Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you hear Washington, you think of?
I think of Washington state. 25 37.31%
I think of Washington DC. 33 49.25%
I don't know. I would ask or wait for more context to figure it out. 9 13.43%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times

Advertisements

Context matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 11:24 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Before I moved to CA, Washington state was never mentioned, and "Washington" always referred to the city. I lived in the Midwest, Northeast, and moved here from the DC area.

After living in CA now, when Washington is mentioned, it almost always refers to the state, but I have to pay closer attention to the context of the conversation.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 AM

33 posts, read 27,497 times
I live in the Netherlands. On the news it is almost always about D.C. so that will come in my mind first. But I did visit the state, really loved Mt. Rainier and Olympic NP, and saw only Washington International Airport as a hub to get elsewhere. So i know there is a state called Washington but that isn't common knowledge overhere.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
generally would think of the city first, but also some context

Here if I heard someone say heading down to washington for the weekend it is simple, but then again being about 2 hours away here that makes more sense than elsewhere

I have asked at times to clarify when only washington is given As Jersey girl said earlier it is not uncommon to here the city referenced as DC or Washington, even to a lessor extent the district

Old 11-10-2014, 11:16 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
generally would think of the city first, but also some context

Here if I heard someone say heading down to washington for the weekend it is simple, but then again being about 2 hours away here that makes more sense than elsewhere

I have asked at times to clarify when only washington is given As Jersey girl said earlier it is not uncommon to here the city referenced as DC or Washington, even to a lessor extent the district
Agree, and that is the exact type of situation I mean when I would say just "Washington" - like, "I'm heading down to Washington for the weekend." Simple. It does often depend on context I think. Also, when watching/referring to a Mets/Nats game, asking "Is the game in New York or in Washington?" That type of thing.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:00 PM

603 posts, read 931,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaniem View Post
I live in the Netherlands. On the news it is almost always about D.C. so that will come in my mind first. But I did visit the state, really loved Mt. Rainier and Olympic NP, and saw only Washington International Airport as a hub to get elsewhere. So i know there is a state called Washington but that isn't common knowledge overhere.
This is what I would expect to be normal for people outside the US. I think the capital would be much more well known than the state. Well, maybe those in western Canada, like in British Columbia and Alberta, would think of the state of Washington.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:12 PM

645 posts, read 835,211 times
D.C. Capital takes precedence for me.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:43 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times
The state.

People where I live rarely refer to Washington DC as "Washington" - it's more commonly called "DC" or occasionally "the District", and I've also heard it used to refer to Washington County, MD. So when people say "Washington" the state comes to mind first.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:13 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
It's pretty obvious (to me at least) that people in the Eastern half of the nation are most likely going to think of the nation's capitol, whereas people out West are going to think of the state. It's a total "East-West" thing. And since there are more people living in the Eastern half of the nation than in the Western half, it stands to reason that D.C. is winning in this poll (not that C-D polls are typically accurate barometers of reality, but this one makes sense).

I grew up in Texas, and it went 50-50 either way there. Most people I knew said "D.C." when referring to the city though.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times
I live in part of what is sometimes referred to as the "Greater Northwest", so Washington State is always what immediately comes to mind for me. Although "Washington" will usually refer to D.C. when used in the context of federal elections, it's often referred to here as just "D.C."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.