Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 05:02 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,765 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity-

... it seems that Americans are always stating they are tired of snow, cold, winter, and are moving to southern states to get away from it. No matter what their state of origin is.

Canadians don't seem to say that. Now, I'm aware that in order to move south, Canadians would have to leave their country, and I know that Canadians vacation in southern US. (My mother lives in Fla and sees the license plates on the cars.)

Why does it seem that you don't hear Canadians COMPLAIN about the winter, cold and snow like Americans do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 06:45 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times
It's like you said, if they wanted to get away from cold weather entirely, they would have to move to another country and the vast majority of people choose not to move away from their native country so they just learn to accept that they live in a four season climate with cold winters and get on with their lives. The U.S. is much more climatically diverse and gives us more options so people who don't like cold weather can move to a warm climate without leaving the country and vice versa.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
You just don't know enough Canadians. Our family is from rural Saskatchewan. They all ***** and moan about winter and agree everyone drinks too much during it. Our niece and her husband, who are large scale farmers, take off to Hawaii for a couple of months. Others head down to Vegas or Palm Desert.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:51 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
Canadians don't have a choice. If they want to live in Canada they have to deal with snow lol. Canada doesn't have an Arizona or Florida-equivalent place to relocate to. So they have accepted it as part of their reality as a Canadian.

That being said, plenty of Canadians hate it enough to invade Arizona during the winter months. You should see all the BC and Alberta license plates down here.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,094,285 times
As far as I understand, Canadians all dream of moving to Vancouver, the Canadian Shangri-la where snow is uncommon in winter.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Out of curiosity-
... it seems that Americans are always stating they are tired of snow, cold, winter, and are moving to southern states to get away from it. No matter what their state of origin is.
Canadians don't seem to say that. Now, I'm aware that in order to move south, Canadians would have to leave their country, and I know that Canadians vacation in southern US. (My mother lives in Fla and sees the license plates on the cars.)
Why does it seem that you don't hear Canadians COMPLAIN about the winter, cold and snow like Americans do?
If Canadians are in Florida when you see them they have no reason to complain about the cold because in theory Florida is not cold.
The rest of the time you don't hear Canadians complain about the cold I believe would be because
they live in Canada and you do not.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Maybe cuz their culture heavily revolves around winter time activities. Hockey, curling, skiing etc. are very popular in Canada. I've noticed that the majority of winter whiners come from the northeast. You hear way less moaning from Midwesterners. (Not to say there's no moaning at all.) But in my experience, a New Yorker is more likely to complain and gripe at 35 degrees where at 15 degrees, a Minnesotan is planning to go ice fishing or snow mobiling.

People from very cold climates adapt and find things to do, because their is no point in whining for 4 months. People in cold but not that cold places probably spend more time impatiently waiting for spring and their winters aren't cold enough to ice skate without worrying about the ice cracking.

I think it's also an urban/rural thing. I think people from big cities are less hardened to the elements, compared to someone from a rural area who is used to working outside. Rural Texans, despite not being from a cold climate, don't really complain much when its below freezing.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:01 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Out of curiosity-

They leave for Florida for the winter, so why complain?

Old 07-05-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Maybe cuz their culture heavily revolves around winter time activities. Hockey, curling, skiing etc. are very popular in Canada. I've noticed that the majority of winter whiners come from the northeast. You hear way less moaning from Midwesterners. (Not to say there's no moaning at all.) But in my experience, a New Yorker is more likely to complain and gripe at 35 degrees where at 15 degrees, a Minnesotan is planning to go ice fishing or snow mobiling.

People from very cold climates adapt and find things to do, because their is no point in whining for 4 months. People in cold but not that cold places probably spend more time impatiently waiting for spring and their winters aren't cold enough to ice skate without worrying about the ice cracking.

I think it's also an urban/rural thing. I think people from big cities are less hardened to the elements, compared to someone from a rural area who is used to working outside. Rural Texans, despite not being from a cold climate, don't really complain much when its below freezing.
Thanks everyone. I agree with the "winter culture". We know ppl in Wisconsin and they really don't complain about the winter, where they go snowmobiling and do other winter sports, while we tend to hibernate around the woodstove. I've noticed even ppl who live in Vermont or the Adirondacks in NY, will get out more, then ppl who live in the Albany or Hudson Valley areas.

On the other hand, while we will wear T-shirts when it's in the 50's. we see tourists (by their cars with out of state plates), with coats, hats, and scarfs on. It became a "game" to pick out the tourists- their clothes where also more yuppie/ LL Bean-ish than the locals.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
As far as I understand, Canadians all dream of moving to Vancouver, the Canadian Shangri-la where snow is uncommon in winter.

I'd take Vancouver also- beautiful city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.