Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 AM

66 posts, read 176,144 times

Advertisements

We are about to relocate from Maine and we need to have about 4 top east coast cities to put in for a request.

The only New England state available for this job is Hartford, Connecticut but after looking into it... it is far too violent. So anything below New England.

We have to live within 20 minutes to the city. If possible we would like to live within walking distance to restaurants and shops and/or on a lake or ocean. We have small children so it has to be reasonably safe and have good schools. We are looking for something in the $400,000 to lower $500,000 range. Big city or smaller city would work as long as it has lots of stuff to do... not too conservative... an artsy and alternative vibe with some culture would be great.

Richmond has been mentioned but I've heard that it is ultra conservative with undercurrents of being racist.

We are white and are not part of any organized religion... but are spiritual. So diversity is good as long as there is a good energy between the diverse people. I know every place has pockets of crime but some are much worse than others.

Pittsburgh was also mentioned but I heard that the weather was dreary to the extreme and it's very far from the coast. If we could live on a nice lake I am OK to live a little further from the coast but I don't think Pittsburgh will be a good fit.

Tampa was also mentioned... it's intriguing when I look at how much house you can buy... waterfront with a screened in pool too. But we need a few more options!

We're picky but in this case... we can be to a point! So please help us out!!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Tenafly, NJ
It has some of the best public schools in the state, it's 9 miles from Manhattan (via the George Washington Bridge), it has a quaint downtown, and it has a nice nature center within the town.

http://www.tenaflynj.org/

Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
DC ( inside the beltway). Has arguably the best suburbs on th east coast.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Tenafly, NJ
It has some of the best public schools in the state, it's 9 miles from Manhattan (via the George Washington Bridge), it has a quaint downtown, and it has a nice nature center within the town.

Borough of Tenafly, New Jersey - Home
Its also one of the most anti-Progressive towns in the Entire state.
Try Maplewood , Montclair , or Downtown Jersey City.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
Virginia Beach, VA
Hampton, VA
Chesapeake, VA
Richmond, VA
Northern Virginia

Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
Raleigh/research triangle NC
Charleston, SC

And while maybe a bit bias, having moved to Columbia 2 1/2 years ago, we've enjoyed the area very much.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its also one of the most anti-Progressive towns in the Entire state.
Try Maplewood , Montclair , or Downtown Jersey City.
Well it seems to be doing extremely well. I find it weird that Tenafly, an upper middle class suburb can be such an anti-progressive place.
Could you elaborate, because I seem to be missing something.

I prefer Maplewood/Montclair over Tenafly, but the OP wanted to be 20 minutes away from "the City" (NYC) unless being 20 minutes from Newark and or Jersey City is an option.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:26 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Well it seems to be doing extremely well. I find it weird that Tenafly, an upper middle class suburb can be such an anti-progressive place.
Could you elaborate, because I seem to be missing something.

I prefer Maplewood/Montclair over Tenafly, but the OP wanted to be 20 minutes away from "the City" (NYC) unless being 20 minutes from Newark and or Jersey City is an option.
They oppose the new Light Rail Extension to there town form North Bergen saying that it would bring crime and other stuff , and its hurting the people further up the line who could really use something like this. Most of the people along the line community to Jersey City or NYC. And its no secret that they are snobby , i have alot friends in that town.

Try New Brunswick,NJ, a nice college city and diverse culture city aswell as being 45mins south of NYC by train.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I think it's a big mistake to write off an entire region just because one city has high crime. Even within commuting distance to Hartford there are many very safe, nice cities and neighborhoods. And, for that matter, every other region of the country is also going to have its high crime areas. Hartford actually doesn't sound like it would be such a bad fit; I'm not that familiar with it, but just have friends who bought a place after years of renting. They used to live in West Hartford (totally separate from the city of Hartford), which was very nice. and was, I believe, very safe. Don't know about schools, but you can definitely find some excellent schools and safe communities within commuting distance of Hartford.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,645 times
Hartfords suburbs are some of the nicest in the country. West Hartford, Simsbury, Avon, Farmington... all pretty towns with premier public schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.