Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:34 PM

29 posts, read 44,867 times

Advertisements

Great public transportation that is not too expensive for a monthly pass.
Many jobs that don't require a college degree.
Apartments under $1,300 a month.
The ocean touches one of the states borders (I don't want to be land locked!)
The cost of living is A LOT cheaper than places like New York City and San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 01:47 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,967,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNerd View Post
The cost of living is A LOT cheaper than places like New York City and San Francisco.
So I take it the Great Lakes aren't an ocean.

Cross off LA and San Francisco. Seattle too. Portland, but it doesn't have much in the way of any jobs, let alone ones that don't require a degree. San Diego comes close, but transit might be light. I don't know much about Texas or Florida, but they would apply assuming the public transit is sufficient, though TX probably better for jobs. Atlanta isn't in a landlocked state, but somehow Philadelphia is. DC isn't even in a state. Boston probably too expensive.

There you go.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:35 AM

42 posts, read 44,506 times
Quote:
Where you live depends on where you can find work.

1. Non-landlocked US states: Alaska, Oregon, California, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine.

2. States with 5.8 percent unemployment (average in the U.S.) or under: New Hampshire, Texas, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maine.

3. Cites with the lowest unemployment-rate are all in Texas (2014) and these are Austin, Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio.

4. Only a few cities have good public transportations. Washington DC, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have decent public transportation but I don’t think you will have an easy time finding employment there but it of course depends what your skills and experience are. Washington DC is what I know pretty expensive. If I was you I would look into Texas. It is pretty much the only State in the US which has some kind of job-market for average people with or without college degrees. Washington DC is great – if you can find a good paying job above minimum wage and if you cannot you will sleep on the streets or live on welfare in some kind of ghetto.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylock View Post
Where you live depends on where you can find work.

1. Non-landlocked US states: Alaska, Oregon, California, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine.

2. States with 5.8 percent unemployment (average in the U.S.) or under: New Hampshire, Texas, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maine.

3. Cites with the lowest unemployment-rate are all in Texas (2014) and these are Austin, Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio.

4. Only a few cities have good public transportations. Washington DC, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have decent public transportation but I don’t think you will have an easy time finding employment there but it of course depends what your skills and experience are. Washington DC is what I know pretty expensive. If I was you I would look into Texas. It is pretty much the only State in the US which has some kind of job-market for average people with or without college degrees. Washington DC is great – if you can find a good paying job above minimum wage and if you cannot you will sleep on the streets or live on welfare in some kind of ghetto.
According to googling, Texas doesn't have any good transit. NYC has the best in the country, but I don't want to live there! NYC is the most or at least one of the most expensive cities to love in the US and I'd love to visit there but it sounds like a terrible place to live. I love the idea of everything being close together and transit if walking would still take too long, but I don't like the idea of barely being able to afford basic life and seeing rats everywhere.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:53 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,017,940 times
Quote:
According to googling, Texas doesn't have any good transit. NYC has the best in the country, but I don't want to live there! NYC is the most or at least one of the most expensive cities to love in the US and I'd love to visit there but it sounds like a terrible place to live. I love the idea of everything being close together and transit if walking would still take too long, but I don't like the idea of barely being able to afford basic life and seeing rats everywhere.
Dallas has an extensive rail system.

Houston has one of, if not the largest bus fleets in the entire country.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

I read Houston is one of the most car dependent if not the most car dependent city in the US!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
I don't recall costs being an issue there, bu I would have to say in alphabetical order:
Baltimore
Boston
New York City
Washington, D.C.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,978,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Do you ever leave Texas?

Old 11-25-2014, 12:22 PM

93,608 posts, read 124,322,716 times
Ithaca NY is one that comes to mind. Albany NY may be another one. Having more specific criteria would help in some categories, but those are a couple that come to mind. I'm sure that there are others.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
So I take it the Great Lakes aren't an ocean.

Cross off LA and San Francisco. Seattle too. Portland, but it doesn't have much in the way of any jobs, let alone ones that don't require a degree. San Diego comes close, but transit might be light. I don't know much about Texas or Florida, but they would apply assuming the public transit is sufficient, though TX probably better for jobs. Atlanta isn't in a landlocked state, but somehow Philadelphia is. DC isn't even in a state. Boston probably too expensive.

There you go.
Seattle is in the state of Washington. There is a border that touches the ocean. I just think it'd be cool to live in a state with an ocean by it, otherwise you'd have to travel farther just to go to a beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.