts to force liberal laws upon red states is a violation of the constitution, the 10th amendment is pretty clear about state power vs federal. The first governor to stand up to these court edicts will be a patriot as far as I am concerned. No matter how you feel about homosexual marriage, any American should want to see our constitution respected. If you want gay marriage and live in Alabama then move to New England, and if you live in New England and are offended by the social liberalism there then move to Alabama. No one however has the right to dictate to the majority how they should live and what laws they should have. If one political movement takes over our government completely (liberal/progressives) and forces its will upon the states where the opposition to their policies and values live, then the very existence of the union is in question. Anger and resentment builds everyday in red state America, and this could turn into something in the future. Thousands signed those secession petitions in 2012 across the south, anyone really think those people just went away??? They still feel the same way today, but with more unpopular action from the feds their numbers could only have grown. Respecting the rights of states to make their own laws is the only way to preserve a happy unified nation. It is the only way such different places like Alabama, Utah and Massachusetts could exist under one flag. The founding fathers knew this and that is why state power was enshrined in the bill of rights. Gay marriage laws are a state issue, not one for federal courts.
Says the person who apparently has no idea about the US constitution.

Reading this gave me a headache. Where are people coming up with this stuff? Especially when what this person is preaching is almost verbatim the opposite of reality.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Says the person who apparently has no idea about the US constitution.

Reading this gave me a headache. Where are people coming up with this stuff? Especially when what this person is preaching is almost verbatim the opposite of reality.

I can't believe you're confused. So many people who go around spouting off that this or that is unconstitutional are absolutely clueless about the Constitution. The poster you're quoting is a great example of that. I believe it's probably a result of people watching clueless commentators on television coupled with the fact that schools no longer teach Civics. The erroneous claim that something is unconstitutional has become so routine and tiresome that I simply tune it out. In this particular instance, the process is following the U.S. Constitution to the letter.

I challenge this poster to inform us of which section of the Constitution that s/he believes is being violated.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:04 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
At least in TN, the state government will have to be dragged kicking and screaming by the feds. The people will never go for it.
That's what everyone was saying about Oklahoma, but now marriage equality is the law here and no one really seems to care.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Well, whether we like it or not, gay marriage has been legalized in my home state of North Carolina with a similar story up in Virginia. That leaves the majority of the rest of the south. When do you think it'll be legal in South Carolina? Or, the whole south in general? I have to confess that I'm no expert on how long it'll take, opinions?
Wrong forum, but here is my answer like it or lump it...

I equate gay marriage to the Ebola plague. As bad as it is, its spreading quickly & we can only do our best to stop it in its tracks.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Wrong forum, but here is my answer like it or lump it...

I equate gay marriage to the Ebola plague. As bad as it is, its spreading quickly & we can only do our best to stop it in its tracks.
Well, there is nothing you can do to stop it, if you don't like it move to a country where gay marriage will never be posable, like Iran.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:22 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Glad to see it. To be honest, I never thought gay marriage would be legal anywhere in the South so soon.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
The immediate political effect of this will be to turn the red states redder.
Probably not, its such a minor issue that it won't really cause any long term effects.

This is just a ego boost thread for northerners by over exaggerating the political division in this country (the South isnt that much more conservative compared to the North honestly) and they think their political beliefs are so much more superior than everyone else to the point where they have to resort to name calling "bible thumping, bigots"

Old 10-15-2014, 01:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
That's what everyone was saying about Oklahoma, but now marriage equality is the law here and no one really seems to care.
It seems to me northerners care the most.

*Gay marriage is now legal in a couple southern states
Southerns - *shrug shoulders "Ok, cool"
Northerners - "HAHAHAHA THOSE BIBLE THUMPING REDNECKS MUST BE SO PISSED HAHAHA!"

Old 10-15-2014, 01:48 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I'm looking at the list of states and the legal status/recognition of SSM, and it appears that the upper mountain/midwest states like Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas, and Nebraska...are equally conservative as the deep south states, if not more so.

Is religion a big thing up in those states like it is in the South? If not, what is likely the objection to same sex marriage up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.